VTTW Board Index
July 04, 2024, 11:25:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a Chris Low/ESPN article on Worley....  (Read 4333 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:17 EDT »

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/87929/qb-worley-steadying-influence-on-vols
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:42 EDT »

I wonder if going to the Manning QB camp helped also?
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:56 EDT »

I guess on some other messageboards I would be called a negavol, but for Tennessee to be competitive in the SEC, Worley will have to throw the ball down the field...and he still ain't got that ability, if Sunday's game was any indication. Don't get me wrong -- he has obviously improved since last season and I'm happy to see it. I've never seen Worley play with the calm and poise he showed against USU. But his throws down the field were just not on target. Because we can't overwhelm opponents with our running game, we're going to struggle to score points once we start going up against SEC defenses.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:12 EDT »

I guess on some other messageboards I would be called a negavol, but for Tennessee to be competitive in the SEC, Worley will have to throw the ball down the field...and he still ain't got that ability, if Sunday's game was any indication. Don't get me wrong -- he has obviously improved since last season and I'm happy to see it. I've never seen Worley play with the calm and poise he showed against USU. But his throws down the field were just not on target. Because we can't overwhelm opponents with our running game, we're going to struggle to score points once we start going up against SEC defenses.

I admit I am not the most knowledgable fan, BUT are overthrows "better" than underthrows? On the downfield attempts I recall overthrows vs. USU. I personally am "negavols" about the OL. That is what will get the D worn down, and we just don't have a lot of options particularly if Blair is a bust and/or redshirt.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:15:30 EDT »

He connected on some long throws last season.  I'd give it a few more games before concluding he can't throw long.  Dobbs was the one I thought struggled long.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:49:02 EDT »

Obviously the QB has to take what the defense is giving you.  On several plays there were some long throws available, but there were also some 10-15 yard throws that were the primary calls and Worley took them.  Also Josh Malone had a great catch on a 20 yard hitch kind of pattern that he took for another 20 yards after the catch (YAC).  Now I don't care if the receiver catches a 10 yard pass and takes it another 60 yards for a score or if he catches a 40 yard pass and takes it another 30 yards for a score....guess what it is still a TD no matter what you or I think of Worley's capabilities as a QB.  In other words the weapons that Worley has available this year as oppossed to last year is like night and day.  The fact that he is seeing the field and completing the passes in stride to Malone and Pearson and others is a true testament to the growth of Worley as a QB.  In fact I will argue with you all day that the completion percentage of "long balls" makes them a lower factor in rating a QB.    I factor in turnovers, percentage of completions, keeping the team out of the dreaded long third downs, and does he manage the game to give UT the greatest chance to win.  All this lacky clacky about "he can't throw a ball 50 yards and hit a flea with the point of the football" is such a misleading stat. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:26:50 EDT »

I admit I am not the most knowledgable fan, BUT are overthrows "better" than underthrows? On the downfield attempts I recall overthrows vs. USU. I personally am "negavols" about the OL. That is what will get the D worn down, and we just don't have a lot of options particularly if Blair is a bust and/or redshirt.

As a clarification, I would liken an overthrown down the field pass to a draw in golf. It is considered to be better swing mechanics to inadvertently draw the ball than fade. Obviously a nasty hook or slice is a bad result, but a draw is a better swing. IMO better to overthrow a long ball than under throw.  Either can get you in trouble, but as a rule kid of thing
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:10:46 EDT »

We shall see. If I'm wrong at the end of the season, I'll be happy to eat crow. I don't think I'll be wrong.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:22:24 EDT »

greatly improved his grasp of the offense and his timing on his throws .....how can criticize 71% completion percentage. BUT those bubble screens ain't gonna cut it in the long term! He will have to be able to stretch the D or else the SEC defenses will scrutinize the WRs etc. and find a way to anticipate a bubble screen and it will turn into a pick 6 .....Worley's arm strength is his biggest weakness. I think he would do well with slants etc. with our big, fast WRs....hit 'em in stride (getting rid of the ball quick minimizes the negative impact of the young OL too) and let them help by getting YAC. Without a good run game, and it appears no long ball threat from Worley, he will need to find ways to get the ball to the WRs and RBs on the move in order for us to be able to sustain drives.     
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:38:38 EDT »

At least one of the failed long asses was on the receiver.  Malone did NOT get a good release off the line and was late into the pattern.  Also, Malone and at least one other receiver in my FOV were not open.
Now the second long pass attempt to Malone I don't know because Malone was open but overthrown.  I wasn't watching the receivers on the play (watching O-Line) so I don't know about his release and pattern.

There was one play (2nd quarter I think because they were going South) where Worley made a bad read and went to the wrong receiver, incomplete.  The seam route was wide open, nobody within 10-15 yards (before the throw).  Worley threw to the sidelines, into tight coverage.  Easy to see by me from the upper deck but darn the receiver was open!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: