VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 07:37:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uniforms  (Read 4793 times)
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:13:42 EST »

Rocky Top Insider has an amazing visual on 50 Alternate uniform combinations. Check them out.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:32:24 EST »

Some really cool stuff. Many of the helmets are kind of neat. I just cringe at Nike. I don't want us to be Oregon south as far as uniforms go.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:40:21 EST »

Some really cool stuff. Many of the helmets are kind of neat. I just cringe at Nike. I don't want us to be Oregon south as far as uniforms go.

I will sacrifice tradition to the promotion gods if it helps us get back to the top.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:29:10 EST »

My observations: Half of those I like. Which means that half of them I don't.

I don't like the Volunteer or the state of Tennessee logo on the helmets. Stick with the  .

I don't like the brickwork on the helmets. But the rest of them I could live with.

I'm laughing at the home uniform with the orange numbers on the orange jersey. The TV folks would love that. I can remember when the announcers used to complain about the white numbers on the pale orange jerseys. There was even talk back then (1970's) about outlining the numbers in black. Instead we just made the orange jerseys more orangey.

We all know, I hate change. But I'm moving towards Clock's view. If it helps get the players and gets us back to the top, I'm semi-flexible on the subject. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:36:25 EST »

Some of those are okay. Some of them suck.

Someone let me know when Alabama ditches their traditional uniforms in order to land top recruiting classes. Until then, uniform concepts that are drastically non-traditional can go whiz up a rope!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 05:54:35 EST »

I understand that things change and that today's prospects - for better or for worse - like a different look.

That said, I'm ok with some minor adjustments for the home uniforms, but I would like to see tradition respected, as well.  The home unis need to be treated as a "sacred cow" because they are. 

Doing different things with the road unis - I'm completely fine with.  The road unis have been tinkered with during my entire lifetime, and with good reason.  The orange numerals and lettering on plain white jerseys has been really difficult to see, both on TV and live in the stadium, for as long as I have been watching UT football, and y'all know that I am old. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:08:59 EST »

y'all know that I am old. 
How old are you?!?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:33:17 EST »

How old are you?!?

Not as old as you and MidTn.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 08:10:25 EST »

I hate (just absolutely hate) the white tops with orange shoulders. Always have. Always will. As long as they do not try the pajama colored unis like Oregon wears, I can get used to them. Leave the T on the helmets. Change is good as long as it is not radical. I actually liked the grey and black, but they need to hold them only for special games.

By the way first game attended was in early 1960s and I started UT in 1969. So I have seen the wide variety of colors and styles. Either use a high contrast numeral or do not bother. Did I mention I HATE those orange shouldered jerseys?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 08:21:34 EST »

I hate (just absolutely hate) the white tops with orange shoulders. Always have. Always will. As long as they do not try the pajama colored unis like Oregon wears, I can get used to them. Leave the T on the helmets. Change is good as long as it is not radical. I actually liked the grey and black, but they need to hold them only for special games.

By the way first game attended was in early 1960s and I started UT in 1969. So I have seen the wide variety of colors and styles. Either use a high contrast numeral or do not bother. Did I mention I HATE those orange shouldered jerseys?

^This.....I just can't describe how bad I hated those. Not on here anyway. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 08:32:29 EST »

Did I mention I HATE those orange shouldered jerseys?

Yeah, never been a fan of those myself.  The first time I ever remember wearing those was when I was a kid and we played Texas in the Cotton Bowl and got our asses kicked.  I know we've worn them a few times since, and I haven't liked them any better those times, either. 

I feel the same way about the smoky grays.  We've never won in them.  Somebody needs to take that as an omen and retire them for good. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 10:11:24 EST »

Yeah, never been a fan of those myself.  The first time I ever remember wearing those was when I was a kid and we played Texas in the Cotton Bowl and got our asses kicked.  I know we've worn them a few times since, and I haven't liked them any better those times, either. 

I feel the same way about the smoky grays.  We've never won in them.  Somebody needs to take that as an omen and retire them for good. 

I'm mostly a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, but I didn't mind the grays.  I always say, just leave the helmets alone.  The helmets are sacred, to me.  Whatever alternate uniforms they come up with, make them tasteful and make them work with the helmets as they already are.

That being said, I'll never understand using our W/L as an argument for or against certain color combinations.  What we wore when we lost to UGA wasn't the reason we lost to UGA.  By that same token we should never checkerboard the stands ever again because we lost to Florida.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 10:15:13 EST »

I'm mostly a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, but I didn't mind the grays.  I always say, just leave the helmets alone.  The helmets are sacred, to me.  Whatever alternate uniforms they come up with, make them tasteful and make them work with the helmets as they already are.

That being said, I'll never understand using our W/L as an argument for or against certain color combinations.  What we wore when we lost to UGA wasn't the reason we lost to UGA.  By that same token we should never checkerboard the stands ever again because we lost to Florida.   

Well, I am a former baseball player and still a huge baseball guy.  Mojos and routines are a huge part of baseball, and just about every football coach I know is just as superstitious as baseball coaches and players are.  Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  The home unis have NEVER been broke. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: