VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 11:31:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay folks be honest. How many of you follow soccer or give a rats butt  (Read 19431 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 08:27:21 EDT »

I have heard that and heard that and heard that and STILL will keep hearing that and it will NEVER be true.

All the experts "knew" that after the World Cup '94 that soccer would "take off" in the US.  Yet here we are 20 years later waiting for the engines to ignite.

Until it is a comercial success in the US it will continue to die once people reach 18-22.

The ratings for this world cup are ridiculously higher than the '94 cup. Look it up. That's what I am talking about, and that's why ESPN/ABC are showing every match. I don't know if the sport will ever rival football, basketball, or even baseball in popularity in the US, but my statement that it is growing and continues to grow in popularity isn't false. Never is a really long time.  I suspect as the population demographics change in this country over the next 20-30 years, so will the popularity of the game.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:26 EDT »

Didn't we fight two wars with England so we wouldn't have to live their way of life, do the things they do, and like the things they like?  Seems to me, it's our patriotic duty to tune out.

that's why we don't play cricket. Soccer isn't their game. It has really ancient origins that can be tied back to Egypt.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 12:18:33 EDT »

The ratings for this world cup are ridiculously higher than the '94 cup. Look it up. That's what I am talking about, and that's why ESPN/ABC are showing every match. I don't know if the sport will ever rival football, basketball, or even baseball in popularity in the US, but my statement that it is growing and continues to grow in popularity isn't false. Never is a really long time.  I suspect as the population demographics change in this country over the next 20-30 years, so will the popularity of the game.
and yet soccer STILL will NOT become popular.  You are correct, the demographics cange will. in fact, doom soccer yet again.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 06:47:16 EDT »

and yet once they graduate HS the interest dies.
I spent a lot of time in the Tampa-by-the-Bay region which is a hot bed of soccer.  There are multiple (good) traveling team organizations within the bay area, several of the local HS are always represented deep into the state playoffs (a few years ago Gaither and Bloomingdale were in the final 4 every year for several years).  Yet, except for a few adult teams, after HS there is no soccer.  Pro soccer failed miserably there as well.

As Bandit noted, it may be fun to play but is is boring as hell to watch and that is the death nell to the sport in this country

Well, from what I have seen, it's followed heavily by younger adults in their 20s and into their early 30s even.  The brewery I went to last night was simply packed and the great majority were under 35.  So I would disagree that they stop watching or following after HS.  Probably many do, but at least a substantial minority do not IMO.  Colin Cowherd made an interesting point on my morning drive, which is that since many soccer fans watch on other media such as tablets or smart phones and/or gather in groups at bars, the true ratings often are not reflected since ratings only monitor watching at home on traditional TV.

As for development, it is above the HS level that is really penalizing US soccer to this day.  There simply is no club level equivalent of minor league baseball in this country.  College soccer is not enough...the US needs more of a local club system to serve as a developmental league to MLS and overseas.   There has been an attempt to do this.  Huntsville has a minor league team (Rocket City United) that is reasonably well attended but it's still not enough.  Not sure what the solution is, but it may come in time.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 06:49:02 EDT »

Note that Faulkner wrote no books about soccer.  He started a couple, but fell asleep after the first couple of pages.

Good one.  But you are correct, soccer was not his subject, it was rural culture as exemplified in "As I Lay Dying".  Which, if anyone has read that, they know what I mean.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:49 EDT »

that's why we don't play cricket. Soccer isn't their game. It has really ancient origins that can be tied back to Egypt.

But can any civilized culture really claim to have "invented" soccer?  It's a pretty simple game.  It can probably be traced back to when Urgh the Caveman passed the time by trying to kick rocks between his wooly mammoth's legs. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:40 EDT »

and yet soccer STILL will NOT become popular.  You are correct, the demographics cange will. in fact, doom soccer yet again.

disagree, the hispanic population alone will drive the popularity, and make no mistake, by 2030, this country will be about 18-20% hispanic. It's already about 12-13%

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 08:44:04 EDT »

Which is another problem to deal with.  It would be cheaper to give Mexico money to build their economy than to have them come and destroy ours. What is the answer to limit immigration?

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 08:46:52 EDT »

Who knew that mentioning the word "hispanic" would send a soccer thread to the Politivol forum? 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 08:59:23 EDT »

Didn't mean it that way. Just seems hordes of people aren't crossing the borders to get TO Mexico. And yes, events like the World Cup are nothing but political. I for one do not want the USA to become North Mexico. Probably happening anyway. If it happens, we will get to see what it's like to live in a country with Mexico's economy. Does this sound racist? I think not. Just a concerned American.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 09:21:34 EDT »

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think this is a subject that can survive in an open forum setting. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:26 EDT »

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think this is a subject that can survive in an open forum setting. 

Sure it can.  I don't know of anybody here who doesn't like Mexican food.   

Looking forward to some next week, by the way, when we go down to visit my son, daughter in law, and grandson at Fort Hood.  They actually bought a house in Jarrell, which is halfway between Killeen and Austin.  Going to see the Home of the Longwhorens for the first time in about 35 years. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 09:53:03 EDT »

Austin is a nice town, in spite of the Longhorns.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 10:30:52 EDT »

In spite of soccer's popularity, Lebron's news of opting out of his contract was number one news story of US Soccer team members. They were all over it on twitter.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 07:00:48 EDT »

In spite of soccer's popularity, Lebron's news of opting out of his contract was number one news story of US Soccer team members. They were all over it on twitter.

Enough about LeBron.  Could give a rat's ass.

As for Mexico, if US employers were not addicted to cheap labor it wouldn't happen, and different ethnic groups throughout history have had economic success, so, "no", we won't be "north Mexico".

But yeah, I like Mexican food also.   

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:19 EDT »

As for Mexico, if US employers were not addicted to cheap labor it wouldn't happen, and different ethnic groups throughout history have had economic success, so, "no", we won't be "north Mexico".

And if our President and corrupt AG wouldn't announce that they are ignoring immigration laws that they are constitutionally sworn to enforce it would help. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:50 EDT »

Really! What other administration in the last 20-30 years was tough on immigration. Answer...none. BTW I read somewhere that in about 30 years us white folks will be a minority in the US. Just don't quite know how to wrap my head around that. Us white folks made the US the utopian haven it is for immigrants. Go figure. Kinda like we are administering our own demise.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:35 EDT »

Really! What other administration in the last 20-30 years was tough on immigration. Answer...none. BTW I read somewhere that in about 30 years us white folks will be a minority in the US. Just don't quite know how to wrap my head around that. Us white folks made the US the utopian haven it is for immigrants. Go figure. Kinda like we are administering our own demise.

You've got to be kidding me, VB.  There are ZERO immigration restrictions at this point, and especially coming through the Texas/New Mexico/Arizona borders.  This administration refuses to follow the laws that they are sworn to uphold. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 06:03:04 EDT »

So you are telling me that the border patrols are catching no one at the border and sending them back. I want to see proof of that.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 06:48:02 EDT »

Didn't mean it that way. Just seems hordes of people aren't crossing the borders to get TO Mexico. And yes, events like the World Cup are nothing but political. I for one do not want the USA to become North Mexico. Probably happening anyway. If it happens, we will get to see what it's like to live in a country with Mexico's economy. Does this sound racist? I think not. Just a concerned American.

The rate of immigration from Mexico is down...a LOT, and has been going down for a couple of years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us/mexican-immigration-to-united-states-slows.html?_r=0

However, the ones that are here are going to breed and breed a lot. That's the population I am talking about, and its intended as a soccer comment, not a political one.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:52:30 EDT by Volznut » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 09:38:47 EDT »

The rate of immigration from Mexico is down...a LOT, and has been going down for a couple of years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us/mexican-immigration-to-united-states-slows.html?_r=0

However, the ones that are here are going to breed and breed a lot. That's the population I am talking about, and its intended as a soccer comment, not a political one.

Geez Louise, Nut.  What planet do you live on?  There's a difference in immigration and illegal immigration.  If you are telling me that the rate of illegal immigration of central American Hispanics coming from across the Mexican border is down then you have your head in the sand. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 10:54:54 EDT »

But Herb, you make it sound like the border patrol is not on the job anymore. I'm sure they catch and turn back many everyday. I am sorry this thread was turned political by me. Didn't mean for it to at all. I still don't like soccer. And Immigration needs some attention.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:07 EDT »

I'm with volsboy on that one...no administration has ever enforced the immigration laws.  Too much money is being made and it would be very costly to do so.  Something does need to happen, hopefully it will.

And now...back to sports.   

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: