VTTW Board Index
May 23, 2024, 05:12:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch apparently has allowed Wiesman the weekend off  (Read 6366 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:58:28 EDT »

as he has apparently been considering transfer.

It looks like some of the freshmen have surged ahead of him in the depth chart - maybe a good idea for him to consider other options.

We still have 13 OL even with the loss of Jackson, Sanders, and maybe Wiesman

Boulware, Richmond, Thomas, Crowder, Kendrick, Raulerson, Jones, Blair, Robertson, Hall, Kerbyson, Mosley, Edwards
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:43:41 EDT »

I'd rather he stay. Blair, Raulerson and Edwards aren't any count are they? Edwards is a walk-on. I perused the roster today and we have more than that counting new walkons. 5+3 is likely all we need. Still very tenuous on the OL it seems.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:58 EDT »

I'd rather he stay. Blair, Raulerson and Edwards aren't any count are they? Edwards is a walk-on. I perused the roster today and we have more than that counting new walkons. 5+3 is likely all we need. Still very tenuous on the OL it seems.

sigh, they have something we need - I want to be a VOL

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:52:09 EDT »

sigh, they have something we need - I want to be a VOL

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:48:04 EDT »

Stay and do what? he is a junior and being beaten out by freshmen in the top 8-10. It would be a win-win for him to move on for himself and UT

SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:04 EDT »

According to FL98 post he will stick around. To answer your question, every football team needs bodies if an uncanny number of injuries occur. He can play. I'm not the one that listed Thomas Edwards as a viable option ;)

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 09:13:36 EDT »

But nut, as you say "apparently" some of the freshman have surged ahead of him.  We hear things, but do we really know anything at this point?  I kind of say the same about Blair.

I would rather not run off an OL until after the OU or even UF game.  You never know, Wiesman could go in during one of our early games and start pancaking people.  Or Blair, or anyone else currently down on the chart.  Practice only tells the coaches so much.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:58 EDT »

But nut, as you say "apparently" some of the freshman have surged ahead of him.  We hear things, but do we really know anything at this point?  I kind of say the same about Blair.

I would rather not run off an OL until after the OU or even UF game.  You never know, Wiesman could go in during one of our early games and start pancaking people.  Or Blair, or anyone else currently down on the chart.  Practice only tells the coaches so much.
You ASSUMED a fact not in evidence
as in Wiesman was being "run off" when it would appear from various sources that he noted what 'nut said, he was being passed by FR (For but one example, Jack Jones getting the majority of 1st team reps at OG during open practice periods and wanted to explore his options.  He did decide to stay.

I would note that Blair was on the Scout team the other day.  Was that a normal thing or motivation?  Who knows at this point?  I would note that to this point IMO Blair has been a bust.  I hope the light "comes on" at some point but to date ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:13:18 EDT »

Blair is never going to play a meaningful snap at UT.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:11:47 EDT »

No it's a fact they have surged ahead. Butch is repping the guys, and not repping guys who won't play at this point.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 05:09:26 EDT »

You ASSUMED a fact not in evidence
as in Wiesman was being "run off" when it would appear from various sources that he noted what 'nut said, he was being passed by FR (For but one example, Jack Jones getting the majority of 1st team reps at OG during open practice periods and wanted to explore his options.  He did decide to stay.

I would note that Blair was on the Scout team the other day.  Was that a normal thing or motivation?  Who knows at this point?  I would note that to this point IMO Blair has been a bust.  I hope the light "comes on" at some point but to date ...

When I said "run off" I meant "write off" as a fan.  Not implying he was being forced out.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:14:25 EDT »

We will see how the OL plays out as the season progresses.  At this point in time, whether they ever play a meaningful down or not, I would not be too anxious to see an OL transfer. 

So there are guys ahead of them...even our best starter coming back from last year is hardly draft material at this point, and the new guys are all unproven under game conditions.  If I was Butch, I would be keeping all my OL options open until at least a few games into the season.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:57 EDT »

We will see how the OL plays out as the season progresses.  At this point in time, whether they ever play a meaningful down or not, I would not be too anxious to see an OL transfer. 

So there are guys ahead of them...even our best starter coming back from last year is hardly draft material at this point, and the new guys are all unproven under game conditions.  If I was Butch, I would be keeping all my OL options open until at least a few games into the season.

I kind of agree with you. You hope it doesn't happen but at some point injuries can force you to play warm bodies. You need warm bodies to play.

I think we'll be fine though. I feel pretty good about the first 8 or so, and a couple more seem to have good potential.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:39:24 EDT »

Looks like he is still on the team

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 04:12:59 EDT »

Looks like he is still on the team

Yeah, other sites are saying it would show a lack of grit if he left now, because he seems to still be in the mix and could still compete for PT.

I'm not sure where Blair went wrong.  He was highly rated.  I've seen speculation that his ceiling might be a backup and Butch doesn't want to waste reps on someone with only one more year anyway, but who knows.

What was an eye opener for me is that our three of our four most experienced guys coming back were seniors.  Somehow with all the inexperience last year I thought we were younger.

The good news is whoever replaces them will be around for a while.  There aren't that many junior OL on the roster.

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 04:26:02 EDT »

I kind of agree with you.

What's this? This is a sports message board. There's no room for agreements!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: