VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:53:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is just what UTK needs right now.. Unbelieveable  (Read 17279 times)
Live Orange
Walk-On

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:17:15 EDT »

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/04/01/tennessee-lawmakers-fume-over-state-universitys-sex-week.html?intcmp=hpbt4
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:28:39 EDT »

Is this the first time you noticed that Sex Week happens at UT, or just the first time you've been outraged by it?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:33:20 EDT »

Is this the first time you noticed that Sex Week happens at UT, or just the first time you've been outraged by it?

It's always been stupid and embarrassing. When writers with a national voice start paying homage to it, that makes it all the worse.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:04:07 EDT »

When writers with a national voice start paying homage to it, that makes it all the worse.

Well then it's a good thing that morons like Todd Starnes can be easily ignored.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 02:51:50 EDT »

Well then it's a good thing that morons like Todd Starnes can be easily ignored.

I'll be honest: I don't understand the need to defend every thing the university implements or condones. There are bad decisions that are made on campus. Todd Starnes is a melodramatic hack, but it isn't like he created the controversy that surrounds "sex week." He is far from the only one who has written about the controversy over the past few years. And if not for the state lawmakers who have gotten rankled by it, Starnes' piece probably isn't written in the first place. Now we can argue that state lawmakers go overboard, and I would be the first to agree with that. Frankly, the TNGOP is at times an embarrassment to the conservative movement. But I still don't understand the rush to condone such flippant foolishness. I get that universities, by their very nature, are more liberal than the general populous, but this is still a deeply conservative state so it's no surprise that people are going to be offended by stuff like that. And it isn't hard to see how a piece like Starnes' can really take hold among the general population given the current headlines that are coming out of the university. To that point, Live Orange was spot-on: It really isn't what UT needs right now.
Live Orange
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:59:30 EDT »

Neither.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 05:53:22 EDT »

Hilarious. I had no idea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:46:23 EDT »

I'll be honest: I don't understand the need to defend every thing the university implements or condones. There are bad decisions that are made on campus. Todd Starnes is a melodramatic hack, but it isn't like he created the controversy that surrounds "sex week." He is far from the only one who has written about the controversy over the past few years. And if not for the state lawmakers who have gotten rankled by it, Starnes' piece probably isn't written in the first place. Now we can argue that state lawmakers go overboard, and I would be the first to agree with that. Frankly, the TNGOP is at times an embarrassment to the conservative movement. But I still don't understand the rush to condone such flippant foolishness. I get that universities, by their very nature, are more liberal than the general populous, but this is still a deeply conservative state so it's no surprise that people are going to be offended by stuff like that. And it isn't hard to see how a piece like Starnes' can really take hold among the general population given the current headlines that are coming out of the university. To that point, Live Orange was spot-on: It really isn't what UT needs right now.

It simply baffles me what monies are being spent on at UT, given the budget shortfalls that the powers that be within the University are whining and bitching about.  

And while this is ok for monies to be spent on, try to bring in a conservative approach using UT/student fee monies.  We all know that would never happen.  

I certainly don't agree with everything going on with the legislature in Nashville, but the reality is that given leadership at UT right now there is no other recourse for dealing with this kind of stupidity at the University. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:47:57 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:38:41 EDT »

No state money is being spent on this. It is all student activity fee paid and the students (not the university) are responsible. If a student does not want to support it, their pro-rated share goes elsewhere. I am an old retired male and I swear you people sound like a bunch of cranky old Southern women complaining. If I were a student, I would endorse this just to whiz off all those hypocrites in the Legislature.
VOLveeta
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 12:06:30 EDT »

No state money is being spent on this. It is all student activity fee paid and the students (not the university) are responsible. If a student does not want to support it, their pro-rated share goes elsewhere. I am an old retired male and I swear you people sound like a bunch of cranky old Southern women complaining. If I were a student, I would endorse this just to whiz off all those hypocrites in the Legislature.

I am literally standing... please hold... there, applauding this post.  Good for you.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 01:07:14 EDT »

It's really hard to use that as a defense when that is a mandatory fee.  There is nothing voluntary about it and even if a student does oppose using it for that purpose there is no reduction in that fee, or money returned.  

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:08:53 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 09:16:01 EDT »

Um, what exactly is sex week?  Purpose?
VOLveeta
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 01:11:14 EDT »

Um, what exactly is sex week?

I just called it "college".   
10EC
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:40:43 EDT »

I just called it "college".   

That's EXACTLY why I asked.   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 02:56:57 EDT »

It's really hard to use that as a defense when that is a mandatory fee.  There is nothing voluntary about it and even if a student does oppose using it for that purpose there is no reduction in that fee, or money returned.  

They still have to pay the fee but they are not paying for student activities that they disagree with unless they want to. So you can consider this fee mandatory, but supporting Sex Week with the fee is not. If a student disagrees with the way those funds are used, he or she can opt for that fee to go toward other things. The last time a big stink was made about the use of student activity fees-- and it was about Sex Week that time too-- the UT administration bowed to the pressure and made a policy change.

http://spsf.utk.edu/?page_id=23

I understand why UT yielded to politics, but personally I think the policy change is idiotic. This is a college campus. Sex happens. It happens a lot. And the negative consequences of sex among young people are much less likely to occur if there is actually an open and inviting dialogue on the subject, downplaying the idea that it's taboo or bad and that it should be kept quiet and dark-- where abuse is easy and convenient, and where safety takes a back seat.

10EC
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:31:54 EDT »

They still have to pay the fee but they are not paying for student activities that they disagree with unless they want to. So you can consider this fee mandatory, but supporting Sex Week with the fee is not. If a student disagrees with the way those funds are used, he or she can opt for that fee to go toward other things. The last time a big stink was made about the use of student activity fees-- and it was about Sex Week that time too-- the UT administration bowed to the pressure and made a policy change.

I understand why UT yielded to politics, but personally I think the policy change is idiotic. This is a college campus. Sex happens. It happens a lot. And the negative consequences of sex among young people are much less likely to occur if there is actually an open and inviting dialogue on the subject, downplaying the idea that it's taboo or bad and that it should be kept quiet and dark-- where abuse is easy and convenient, and where safety takes a back seat.

Is it an Sex Education class or something?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 03:38:13 EDT »

Is it an Sex Education class or something?

Partly that, partly quirky and fun sex-related seminars/events and such. Contrary to OP's sentiment I think things like this are more important than ever with the Title IX business.

http://sexweekut.org/about/

Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 03:44:55 EDT »

LOL.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 04:25:43 EDT »

Part of my fee paid for Hitchcock movies on Wednesday nights in the student center ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:08 EDT »

Part of my fee paid for Hitchcock movies on Wednesday nights in the student center ...

I miss out on all this free stuff apparently.  I was too busy drink beer at The Library...
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 05:55:34 EDT »

It's a mandatory fee, CO.  No matter how you try to spin it part of that fee is going towards that.  They can say they don't want to contribute to it, but the REALITY is that part of the fee they are paying is, in fact, funding it.  It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:58:29 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 05:57:45 EDT »

I miss out on all this free stuff apparently.  I was too busy drink beer at The Library...

And I'll bet you paid for that yourself instead of expecting others to pay for it, too.

And that's the crux of the issue.  If students want to have a "sex week", then by all means have at it, but don't expect common fees to pay for it.  Pony up for it yourself, or find corporate or private monies to fund it. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 06:04:34 EDT »

And I'll bet you paid for that yourself instead of expecting others to pay for it, too.

And that's the crux of the issue.  If students want to have a "sex week", then by all means have at it, but don't expect common fees to pay for it.  Pony up for it yourself, or find corporate or private monies to fund it. 

I must be missing something.  This is a "series" of lecturers discussing Sex?  I assume safe practices etc?? 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 06:13:28 EDT »

I must be missing something.  This is a "series" of lecturers discussing Sex?  I assume safe practices etc?? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 06:48:56 EDT »

I wonder....at the Wed. 6pm session will they demonstrate the proper way to butt chug beer?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: