VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 02:22:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I see Howard Baker has passed away. It seems like he was in office for  (Read 2315 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:10:50 EDT »

the most part of my life. I am 53. Sad, a lot of people from my younger days are passing on. Time waits for none of us.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:31:01 EDT »

I spent a few minutes with him once, in Iceland of all places.  He was up for some formal meeting or another and as a card carrying resident of Tennessee I was one of those selected to meet with him.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:58:33 EDT »

Baker was a great man, and a good politician. He would've been a fine president, I believe, and he would've been president if Reagan hadn't been on the scene at the time...of course, he did well enough as Reagan's chief of staff. I didn't realize until I was reading today just how much Reagan's White House was in disarray in '87 before he appointed Baker to replace Regan. They don't make politicians in that mold anymore: guys who were more interested in right vs. wrong than right vs. left.

I really got to know Baker in the early '00s, after he returned from his ambassador stint in Japan. He was genuine to the core. Very smart and very honest. He had a series of mini strokes in recent years that caused him to lose control of his facial expressions, so he stopped making public appearances, but his mind remained as sharp as a tack (and he was just as eloquent a speaker as ever) right up until the very end.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 11:27:40 EDT »

A hastily prepared video tribute I put together today for our website.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ys4wstf7nGE?rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ys4wstf7nGE?rel=0</a>
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:49:26 EDT »

"What did the President know, and when did he know it?"

Howard Baker became a household name, and earned the respect of Americans with his direct, honest, and non-partisan conduct during Watergate.  Good man!

Great TV, that Watergate series, right there with Breaking Bad.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: