VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:20:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody have any insights, opinions or thoughts on wind farms? Great oportunity  (Read 2145 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:24:14 EDT »

in South Dakota to invest in them. Haven't researched it yet, but what kind of profits do they produce. I hear lots of positive and negative comments about them. Some hate them. Some love them. If they weren't subsidized, would they even be viable. But wait, farming and oil companies are subsidized too. They are surely viable. Check out Dakota Power Community Wind at dpcwind.com.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:04:56 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:12:36 EDT »

Wind farms have to have a large subsidy to be viable to pay back the large investment. Wind farms work well if the electricity produced does not have to be transmitted long distances. The drop in amperage can be high across AC distribution lines and works better if DC lines are used. There are very few DC transmission lines and you need a conversion station somewhere.  I just cannot see how this can make money unless a long-term contract to purchase electricity is in place. South Dakota would be a good location because there are few high places to interrupt the wind as it blows across the plains.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:43:08 EDT »

These "farms" were a mind blowing experience to see on my recent trip to the west. Mile after mile after mile of them as far as one could see.

BG
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:52:03 EDT »

I've seen them in Idaho.  Lots of homes have a single one in the yard.  Surely they can't rely solely on it for power, but maybe as a backup?   
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:32 EDT »

minimum investment is $4000. Anyone wanna go halvsies?

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: