VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 10:30:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the keys to having a special season next year? I feel that the number  (Read 3391 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:29:00 EST »

one thing that needs improvement is the passing game. Dobbs needs to elevate his passing accuracy to compete for a title(SEC). Makes the offense that much harder to defend if running and passing game are both running at high levels. I am really optimistic about this next season. Just a little cautious because the end of this season was eerily like the end of last season. Beat a string of teams we should beat, then embarrass BIG team in the bowl game. If this upcoming recruiting class is solid, I think we could have the depth we need to beat anyone. Right now, the biggest difference between us and Bama on the field is depth. If we add some more depth, we are right with them. FML..I hope to be at Bristol for the VT game. However, my daughter is getting married Sept 3rd. Can you say hectic week? If I go I hope to meet a lot of you knuckleheads. How many of you plan on going to Bristol? I don't get to attend many Vols games just because of business commitments. Would love to meet a bunch of you to prove I'm not the douche I come across as. Last UT game I attended was the Stoerner fumble game vs Arky. That is how often I get home during football season. Gonna be an exciting year .
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:36:44 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:10 EST »

I'll endure the crowd and traffic (Bristol didn't used to be easy to get in and out of) issues for the VT game. I don't expect Dobbs to get better at passing, he's been QBing for many years and one more off season ain't likely to have a measurable impact. I do however feel that the passing game can be modified to help him. It seems the vast majority of our passes are in the flat to a back, WR screen (I hate it), sideline curl or something deep. It also seems that Dobbs has decided at the snap where he's going with the ball and it's going there regardless of how open or covered the receiver (I saw at least 3 EASY TDs in the bowl game had he looked to the opposite side of the field). I think we need more slants, mid-range crossing patterns and TE seam patters along with the passes to the RBs. I'd also like to see us design, and teach Dobbs to play the part, passes to take advantage of what Ds seem to have scouted regarding Dobbs tendency to predetermine the receiver...have him begin to roll to one side with a receiver to that side and stop short and throw back to the other side, I can't count how many times I've seen wide open receivers to his back side of the field who could walk into the endzone.     
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:48:55 EST »

We have everything in place - experience, talent, depth. We will need to have the passing game develop - doesn't have to be Dobbs throwing for 4000 yards, but more consistent, and especially need better production from WRs.

Other than that, we look primed to go.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:22:38 EST »

Somehow the WR corps has got to remain healthy long enough to establish rhythm. Whatever physical and strength training they have been doing is not working. And last, stay out of trouble in the off-season.

IMO Dobbs will never get better as a passer until they hire a QB Coach that has actually coached and improved a QB over time.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:24:24 EST »

Somehow the WR corps has got to remain healthy long enough to establish rhythm. Whatever physical and strength training they have been doing is not working. And last, stay out of trouble in the off-season.

IMO Dobbs will never get better as a passer until they hire a QB Coach that has actually coached and improved a QB over time.
He has never coached but I think that Manning dude would be a good hire. I know he needs the money too.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:13:38 EST »

I agree that passing is the biggest concern on offense, but I also don't think the OL is completely there yet. 

They are tremendously improved since September, but I'd say right now they are an average to above average SEC OL.  I'd like to see them in the "good to excellent" range next season.  I think that can happen, but they are still not as strong as they could be.

That, and we really need Kamara to come back and give us balance. 

If the OL continues the improvement it showed this year, we get Kamara back, and yes, more consistent play from WRs and Dobbs throwing the ball, we can be really really good on offense.

On the defensive side I'm still concerned about depth at LB (hopefully that will be fixed) and the DB is a big concern, especially if Sutton leaves.  The biggest thing for the D is keeping Sutton but we also need someone other than Kelly to step up at safety.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: