VTTW Board Index
July 08, 2024, 04:02:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot of people saying we were just "vanilla" vs N Texas  (Read 5682 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:38:03 EST »

I have concerns though. I feel that our offense is simply not good if Dobbs isn't allowed to run the ball 10-15 times a game. That really opens things up for this offense and makes us tough to defend. What I have seen in the last 6 qtrs. (against USCe second half, and the whole N texas game) concerns me. Against really one of the worst defenses in the country we didn't EXECUTE. We had short fields and did not score. We threw picks. We got sacked on crucial downs. Against NORTH TEXAS.

This is a team we should have been able to do whatever we wanted at will. Other much worse teams have done so against them. Yet we basically struggled on offense. That's poor execution - not scheme.

The team needs to go back to the style of offense we played vs UGA, Oklahoma, even Bama, or we won't beat Mizzou. That is a tough defense. Vandy is a tough defense as well. Butch needs to finish this season off with 2 wins and get us to a good bowl.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:46:58 EST »

I have concerns though. I feel that our offense is simply not good if Dobbs isn't allowed to run the ball 10-15 times a game. That really opens things up for this offense and makes us tough to defend. What I have seen in the last 6 qtrs. (against USCe second half, and the whole N texas game) concerns me. Against really one of the worst defenses in the country we didn't EXECUTE. We had short fields and did not score. We threw picks. We got sacked on crucial downs. Against NORTH TEXAS.

This is a team we should have been able to do whatever we wanted at will. Other much worse teams have done so against them. Yet we basically struggled on offense. That's poor execution - not scheme.

The team needs to go back to the style of offense we played vs UGA, Oklahoma, even Bama, or we won't beat Mizzou. That is a tough defense. Vandy is a tough defense as well. Butch needs to finish this season off with 2 wins and get us to a good bowl.

Agree.  Execution was horrible, but Dobbs being hobbled was part of the reason also.  Just hope he is better for Mizzou.

Given the Shanahan-like way that Butch reports injuries, I have a hunch that he is using an excess of caution to throw Mizzou off balance.  I guess we will see. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 05:04:54 EST »

Agree.  Execution was horrible, but Dobbs being hobbled was part of the reason also.  Just hope he is better for Mizzou.

Given the Shanahan-like way that Butch reports injuries, I have a hunch that he is using an excess of caution to throw Mizzou off balance.  I guess we will see.  

he didn't look hobbled to me. One time he escaped, he was running fine. That still doesn't account for the OL not really doing that well, and his interception.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:05:59 EST »

Line up our playmakers against North Texas's playmakers, and we should've been able to tell them the play call before each snap and still dominate.

If Dobbs isn't a threat to run, he shouldn't be in the game. He's ineffectual if he doesn't have that added dimension.

Lose either of the next two and Butch will be squarely on the hot seat headed into next season, IMO. Lose both and it's going to be a LONG off-season. Anyone who says that can't happen hasn't watched this team's execution the last two weeks.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:08:15 EST »

If Dobbs was that hobbled he wouldn't have played 2 1/2 quarters IMO.... Iowa put 62 on this bunch...Rice 38....Western KY 55...La. Tech 56.....and for gosh sakes, Portland State 66!!!

If Dobbs doesn't run this offense is below average....again, JMO
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:11:35 EST »

I agree with you and it concerns me too. On the surface it may seem smart to limit hits on your QB against an inferior opponent, but every time we try to do this our offense is just awful.

Here's my question-- how many points do we score if Dormady plays the whole game, with the playbook open? At least 24. So why play Dobbs at all? If he doesn't run you may as well sideline him.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 06:19:24 EST »

If Dobbs was that hobbled he wouldn't have played 2 1/2 quarters IMO.... Iowa put 62 on this bunch...Rice 38....Western KY 55...La. Tech 56.....and for gosh sakes, Portland State 66!!!

If Dobbs doesn't run this offense is below average....again, JMO
Hobbled or not he was being protected.
Something happened in the first half of the SC game and QB runs were stopped.  IMO he sustained an injury, most likely relatively minor but he has been protected. 

If we come out Saturday the same way I would be pissed.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 06:35:02 EST »

I agree with you and it concerns me too. On the surface it may seem smart to limit hits on your QB against an inferior opponent, but every time we try to do this our offense is just awful.

Here's my question-- how many points do we score if Dormady plays the whole game, with the playbook open? At least 24. So why play Dobbs at all? If he doesn't run you may as well sideline him.

Good point - and rest whatever is "hobbling" him

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:12:08 EST »

Agree on all points.  He absolutely was limited, and likely was not "hobbled" except by the coaches.  An excess of caution and/or misdirection to Mizzou is what I am banking on.  We will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:37:17 EST »

I read on another site this morning which I had forgot.....Last year Mizzou held us to 53 yards rushing and sacked Dobbs 6 times. Mizzou's defense is currently ranked 5th in the nation total defense.

Our offense better bring it's A game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:43:32 EST by Tnphil » Logged
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 09:49:30 EST »

same (i.e. elusiveness, speed and willingness to run through tackles) and that's why I said last week N Texas is one of the worst teams in the nation so start Dormandy and the reserve RBs and let them take the hits, rest the starters for the 2 games we will need them...if we needed to we could plug the starters in at any time...I don't understand why this wasn't the plan.       
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:44 EST »

Vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry - any SEC offense should have been able to score more than 24 points - considerably more - on North Frickin' Texas State.  They are one of the worst football teams in Division 1 - FBS or FCS.  There's that attempt at putting lipstick on a pig that I was talking about earlier. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 11:15:08 EST »

Vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry - any SEC offense should have been able to score more than 24 points - considerably more - on North Frickin' Texas State.  They are one of the worst football teams in Division 1 - FBS or FCS.  There's that attempt at putting lipstick on a pig that I was talking about earlier. 

Most SEC 2nd team offenses should be able to put up 24 on that bunch. Again, Portland State scored 66.....I didn't know Portland State had a football team.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 12:36:31 EST »

If we were playing and SEC team, even Vandy, we would probably have gotten beat. It still comes down to coaching. But I know how popular that idea is here.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 04:32:50 EST »

Hell we could have been French Vanilla and still should have scored at least 45

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: