VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:29:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I have finally recovered from vacation  (Read 4770 times)
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2014, 04:57:32 EDT »

Just spent 5 days at the beach.  Eating sea food, drinking beer, playing in the surf, and walking in the sand. I think the drive was the worst part. Good thing I just retired and do not have to worry about work.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:51:04 EDT »

Where did you go?

We head to the coast in October. Perfect weather and we don't have to worry about the crowds.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:12:26 EDT »

Just spent 5 days at the beach.  Eating sea food, drinking beer, playing in the surf, and walking in the sand. I think the drive was the worst part. Good thing I just retired and do not have to worry about work.

I just got back last weekend from 5 days at Gulf Shores.  It was amazing.  Temperature topped in the mid 80s and it was almost deserted.  Hope you had an equally good time.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:29:50 EDT »

We went to Myrtle Beach SC.  Have been going there since 1986 and staying in the same beachfront motel (now a resort). Less than 7 hour drive, which is important now because my wife only misses one fluid exchange on travel. Any drive approaching 8+ hours would be out of the question.  The beach at resort is not crowded and places to eat and drink are close enough to walk to. We can relax and recharge there.

Our son was 4-1/2 the first time we went and it became his favorite spot in the world followed by DisneyWorld. Playing in the ocean, riding waves, and salt air just relieved all the tension from work. After our son died in 2004, it offers a place where we can remember good and happy times and has helped us keep what is left of our minds. My wife and I went to Panama City twice, enjoyed it, but it is a long drive from Knoxville.  

My advice is no matter where you go just take off with your loved one or ones, go some place that makes you happy, and have a good time. Go now while you can enjoy it and do not wait until later. You do not have to spend a lot of money, but go with your little ones to enjoy your time with them. You just do not know what the future holds.

Now I need to fire up my new grill to burn of the oils left from assembly and go hit the store for beef or chicken. Happy holiday every one.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:04:10 EDT »

I'll be at Myrtle Beach a week from today.   

Like you 73, it's a place we go just about every year but to me it doesn't get old.  It's a place full of good memories and it makes me happy to create new ones with my wife and son.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:54:07 EDT »

We always go to Drunken Jacks and Sea Captains House. Started going to Dirty Don's Oyster Bar & Grill the day we drive in because we can walk to it, drink a lot (they have great bar specials), and walk back. Depending on the number of days we stay, we hit some other seafood place not a chain or by large shrimp to boil and then Margaritaville or Land Shark for Perfect Margarita the last day. If my knee and back are not aching, I go play a Par 3 course.

Going to the beach is for having fun, eating as much shrimp and scallops as I can stomach, and sitting looking out at the ocean.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 09:18:56 EDT »

We always go to Drunken Jacks and Sea Captains House. Started going to Dirty Don's Oyster Bar & Grill the day we drive in because we can walk to it, drink a lot (they have great bar specials), and walk back. Depending on the number of days we stay, we hit some other seafood place not a chain or by large shrimp to boil and then Margaritaville or Land Shark for Perfect Margarita the last day. If my knee and back are not aching, I go play a Par 3 course.

Going to the beach is for having fun, eating as much shrimp and scallops as I can stomach, and sitting looking out at the ocean.

Crabby Mike's is the best seafood buffett there imo, and there's a well kept secret called Gulfstream Cafe down on Murrell's Inlet.   
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:27:03 EDT »

Just spent 5 days at the beach.  Eating sea food, drinking beer, playing in the surf, and walking in the sand. I think the drive was the worst part. Good thing I just retired and do not have to worry about work.

Speaking of the drive on being on vacation being bad, we left for the west Wednesday and so far are up to 2200+ miles. Left the Rockies in Colorado this am and now in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for several days. Still have to go up near the Canadian border in Montana to Glacier National Park (staying in Whitefish), and then making our way back down to Las Vegas, LA, and finally to Arizona. Might start back in about two and a half more weeks, but no date set for the return to Alabama...might be at longer. Speaking of being tired after a vacation

BG
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:56:26 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:42:44 EDT »

Speaking of the drive on being on vacation being bad, we left for the west Wednesday and so far are up to 2200+ miles. Left the Rockies in Colorado this am and now in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for several days. Still have to go up near the Canadian border in Montana to Glacier National Park (staying in Whitefish), and then making our way back down to Las Vegas, LA, and finally to Arizona. Might start back in about two and a half more weeks, but no date set for the return to Alabama...might be at longer. Speaking of being tired after a vacation

BG

Do you have a motor home?

The Northwest is a place I have not visited much, and I plan to do a "Grand Tour" sometime.  But I will go through St. Louis, to Rushmore, Little Big Horn and then Yellowstone if I can stretch it that far.  Then come home through Colorado, and Kansas if I have time to go that far.  I will hit several states I have never been to that way.  Eventually, I want to visit every single state.   I have Hawaii and Alaska out of the way, so the rest should be easy.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:47:43 EDT »

I'm headed for PCB three weeks from today. First real vacation I've taken in 11 years...it'll be nice to be able to make the 9-hour drive and not turn around and come back in a day or two!! 
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:31 EDT »

Bandit,  no motor home just took the car. I went through southern Illinois and St.Louis because there was a particular Indian site I wanted view named Cahokia. We did Kansas and there was nobody home After Topika, you drive and see virtually nothing but wide open spaces. This is our grand tour and something we have always wanted to do.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:20:03 EDT »

Bandit,  no motor home just took the car. I went through southern Illinois and St.Louis because there was a particular Indian site I wanted view named Cahokia. We did Kansas and there was nobody home After Topika, you drive and see virtually nothing but wide open spaces. This is our grand tour and something we have always wanted to do.

BG

Right.  Kansas is more or less just a place to drive through on the way home, lol.   

Although there are a couple of historical Western type sites that have been recommended to me, so who knows?

While we are on the topic of vacations, my trip to Gulf Shores was two couples.  The male in the other couple is a huge bammer fan.  We shared a two bedroom condo, so there was a common TV, right?  There are two sources of TV in Gulf Shores...some stations are Mobile and others are Pensacola.  My buddy flat refused to watch the Pensacola stations because they were in Florida.

Seriously...WHAT THE fizzle is wrong with you bammers!   

To be such a "loyal bammer" that you won't even watch a TV station because "it's not Alabama".  That right there is a special breed of crazy.   

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 04:40:39 EDT »

Right.  Kansas is more or less just a place to drive through on the way home, lol.  

Although there are a couple of historical Western type sites that have been recommended to me, so who knows?

While we are on the topic of vacations, my trip to Gulf Shores was two couples.  The male in the other couple is a huge bammer fan.  We shared a two bedroom condo, so there was a common TV, right?  There are two sources of TV in Gulf Shores...some stations are Mobile and others are Pensacola.  My buddy flat refused to watch the Pensacola stations because they were in Florida.

Seriously...WHAT THE fizzle is wrong with you bammers!  

To be such a "loyal bammer" that you won't even watch a TV station because "it's not Alabama".  That right there is a special breed of crazy.  

Strange indeed!  The Pensacola stations probably report more Bama news than Florida or Seminole news. I know the type though. My son 'n law hates Apple because since Jobs died it's run by an Auburn alum. Seriously he will  not buy anything from them!

BG

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:48:12 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:55 EDT »

Last year Karen & I took my Dad's class A motorhome (one bed/table combo; it has bath facilities, but the bath was needed for storage; a stove, microwave & a fidge) and went to the FL panhandle. Quit driving at Pensecola Beach. Hung there for 4 days. Cooked on the fire or went out. Hooked-up with her bartender nephew and had a blast!

The vehicle had a van nose and enlarged (not much) rear end. It was still small, for sure. But, it was fantastic. Dad sold it the week after returning; we found him a buyer. Hate that, but he was no longer using it.

I would love to take a trip in a larger coach. We hit a FL State Park down there & we were very comfortable in that little thing. We cooked breakfast, but dined out. TV was still analog, but we didn't miss it. Sitting around the fire just chatting and looking at the stars was so relaxing!

The folks that bought the "Great White Shark" gave it up about 7mos later and went bigger, they loved it so much as a way to travel. I want to do that again. but this time I want a kitchen oven & living/dining room. And since you are driving, you need to take your time because it's not worth it if you don't do at least 10 days or you may as well fly Southwest. ("Karen, bing some of those shrimp outta the fidge" while tooling down the road is sweet!) She wouldn't drive it, too scared. Captain's chair was nice, but I want better if she ain't getting behind the wheel!

I once had a semi-wise man tell me: spend a week in the car with the woman you love; if you get along and enjoy each other every minute, she's a keeper. We did and we have.

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: