VTTW Board Index
June 27, 2024, 08:09:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols are 20 point underdogs against OK.........  (Read 5682 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:01:20 EDT »

Quite frankly, if we keep it below 20 I would be pleasantly surprised.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:01 EDT »

Yep.  Have a feeling that Stoops will do everything he can to prove what he has been saying about the SEC being over rated.  He's on a mission and if he gets a chance he will RUTS. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:26 EDT »

Quite frankly, if we keep it below 20 I would be pleasantly surprised.

My thoughts exactly.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:04:38 EDT »

Yep.  Have a feeling that Stoops will do everything he can to prove what he has been saying about the SEC being over rated.  He's on a mission and if he gets a chance he will RUTS. 

My thoughts as well. Stoops gets his chance against a traditionally strong SEC program that just happens to be way down at the moment. He's going to make it as ugly as he can. I'll be pleasantly surprised to cover.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:37:07 EDT »

fizzle that,  I say we win.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:37:37 EDT »

Conventional wisdom says we don't win this game. His brashness and arrogance may be his and hs teams undoing. I really hope this team shocks the world Saturday just to shut him up for good.

GO VOLS!!!   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:53:08 EDT »

We'll need to be at least +1, and probably +2 in turnovers to cover. It's not inconceivable we could be down 20 at the half.

This will be a good test for Butch. If he tries to go fast, as he did against Oregon last year, that's a problem. The only times we should hurry are when we can catch OU prior to being set. Otherwise, milk the play clock. Hurry to the line to prevent substitutions, but slow the game down.

We're not going to exhaust the Sooners.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:26 EDT »

If he wants to RUTS, he probably can.  But he should keep in mind that he has to come to Knoxville next year and face a UT squad that will probably be exponentially better than this one. 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:24:39 EDT »

If he wants to RUTS, he probably can.  But he should keep in mind that he has to come to Knoxville next year and face a UT squad that will probably be exponentially better than this one.  

Don't think that will matter one bit.  If he gets his chance, he will do it just to try and prove his point.  

And an edit:  Yes, we'll be better next year, but Oklahoma will still be favored in that game. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:56 EDT »

Don't think that will matter one bit.  If he gets his chance, he will do it just to try and prove his point.  

And an edit:  Yes, we'll be better next year, but Oklahoma will still be favored in that game. 

They'll be favored, sure.  But I'm calling a UT win in that one right now.  And by the end of the season, I don't think it will be considered an upset.

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 12:03:12 EDT »

fizzle that,  I say we win.

OMG Bandit, whatever it is you're drinking, please pass it around.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:25 EDT »

They'll be favored, sure.  But I'm calling a UT win in that one right now.  And by the end of the season, I don't think it will be considered an upset.

Have to agree to disagree, I guess.  I'm as orange blooded as anybody, but we are still a couple of years away from winning games against competition of that caliber. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 12:46:25 EDT »

Have to agree to disagree, I guess.  I'm as orange blooded as anybody, but we are still a couple of years away from winning games against competition of that caliber.  

Of what caliber?  My statement had as much to do with OU as it did UT.  I think they're overrated.  They got rolled by a mediocre Texas team and destroyed by Baylor last year.  They're getting so much love this season based on beating a bammer team with nothing to play for in a meaningless bowl.  Maybe that was a sour grapes statement by Saban, but it wasn't wrong.  They've got too much for us this year, for sure, but next year will be a different story.  They'll lose 9 senior starters and probably some underclassmen.  Their recruiting class currently ranks #43 on Rivals.  We're going to make up a TON of ground on them in talent and experience over the next year, and we'll get them at home.  That game is going to be our national coming out party.  

We won't be good enough yet to beat the very best teams on our schedule (such as bammer), but I don't think OU will be anywhere near that level.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:48:23 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 12:57:10 EDT »

Of what caliber?  My statement had as much to do with OU as it did UT.  I think they're overrated.  They got rolled by a mediocre Texas team and destroyed by Baylor last year.  They're getting so much love this season based on beating a bammer team with nothing to play for in a meaningless bowl.  Maybe that was a sour grapes statement by Saban, but it wasn't wrong.  They've got too much for us this year, for sure, but next year will be a different story.  They'll lose 9 senior starters and probably some underclassmen.  Their recruiting class currently ranks #43 on Rivals.  We're going to make up a TON of ground on them in talent and experience over the next year, and we'll get them at home.  That game is going to be our national coming out party.  

We won't be good enough yet to beat the very best teams on our schedule (such as bammer), but I don't think OU will be anywhere near that level.

OK, again I'll answer for the sake of discussion.  I hope you are 100% correct, and I am 100% wrong.

Our skill guys are getting there.  That is with the exception of a huge cog in that skill game.  Chances are that we will be playing a true freshman QB next year, and that game is early in the year just as this one is.  No visions of grandeur there. 

Secondly, our OL is still going to be extremely limited.  Hopefully some of the incoming guys will help, but we are still going to be very limited on the OL. 

Oklahoma will put a quality team on the field.  If we are anywhere near where they are this time next year I will be jumping for joy.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 04:41:08 EDT »

Oklahoma will be losing a ton of guys next year. That game will be winnable.

This year's game will take a lot for us to win. We'll need to get 2-3 more turnovers, win the kicking game, the OL has to protect Worley, and we're basically playing a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds to their 21 and 22 year olds. Furthermore their record at home is pretty impressive.

I do think Butch is a better coach and hungrier - we did beat a top 5 team last year with a much worse team, so it can happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: