VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 03:03:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I haven't had a dip of Copenhagen in 4 days. I am 53 years old and started  (Read 3230 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:17:41 EDT »

chewing at about 12-13 years old. My best friend was playing baseball for TN High School. I was in my last year of little league. He gave me a dip and I have been chewing ever since. Over 40 years. I have had no related issues with chewing but Tony Gwynne's death really hit home. I think I will stay quit. But I do believe people are predisposed to get cancer. I think a lot of it is genetic. Too many people do things that are supposedly bad for their health and never experience any health related effects. That being said, I am sure chewing does nothing positive for anyone's health. You can say anything is bad for you. Like, did you know that 90% of people who die of cancer, drink milk or have drunk milk in their lifetime? Is milk dangerous? Anyone who tries to quit an addiction, I know have a new respect of what you go through. The worst part of it is that you feel funny doing certain things without a dip that you always had a dip in while doing. Thanks for listening.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:36:51 EDT »

My cousin gave me a dip when I was a teenager once.  It was the most awful thing I've ever tasted.  Made me dizzy and just about made me puke.  Never again, no thanks.   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:44:59 EDT »

chewing at about 12-13 years old. My best friend was playing baseball for TN High School. I was in my last year of little league. He gave me a dip and I have been chewing ever since. Over 40 years. I have had no related issues with chewing but Tony Gwynne's death really hit home. I think I will stay quit. But I do believe people are predisposed to get cancer. I think a lot of it is genetic. Too many people do things that are supposedly bad for their health and never experience any health related effects. That being said, I am sure chewing does nothing positive for anyone's health. You can say anything is bad for you. Like, did you know that 90% of people who die of cancer, drink milk or have drunk milk in their lifetime? Is milk dangerous? Anyone who tries to quit an addiction, I know have a new respect of what you go through. The worst part of it is that you feel funny doing certain things without a dip that you always had a dip in while doing. Thanks for listening.

Good luck. It's an unhealthy and disgusting habit, and you'll be so much better off without it.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:23 EDT »

My cousin gave me a dip when I was a teenager once.  It was the most awful thing I've ever tasted.  Made me dizzy and just about made me puke.  Never again, no thanks.   

Same here. Tried it, found it disgusting, never tried it again. I enjoy a good cigar (or a cheap cigar; I'm not picky   ) but that's as close as I'll ever get to being a tobacco addict.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:17:21 EDT »

I enjoy a good cigar (or a cheap cigar; I'm not picky   ) but that's as close as I'll ever get to being a tobacco addict.

Ditto.   
JBuck
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:28:56 EDT »

I played college baseball and dipped from adolescence until a few years after I quit playing.  It was the culture of ball that brought me to dip.  I'm thankful I quit.  While there are many health benefits (yes, I believe it caused Tony Gwynn's death), run the financial numbers of what you will save not buying that can or roll and you'll be extra-glad to give it up.

Best wishes to you - don't give in!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:50 EDT »

Good for you and I'll always be supportive!        

You are correct that tobacco products don't cause cancer; they CAN lead to cancer and often do so. Let me clarify: if tobacco caused cancer, all long-term users would get cancer and we know that not to be true. However, tobacco is NOT good and does not treat your body well! Some say that tobacco is more addictive than opiates; that is a load of crap. It's a habit and habits can be ssubstituted for better habits, but you need a contradictory habit. If you feel like a dip, drink a glass of milk or eat a banana. Tobacco and those flavors will not blend! And that changes the habit to a healthy habit.

Just a tip that I hope helps you.

G
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:41:42 EDT by GreggO » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 05:03:14 EDT »

Best of luck.

Cancer is caused by many things, carcinogens being a big factor.

It's really a disease of the brain - the brain is fooled into thinking that mutating cells in an area is ok, and doesn't fight it. If you get a cut, it does the same thing, it allows the scab to form, but knows when to shut it down. So really, until we figure out how to manipulate the brain into stopping or reversing cell mutation, we don't have a cure. Poisoning your body like chemotherapy isn't really a good solution.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 06:51:37 EDT »

I used to walk home from school in Elementary, and in fifth or fourth grade a buddy of mine gave me a pinch.  I accidentally swallowed some and nearly threw up.   That was enough for me!   

Hope you can stay  on the wagon.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: