VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 08:05:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The asshat in Gainesville is at it again  (Read 5322 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:30:19 EDT »

Thomas Goldkamp @Goldkamp247

Muschamp on postgame UT comments: "It's much better being the coach of Florida than Tennessee, I can assure you of that."

Wonder who is employed longer: Muschamp at Florida or Butch Jones at Tennessee?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 04:01:56 EDT »

Wonder who is employed longer: Muschamp at Florida or Butch Jones at Tennessee?

What in the world prompted that from him?  If it's still the chant he's still sore about, then he's a bigger baby than I thought.  It was classless, yes... But move on.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 04:45:15 EDT »

What in the world prompted that from him?  If it's still the chant he's still sore about, then he's a bigger baby than I thought.  It was classless, yes... But move on.

Classless but hardly unusual in this day and age.  And given his propensity to drop the f bomb himself, you would think he respected it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:29 EDT »

Spoken like a guy who knows he'll never have to face Tennessee again.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:10 EDT »

Spoken like a guy who knows he'll never have to face Tennessee again.

This. 
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50:50 EDT »

I just wish him embarrassment on his way out the door in Gainesville.  The chant was uncalled for but so are the comments.  Wonder if he is 2nd guessing that coach in waiting gig back in Austin.  When his time finally comes, I hope the game before is just a total embarrassment.  I guess that would be Florida State.  Could easily happen.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 03:56:07 EDT »

The reaction to the student chants is hilarious to me. It's as if we've forgotten that they are 18-25 year old college students. Sure, there are lots of things we could advise them not to do; things that they will recognize as immature later . . . but these are the same sorts of things we did at that age. Yeah, there are kids and grannies in the crowd, but the students either don't think about it or don't care, and we didn't either.

Oh, and fizzle Muschamp . . . he is not long for this world of head coaching.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:00:01 EDT »

Once a prick, always a prick, and Mushmouth is a prick. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:23:14 EDT »

The reaction to the student chants is hilarious to me. It's as if we've forgotten that they are 18-25 year old college students. Sure, there are lots of things we could advise them not to do; things that they will recognize as immature later . . . but these are the same sorts of things we did at that age. Yeah, there are kids and grannies in the crowd, but the students either don't think about it or don't care, and we didn't either.

Oh, and fizzle Muschamp . . . he is not long for this world of head coaching.

No excuse, IMO. Of course what you're saying is grounded in truth. That's why I said the other day that someone has to be an adult in the situation and that adult should be Muschamp. OTOH, I cringe every time I hear someone say "Kids will be kids." That may be true, but you don't see many other schools chanting "F-U" to their opponents in the unfortunate situation where the band's microphones just happen to be turned on and that chant is clearly piped into millions of living rooms across the nation. It was an embarrassing moment for the university. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but certainly not something that should be shrugged away and swept under the rug, as some of the adults in the UT fan base seem to prefer (not you, just speaking generally).
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:30:04 EDT »

No excuse, IMO. Of course what you're saying is grounded in truth. That's why I said the other day that someone has to be an adult in the situation and that adult should be Muschamp. OTOH, I cringe every time I hear someone say "Kids will be kids." That may be true, but you don't see many other schools chanting "F-U" to their opponents in the unfortunate situation where the band's microphones just happen to be turned on and that chant is clearly piped into millions of living rooms across the nation. It was an embarrassing moment for the university. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but certainly not something that should be shrugged away and swept under the rug, as some of the adults in the UT fan base seem to prefer (not you, just speaking generally).

It's not an excuse-- just stating the facts of the matter. I don't think it was embarrassing for the university, and similar (and worse) can and has been heard in stadiums across the country. I understand why people cringe and why people disapprove, but to be surprised or to think this was somehow unique would be quite naive. These are not just kids but frustrated kids who had NO IDEA what it's like to get a win over Florida. Their actions may not be justifiable or fall under the heading of "classy," but they are 100% understandable and predictable.

This is just another one of those things where we think (or expect) our kids to be different or better, and they aren't. Then the opposing idea-- that others think (or expect) their kids are not like this and are too good for this-- is expressed and is equally mistaken. I didn't read the VS during or after the game but I'm sure that notion has been expressed. Sports fandom is one big damn glass house and we all have young fans that do and say stupid and classless things. When I heard it I thought "yikes" and then dismissed it, which is really all you can do IMO.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 05:52:55 EDT »

OK, here's my take:

I don't think it is in good taste for the students to chant stuff like that, but as has been pointed out on this forum before, I am an old fart, so what does my opinion count, right? 

But here is a question I haven't seen or heard asked:

If the UT administration is going to "request" that the students in the stands not use that kind of language, are they going to ask the same of the coaches and players on the field?  Ever been on the sidelines of a college or NFL football game?  What we heard from the UT student section is G rated compared to what you hear on the field, sidelines, and from coaches booths in press boxes. 

Just asking for discussion purposes.  I know what the real answer is. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 06:01:26 EDT »

I just wish they could have done it after finally beating FL's a$$e$....

Doesn't have the same effect after losing to them...............................Again!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 06:03:13 EDT »

Doesn't have the same effect after losing to them...............................Again!

This.  Makes those grapes seem extremely sour. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 01:29:16 EDT »

I may have missed it, but has anyone discussed why the students did it?  My daughter was there next to the band, and said that the UF players got in the middle of the of the UT cheerleaders.  The cheerleaders were then reading them the riot act, and the students piled on.

I admit I was embarrassed too, but thats why I asked her about the rest of the story.  There is almost always a reason.  Don't condone it, but there it is.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 02:15:47 EDT »

To be very honest, my ONLY problem with it was the timing, which made it seem like sour grapes.  If the shoe were on the other foot, and WE were lining up in victory formation, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.  In fact, I may have joined in.  Because I've twice sat in the student section in Gainesville, and heard far, FAR worse. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: