VTTW Board Index
June 10, 2024, 09:58:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If it is illegal for a defensive tackler to lead with his head........  (Read 3275 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2014, 04:00:07 EST »

.....and make contact with the head of the offensive player, why is it legal for an offensive player to lower and lead with his head and make contact with the head of the defensive player?

You see it over and over, the offensive player (RB, QB, Receiver) lowers his head and meets the defensive player head on. I've even seen defensive players get penalties on such a play even though he we was going low to make the tackle.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:17:39 EST »

Because the offensive player is not targeting and the defensive player is not a defenseless player. I think..LOL

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:16:26 EST »

JMO, but if the offensive player lowers his head at all, then no targeting or leading with the head penalty should be allowed.  And I agree that if the offensive player can use his head as a weapon, then they should be penalized for targetting. They are teaching defense to keep your head up, why are they not teaching offense to keep their head up.

Also, once a QB starts to run and passes the line of scrimmage, they should be fair game unless they slide.  And I do not mean fall down. I mean slide.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:34:40 EST »

Because the offensive player is not targeting and the defensive player is not a defenseless player. I think..LOL

That's a reasonable explanation but I've seen targeting called when a defensive player goes head to head with an offensive player as a result of the offensive player lower his head.

I agree with 73Volgrad. The offensive player should not be allowed to lower his head and use it as a weapon.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:26:29 EST »

While at times you do see an offensive player lower his head and use his helmet deliberately to strike the defender at times in the head, other times the head is lowered with no such intent and the contact still happens. Anyone who has strapped on a helmet knows how quickly things happen on a playing field, and understands such contact due to the speed of the game, and actions and uninticipated movements of the opposing player, often causes unintentional contact with the head. If a player is truly targeting another can be subjective.

That being said, I think the rule was intiated as a response to mostly protect "exposed" players, and correctly or not, they are usually thought of as offensive players being most vulnerable, such as wide-receivers going across the middle of the field watching the ball and not the opposing players while a defender gets ready to level him.

If it's demonstrated enough that offensive players are guilty of this, then we'll see the rule changed since they're trying to reduce concussions, and the NCAA is concerned with future litigation. You don't see it as often from an offensive player, and whether right or wrong, that's why I would guess we haven't seen the rule include that side of the ball. I would think the NCAA would be monitoring this and watching closely as concussions are such a current and important issue.

BG
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:30:36 EST by BGHarper » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:03:29 EST »

OMG Droner and I agree. I need a beer.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:27:34 EST »

OMG Droner and I agree. I need a beer.

See what you did there? Now we don't agree. I prefer wine. 
73Volgrad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 01:04:48 EST »

Whew.  All is right with the world. Wine gives me a headache a majority of the time so I quit. I try to limit myself to Porters and Stouts with occasional Bock beers with bread.

The one thing we do agree on are the scum-sucking, foul-smelling, low-down Clempson Tygers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: