VTTW Board Index
July 03, 2024, 09:55:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting article on the Shoop hire from an Auburn perspective  (Read 4313 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2016, 04:23:54 EST »

http://gridironnow.com/vols-hiring-of-shoop-a-bad-sign-for-auburn-malzahn/

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:33:39 EST »

Then I got to the end of the article and he says Will Muschamp is a better DC than Shoop, Aranda or Pruitt.

No.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:38:35 EST »

Then I got to the end of the article and he says Will Muschamp is a better DC than Shoop, Aranda or Pruitt.

No.

Oh, there's a lot to disagree with there.  But the gist of that piece is that Butch is seen as the hot coach that everyone wants to work for, while Mahlzan is seen as a coach in decline.  A year ago, could you have imagined that?  Hell, how about 3 months ago, when we were sitting at 2-3?

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:40:12 EST »

Oh, there's a lot to disagree with there.  But the gist of that piece is that Butch is seen as the hot coach that everyone wants to work for, while Mahlzan is seen as a coach in decline.  A year ago, could you have imagined that?  Hell, how about 3 months ago, when we were sitting at 2-3?

I agree with that perspective. As stated previously, I'm not as sold on this hire as many UT fans seem to be, but what makes me absolutely giddy about it is the fact that LSU tried to hire him last year and couldn't, and now Auburn tried to hire him and couldn't, and he said yes to Tennessee. That's as sure a sign as I know of that the times have changed.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 06:38:15 EST »

It's nice to see UT hire a coach that's considered a HOT name....been a while since we've seen that here. But......I'll wait until a Florida, Bama, A&M etc. game where we are up 2 points with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter to make a judgment.

IMO, this is where Butch made his decision to part ways with Jancek. We were never safe late in a game with our defense under Jancek the past 3 years it seems. This season look no further than OU...Florida...Ark...Bama. My gosh, just give me 2 of those games as wins!!......And even in some wins it was nail biting time. UGA took the ball over on the 1 foot line and drove the field to where we had to bat a ball down at the goal line to preserve the win. IIRC....USCe took over late on about the 15 and drove down the field and if not for a fumble on our 8 we most likely lose that game because we COULD NOT stop them the 4th. quarter.

Welcome aboard Coach Shoop......Now, get us some stops in nut-cutten time!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 06:56:02 EST »

It's nice to see UT hire a coach that's considered a HOT name....been a while since we've seen that here. But......I'll wait until a Florida, Bama, A&M etc. game where we are up 2 points with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter to make a judgment.

IMO, this is where Butch made his decision to part ways with Jancek. We were never safe late in a game with our defense under Jancek the past 3 years it seems. This season look no further than OU...Florida...Ark...Bama. My gosh, just give me 2 of those games as wins!!......And even in some wins it was nail biting time. UGA took the ball over on the 1 foot line and drove the field to where we had to bat a ball down at the goal line to preserve the win. IIRC....USCe took over late on about the 15 and drove down the field and if not for a fumble on our 8 we most likely lose that game because we COULD NOT stop them the 4th. quarter.

Welcome aboard Coach Shoop......Now, get us some stops in nut-cutten time!
Fundamentals need work.  Tackling was, at times, horrendous.  Coverage, closing on the ball, not good.  The DL had the best fundamentals, IMO due to Coach Strip.  While the LBs improved and were/are very good athletically all too often they were out of position - why?  Zone coverage in particular needs work.  FWIW we played zone much better in the bowl game (man under, zone over the top, more than we had been during the season).  For a number of years, through several DCs, our safeties have been bad in zone (really, really bad under Chavis).  I hope that improves under Shoop.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:08:15 EST »

Fundamentals need work.  Tackling was, at times, horrendous.  Coverage, closing on the ball, not good.  The DL had the best fundamentals, IMO due to Coach Strip.  While the LBs improved and were/are very good athletically all too often they were out of position - why?  Zone coverage in particular needs work.  FWIW we played zone much better in the bowl game (man under, zone over the top, more than we had been during the season).  For a number of years, through several DCs, our safeties have been bad in zone (really, really bad under Chavis).  I hope that improves under Shoop.

Agree, Pirate....Good post!

Based on what I've read on some Penn State boards Shoops has some weakness on that backend of his defense....Ouch!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:06:05 EST »

yeah

Auburn is equal to if not superior to Tennessee in facilities, tradition, recruiting base (far superior), quality of life …

Knoxville may not be the garden spot of the entire world, but anyone who speaks of "quality of life" down on the plains is just plain funny

And while their facilities may be close (with our recent upgrade we are one of the best in the country though) our tradition is just flat better than theirs, although they do have a fine one

Anyway, this might be the best hire we've made in some time.

Down the road, I even wonder if Shoop is HC material.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:34:11 EST »

yeah

Auburn is equal to if not superior to Tennessee in facilities, tradition, recruiting base (far superior), quality of life …

Knoxville may not be the garden spot of the entire world, but anyone who speaks of "quality of life" down on the plains is just plain funny

And while their facilities may be close (with our recent upgrade we are one of the best in the country though) our tradition is just flat better than theirs, although they do have a fine one

Anyway, this might be the best hire we've made in some time.

Down the road, I even wonder if Shoop is HC material.   

Yeah- the sour grapes crowd on the PSU board is saying that he'll only stay at UT 2-3 years before taking a HC job.  To which I say, GOOD.  I certainly hope so. If he does that well, then it probably means really good things for our program. 

The most inappropriate comment on VN that I still found really funny (because I'm just an ass like that):  "There's so much butthurt up in PA today that I thought Jerry Sandusky had escaped from prison".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: