VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 11:44:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'll just put this here  (Read 4803 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:57:08 EDT »

from the VQ WR. Do with it as you like, but I think it informs the conversation that's being had on all UT boards since Saturday.

It would be naive to think there aren't more significant struggles coming on the field this season. Tennessee is starting or has started six true freshman on the offensive side of the ball, and as some on campus told us based on research, that all told the 13 other SEC teams are starting only about 7-9 freshmen on offense. Add in that the Vols have started at least three more true freshmen on defense, as well as special teams, and again you see a Tennessee program playing more rookie starters than almost the entire rest of the league combined.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:08:41 EDT »

Exactly.

Which is why we may not see an improvement in the record this year. As I and others have said, we'll be an improved team but not have the record to show it.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:10:05 EDT »

Sobering, for sure.

I think I took the UF loss so hard because in the weeks prior, we looked better than I thought we'd be and UF looked putrid.  I went all in.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:38:05 EDT »

Sobering, for sure.

I think I took the UF loss so hard because in the weeks prior, we looked better than I thought we'd be and UF looked putrid.  I went all in.

I did precisely the same and I think many, many people did. I'm coming back to where I was-- knowing this year was going to be frustrating but seeing the pieces come together for the future. Let's not give up on these guys-- players or coaches.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 03:52:43 EDT »

I did precisely the same and I think many, many people did. I'm coming back to where I was-- knowing this year was going to be frustrating but seeing the pieces come together for the future. Let's not give up on these guys-- players or coaches.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:13:08 EDT »

deep emotional disappointment we have experienced by doing such a great coaching job....at the beginning of the year most were realistic hoping for a better record but not expecting it, then we see the team go to Norman and play hard and then nearly beat Ga in Athens and we expect to beat Fla with the struggles they've experienced. So, by the great job he and his staff have done coaching up a bunch of young, inexperienced players we all moved our expectations up accordingly while failing to realize that struggles were guaranteed with such a young group. I know Butch is, and will continue, to turn things around....I have issues with calling long developing pass routes when protection is a MAJOR issue and being less predictable on 1st downs, but I'm confident he's the right guy at this time. I still believe we'll get an upset, maybe two along the way and it's equally plausible that we'll lose to Ky. I know we're all exasperated from having to endure the football we experienced under Dooley, but Butch is turning a battleship not a ski boat.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 07:37:36 EDT »

Yes, we are young. 

That doesn't take away the fact that Florida was 2-8 in its last 10 and they beat us with a true freshman QB leading their comeback, and a true freshman running back. 

In our house. 

As underdogs. 

Go ahead and claim I am beating a dead horse if you will, but that just seems to be being glossed over. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 07:59:49 EDT »

Yes, we are young. 

That doesn't take away the fact that Florida was 2-8 in its last 10 and they beat us with a true freshman QB leading their comeback, and a true freshman running back. 

In our house. 

As underdogs. 

Go ahead and claim I am beating a dead horse if you will, but that just seems to be being glossed over. 

Nobody is glossing over this. Goodness. I wanted to beat UF in the worst way and avoided message boards for days after. There's a reason I'm here on Friday instead 4 or 5 days ago. This loss HURT. You'll have to forgive those of us who want to move on and acknowledge the realities facing us while still maintaining shreds of hope. Is that okay for a fan to do, IYO?

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:23 EDT »

I don't think anyone is disputing that we should have beaten Florida.  Instead of looking at that as a huge negative, I see it as almost a miracle.  Despite our incredible youth vs Florida's experience (outside of a couple that in reality contributed little), we should have beaten Florida.  Despite the talent level that lack of depth creates, we should have beaten Florida.  Despite the fact that, based on talent, Florida was predicted to battle for, if not win, the East by many who claim to know football, we should have beaten Floride.  We had no business beating Florida other than the Muschamp factor, but we should have beaten Florida.  I was as gut-wrenched as anybody that we didn't, the side effects of "almost" are far worse than the side effects of "no chance", but the fact is, we should have beaten Florida.  We ARE on our way back, not everybody has to believe it, but I do, and I don't even remember the last time I could believe it with honest confidence.

Yes, we are young. 

In our house. 

As underdogs. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 11:05:30 EDT »

I think we still should have beat UF. If the freshmen are that talented, it shouldn't matter. The last two Heisman winners were freshman. The talent should overcome their youth.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 01:15:17 EDT »

If we were down 3 TDs and made a gallant effort that just came up short I could have lived with it....Being up 9 at home with about 11 minutes to go in the game and Florida hadn't sniffed a score all game and the only way we could lose was to implode and we did just that. Yeah, I'm going to be pi$$ed about it.

We choked...plain and simple. I'll not make excuses for it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:31 EDT »

We ARE on our way back, not everybody has to believe it, but I do, and I don't even remember the last time I could believe it with honest confidence.

As I post below, it's the first time I honestly expected to win since 2006.  Hell, the only other time I thought we had a shot was 07, 08 and 2012, but I still thought we were and should be the underdogs.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 10:06:02 EDT »

Yes, we are young. 

You always stress the youth of replacement QBs.  You did that after the 2007 SECCG also, when the LSU starter (Rohan Davey??? can't recall) went out.

Well I believed in 2007 that the backup was actually better than the starter.  That happens sometimes.  In this case, without question, Driskell is one of the worst QBs I have seen in my life and I am not exagerating.  ANYONE is better than that guy!  Holy shizzle Herb, what game were you watching?  My phone was blowing up the whole game with my best friend from college texting "we better hope Driskell does not get hurt!"

You can make a case for a QB going out hurting a team, but not in this case.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: