VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:45:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch Jones is pissed  (Read 17880 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:06:14 EDT »

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Butch-Jones-opens-up-about-Tennessee-Vols-offensive-struggles-31813106

I know this is a day old, but I still thought it was interesting.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:43:25 EDT »

I can't decide whether I'm glad he's pissed or if I take it as "hey, coaching isn't the problem.. it's the knuckleheads that either can't or won't do what we tell them to do".  I think his heart is in it and that he's genuinely upset over what happened on Saturday, just like we are.  But I also remember Dooley basically saying "hey, we're not very good" and that rubs me the wrong way even though I know he didn't mean it the way Dooley meant it.  But still, I'm tired of hearing about how we just don't have good enough players and how the talent's just not there.  I KNOW our OL isn't that good.  And I know we don't have the talent across the board like the other heavyweights in the SEC.  STILL, we were 4-5 swing plays from taking Oklahoma to the final whistle in their house in a primetime game.  We were 1-2 plays from beating UGA in their house.  WE WERE good enough to have beaten Florida, bottom line.

Here's my question.  Why did we move the ball so well the 1st four games?  On Saturday it was like all the years past when UF was our first big game and we were freaked out from the first kickoff, coaches and players alike.  Like we didn't know what we wanted or what we were trying to accomplish.  We looked like a team still wet behind the ears who was thrown into a big game much to early in the season, with no apparent plan to move the ball.  What had the previous 5 weeks been about?  Did they not watch UF tape? No, we had just gone on the road and moved the ball against Oklahoma (a much better team and, I think, a better defense than UF) and against UGA.  We lost, but our offense had some pretty good moments.  Explain to me, Butch, how we go from respectable success against those defenses to not being able to do a SINGLE DANG THING against UF, a team in disarray whose confidence was shot.  I'm not one who sits there during a game and analyzes what our opponent's defense is doing and what sort of coverage is going on as it relates to what we're trying to do to counter their strategy, but we played and coached scared on Saturday.  We didn't "go for it" at all, instead it was a miserable four quarters of conservative field position football that I still can't believe Butch authorized in the biggest "statement" game to date for him at UT.  It was excruciating to watch.  Butch didn't "go for it".  He and his staff played it safe and they blew it.

It sure looked like we had no freaking plan on how to move the ball against them except for the fact that we were going to line up a pair of receivers, throw a few quickscreens then fake the screen pass and throw it deep.  To me, that's pretty much the only thing Bajakian cooked up in his brain.  The rest appeared to be just throwing plays against the wall and hoping something stuck.  I'm certainly not an offensive genius and no, Butch, I don't know the difference in zone read and gap scheme.. and I don't care!  But I can tell you that what ever you were doing wasn't working and it didn't work for four whole quarters and multiple times field position was gift wrapped for you.  So yes, I hope Butch is pissed because one touchdown might've been the turning point for this program.

I've also learned something else these past few days.  Bajakian isn't going anywhere, not while Butch is the coach.  Again, not saying I think anyone should be fired already.  But I think Butch is going to be married to these assistants until he's out the door with them.

I'm still in show me mode, though.  Waiting for Butch and company to actually outcoach someone on gameday.  Defense has me believing, but offense... not so much.

Edit-Please note none of this is directed at you, Creek.  I'm just letting it all out.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:58:29 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:04 EDT »

I can't decide whether I'm glad he's pissed or if I take it as "hey, coaching isn't the problem.. it's the knuckleheads that either can't or won't do what we tell them to do".  I think his heart is in it and that he's genuinely upset over what happened on Saturday, just like we are.  But I also remember Dooley basically saying "hey, we're not very good" and that rubs me the wrong way even though I know he didn't mean it the way Dooley meant it.

Here's my question.  Why did we move the ball so well the 1st four games?  On Saturday it was like all the years past when UF was our first big game and we were freaked out from the first kickoff, coaches and players alike.  Like we didn't know what we wanted or what we were trying to accomplish.  No, we had just gone on the road and moved the ball against Oklahoma (a much better team and, I think, a better defense than UF) and against UGA.  We lost, but our offense had some pretty good moments.  Explain to me, Butch, how we go from respectable success against those defenses to not being able to do a SINGLE DANG THING against UF, a team in disarray whose confidence was shot.  I'm not one who sits there during a game and analyzes what our opponent's defense is doing and what sort of coverage is going on as it relates to what we're trying to do to counter their strategy, but we played and coached scared on Saturday.  We didn't "go for it" at all, instead it was a miserable four quarters of conservative field position football that I still can't believe Butch authorized in the biggest "statement" game to date for him at UT.  It was excruciating to watch.  Butch didn't "go for it".  He and his staff played it safe and they blew it.

I've also learned something else these past few days.  Bajakian isn't going anywhere, not while Butch is the coach.  Again, not saying I think anyone should be fired already.  But I think Butch is going to be married to these assistants until he's out the door with them.

I'm still in show me mode, though.  Waiting for Butch and company to actually outcoach someone on gameday.  Defense has me believing, but offense... not so much.

^Plus one!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:58:59 EDT »

I was pretty frustrated with Chavis in 1997, when we rushed 3 on 3rd and 10 three times and once on 4th and 10 and ALL FOUR OF THOSE were TDs!

He turned it around...maybe Bajakian can.

Florida had a great defense in 2012 and a pretty good one last year in spite of the losing record...they are likely the third best D we face this year after Ole Miss and bammer.

Hurd was also beat up.

I can handle one bad game even if it is Florida but I expect us to do better the rest of the season.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:10:34 EDT »

You have voiced my feelings quite well! First time I've seen your teapot boil over and I get it.

G     
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:07:42 EDT »

I'm tired of hearing about how we just don't have good enough players and how the talent's just not there.  I KNOW our OL isn't that good.  And I know we don't have the talent across the board like the other heavyweights in the SEC.  STILL, we were 4-5 swing plays from taking Oklahoma to the final whistle in their house in a primetime game.  We were 1-2 plays from beating UGA in their house.  WE WERE good enough to have beaten Florida, bottom line.

It seems everyone has suddenly forgotten just how bare the cupboard was when Dooley left, even though it was screamed from the mountaintops as late as last season.  I recall many (most?) here saying the talent level at Tennessee was the worst in the history of the program when Jones was hired.  Now, somehow the Vols are supposed to be winning with same lack of talent plus one full year of Jones' recruits.  I still say the current disappointment is largely the result of raised expectations brought about by the clear improvement in play despite the same lack of talent.  I didn't see the Oklahoma or Georgia games, but clearly many fans agree the Vols "were 4-5 swing plays from taking Oklahoma to the final whistle in their house in a primetime game" and "1-2 plays from beating UGA in their house."  Were they "good enough to have beaten Florida"?  After watching the game, I think so.  But that's not because of having better talent or even equal talent.  I think it is only because this coaching staff has made the team better than the players' collective talent level.  And, that has raised expectations (of the coaches, players, and fans).  Double edged sword.  I'll stick with my pre-season expectation of 5-7, with 6-6 or better being a pleasant surprise, and 4-8 or worse being a disappointment.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:10:12 EDT by TheRealOrange » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:32 EDT »

It seems everyone has suddenly forgotten just how bare the cupboard was when Dooley left, even though it was screamed from the mountaintops as late as last season.  I recall many (most?) here saying the talent level at Tennessee was the worst in the history of the program when Jones was hired.  Now, somehow the Vols are supposed to be winning with same lack of talent plus one full year of Jones' recruits.  I still say the current disappointment is largely the result of raised expectations brought about by the clear improvement in play despite the same lack of talent.  I didn't see the Oklahoma or Georgia games, but clearly many fans agree the Vols "were 4-5 swing plays from taking Oklahoma to the final whistle in their house in a primetime game" and "1-2 plays from beating UGA in their house."  Were they "good enough to have beaten Florida"?  After watching the game, I think so.  But that's not because of having better talent or even equal talent.  I think it is only because this coaching staff has made the team better than the players' collective talent level.  And, that has raised expectations (of the coaches, players, and fans).  Double edged sword.  I'll stick with my pre-season expectation of 5-7, with 6-6 or better being a pleasant surprise, and 4-8 or worse being a disappointment.

If we were talking about a loss to Bama or Auburn, I would agree with you.  BUT - we are talking about a Florida team that was 2-8 in its last 10 games coming in, and a team that we were favored to beat.   Florida tried every way they could to give it to us, but we couldn't make the necessary adjustments to take it.

That's what worries me. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 05:57:33 EDT »

If we were talking about a loss to Bama or Auburn, I would agree with you.  BUT - we are talking about a Florida team that was 2-8 in its last 10 games coming in, and a team that we were favored to beat.   Florida tried every way they could to give it to us, but we couldn't make the necessary adjustments to take it.

That's what worries me. 

I agree.  I didn't expect the Vols to win beforehand, but after seeing the game, clearly they could/should have won.  They made far too many mistakes, and I put a lot of that on the coaches (especially the stupid penalties after being very disciplined previously).  Despite that, I see marked improvement from Dooley's teams, and I expect continued improvement for the next 2-3 years.  I'm as disappointed as anyone; I'm just hardly in panic mode after one bad game.  Unfortunately, I expect some bad games from this team due to the nature of the roster. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 06:54:21 EDT »

I see Saturday's game as a red flag -- nothing more, nothing less. It's not a warm and fuzzy feeling that we couldn't beat a weak Florida team when all the stars seemed to be aligned for us, but I don't think one game is enough to cast judgment on this staff's abilities (or lack thereof). It might very well be the start of a pattern, but it isn't a pattern yet.

With that said, that article sorta pissed me off. I say that with a bit of reservation because I didn't watch the presser and haven't read a transcript, and we all know how Rucker is (melodramatic, self-righteous, etc.). But it's a little soon for Butch to be acting butthurt over the pressure he's feeling from the media and fans. Talking down your nose to fans isn't the best way to endear yourselves to them, and there are a dozen unemployed coaches who can tell you what happens when you start sniping at the media and don't win games to back yourself up.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:52 EDT »

I see Saturday's game as a red flag -- nothing more, nothing less. It's not a warm and fuzzy feeling that we couldn't beat a weak Florida team when all the stars seemed to be aligned for us, but I don't think one game is enough to cast judgment on this staff's abilities (or lack thereof). It might very well be the start of a pattern, but it isn't a pattern yet.

With that said, that article sorta pissed me off. I say that with a bit of reservation because I didn't watch the presser and haven't read a transcript, and we all know how Rucker is (melodramatic, self-righteous, etc.). But it's a little soon for Butch to be acting butthurt over the pressure he's feeling from the media and fans. Talking down your nose to fans isn't the best way to endear yourselves to them, and there are a dozen unemployed coaches who can tell you what happens when you start sniping at the media and don't win games to back yourself up.
When asked stupid questions from morons like Hyams, but I repeat myself, it does tend to wear on you ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:00:15 EDT »

With that said, that article sorta pissed me off.

Then do like I did; don't read the article.   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 08:14:30 EDT »

Then do like I did; don't read the article.   

Creek- while you're at it go ahead and un-read the article for me as well.   
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:02:00 EDT »

Creek- while you're at it go ahead and un-read the article for me as well.   

"Like"!   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:41:12 EDT »

I agree.  I didn't expect the Vols to win beforehand, but after seeing the game, clearly they could/should have won.  They made far too many mistakes, and I put a lot of that on the coaches (especially the stupid penalties after being very disciplined previously).  Despite that, I see marked improvement from Dooley's teams, and I expect continued improvement for the next 2-3 years.  I'm as disappointed as anyone; I'm just hardly in panic mode after one bad game.  Unfortunately, I expect some bad games from this team due to the nature of the roster. 

My view and yours are very similar.  One reason that may be is that you and I were around for the buildup to the 90s and realize it didn't happen overnight.  I think you started following the Vols a bit earlier than I, but I have followed them since 1982, when we managed to sneak into a bowl for the first time in a few years.   It took nearly a decade before we were able to win consistently, even though 1981 was the fifth year for Majors.  Of course, he wouldn't get that kind of time now, but I recall clearly that he was on the hot seat when we finally beat bammer in 1985.

These down periods can be tough to recover from, which is why they should be avoided if at all possible. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:05 EDT »

My view and yours are very similar.  One reason that may be is that you and I were around for the buildup to the 90s and realize it didn't happen overnight.  I think you started following the Vols a bit earlier than I, but I have followed them since 1982, when we managed to sneak into a bowl for the first time in a few years.   It took nearly a decade before we were able to win consistently, even though 1981 was the fifth year for Majors.  Of course, he wouldn't get that kind of time now, but I recall clearly that he was on the hot seat when we finally beat bammer in 1985.

These down periods can be tough to recover from, which is why they should be avoided if at all possible. 

Don't think how long anybody has "been around" has a thing to do with whether or not a game was managed well. 

I've went to my first UT game when Dewey Warren was the QB and I have been following them ever since.  Seen the ups and downs and the ups and downs ...........

What I think a lot of folks are forgetting is that this was a bad Florida team - 2-8 in its last 10 before Saturday.  The ups and downs of previous years has nothing to do with why some of us are concerned. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:21 EDT »

Don't think how long anybody has "been around" has a thing to do with whether or not a game was managed well. 

I've went to my first UT game when Dewey Warren was the QB and I have been following them ever since.  Seen the ups and downs and the ups and downs ...........

What I think a lot of folks are forgetting is that this was a bad Florida team - 2-8 in its last 10 before Saturday.  The ups and downs of previous years has nothing to do with why some of us are concerned. 

Charley Fulton better Vol QB than Dewey Warren? Nope, Swamp Rat by more than the length of his tail.

BG
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 10:19:10 EDT »

Not just a bad team, but a poorly coached team.

There were times when UF defenders were running on and off the field, then some would stop and backpedal, then continue off the field.  Mass confusion after a bye week to prepare.  I chuckled and said "they've no clue what they're doing, this is great!"  Yet, we couldn't capitalize.  
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 10:21:37 EDT »

Good post....I've been around since Bowden Wyatt and my first game in Knoxville in 1958. I've seen it all. And what I saw against Florida was bad....really bad. It was a chance to break a curse of a decade and even more. We choked....we imploded. We are UT of the past several years. We find ways to lose.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:38 EDT »

Did not think you were THAT old ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 10:43:59 EDT »

My view and yours are very similar.  One reason that may be is that you and I were around for the buildup to the 90s and realize it didn't happen overnight.  I think you started following the Vols a bit earlier than I, but I have followed them since 1982, when we managed to sneak into a bowl for the first time in a few years.   It took nearly a decade before we were able to win consistently, even though 1981 was the fifth year for Majors.  Of course, he wouldn't get that kind of time now, but I recall clearly that he was on the hot seat when we finally beat bammer in 1985.

My old alter-ego on the boards in the nineties-- the old gruff, very southern baritone voice of Head SEC Referee Jimmy Harper---would have flagged you on the board for that slip. You said the Vols didn't beat Bama until 1985: they beat Bama in 82, 83, 84 and 85 before Bama went on a long streak themselves. That flag would have been 15 yards on the Orange team according to Jimmy for "no dang recall"

BG
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:41:16 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:39 EDT »

BTW Bandit, Jimmy Harper also would've penalized the Crimson team on the board. Harper showed no favoritism! In fact somone linked a Paul Finebaum regular Tide caller a day or so ago. Knowing Jimmy Harper like the back of my hand, I assure you he would have flagged that Tide caller for a major step-off of 15 yards on the Crimson team, "Phyliss from Mulga for 'excessive hideousness' and 'not the sense God gave a DANG monkey'! Make that 20 yards!!!"

BG
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:50:52 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 11:29:17 EDT »

Not just a bad team, but a poorly coached team.

There were times when UF defenders were running on and off the field, then some would stop and backpedal, then continue off the field.  Mass confusion after a bye week to prepare.  I chuckled and said "they've no clue what they're doing, this is great!"  Yet, we couldn't capitalize.  

When we got the false start penalty with Florida's defense all out of sorts in the first quarter, I cussed. Loudly.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:37:11 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 11:36:00 EDT »

When we got the first half penalty with Florida's defense all out of sorts in the first quarter, I cussed. Loudly.

A few hours after that game, I saw that other game on the tube and I spewed a few, too!

BG

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 01:02:05 EDT »

I been following the Vols since Condrege played. First game I attended was against Ole Miss, when Norris Weece was their QB. For some reason I can't remember  who the Vols Qb was. Might have been Randy Wallace. Geesh I'm old.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 02:06:00 EDT »

When we got the false start penalty with Florida's defense all out of sorts in the first quarter, I cussed. Loudly.

Lol, I'd somehow forgotten about that false start.  Thanks.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: