VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 03:07:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should we expect from VT? Another team led by a Bud Foster defense or  (Read 4031 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:15:00 EDT »

do they have any offensive firepower?

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 05:36:44 EDT »

Justin Fuente is a solid offensive coach.  They don't have a lot of offensive talent at VPI right now, but Fuente has proved he can coach up his guys. 

And Bud Foster is simply one of the best DCs in college football. 

I believe that UT will win the game, but I also believe that the game will go deep in to the 4th quarter before it's decided.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:29:50 EDT »

Justin Fuente is a solid offensive coach.  They don't have a lot of offensive talent at VPI right now, but Fuente has proved he can coach up his guys. 

And yes, one game against Liberty is a great way to judge that.      I'll believe it when I see it.

It may well go into the 4th quarter, but I can see us winning comfortably also.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:19:30 EDT »

Bandit, you feeling argumentative tonight?  I think Fuente's days at Memphis more than proved he can coach his guys up.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 08:37:27 EDT »

And yes, one game against Liberty is a great way to judge that.      I'll believe it when I see it.

It may well go into the 4th quarter, but I can see us winning comfortably also.

Where did I say that?

The guy coached up his offensive guys at MEMPHIS FRICKIN' STATE!

Again, you fail to see the big picture. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 05:09:49 EDT »

Bandit, you feeling argumentative tonight?  I think Fuente's days at Memphis more than proved he can coach his guys up.

I could counter that he had his own players at Memphis, developed over a number of years.  VaTech's offense was below average last year, and I saw nothing against Liberty to suggest that has changed.

I do hope I'm right.  I'd hate to see us give up a bunch of points to VaTech.

I'll double down.  No doubt Bud Foster defenses are always solid.  But did you know last years D gave up the most points in at least two decades? (I only found records going back to 96).  And that they were 59th in the country in scoring D?  Foster's good, but he has 7 starters back from a D that was literally the worst VaTech D in 20 years.  Good luck with that.

That doesn't mean I am going to predict we score a lot of points, not after the way the O Line shizzle all over itself last week.  But at least this D at VaTech appears to be vulnerable.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:14:51 EDT »

Just noticed that Foster's Wiki has all his stats at VaTech.   They were 75th in the country against the run last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Foster

I feel better about this game.

PS Appy State was 27th, though against an easier schedule, but still

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 06:25:17 EDT »

VT's recruiting has been below par for them the past few years.

Recruiting does matter.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:17:49 EDT »

I could counter that he had his own players at Memphis, developed over a number of years.  VaTech's offense was below average last year, and I saw nothing against Liberty to suggest that has changed.

We also saw nothing from UT's offense last week to surmised that they are worth a damn. 

So, you are telling me that the talent at VPI is not as good as it was at Memphis State? 

Uh, ok.  If you say so.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:22:29 EDT »

We also saw nothing from UT's offense last week to surmised that they are worth a damn. 

So, you are telling me that the talent at VPI is not as good as it was at Memphis State? 

Uh, ok.  If you say so.   

Actually memphis has recruited fairly well the last few years. Plenty of talent in that area

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:23:26 EDT »

Actually memphis has recruited fairly well the last few years. Plenty of talent in that area

Let me add that Memphis schedule is also much softer than vatechs.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 07:47:56 EDT »

So a lot of Justin Fuente's success on offense at Memphis was due to Paxton Lynch.  I didn't realize till just now that he was Denver's no. 1 draft choice, who looked really good Thursday (of course, the NFL is filled with the debris of rookie QBs looking good until teams get about a half season of video on them, but I digress).

Credit where credit is due...Fuente recruited Paxton in his first year and Paxton was a 2-star at that time.  

Jerod Evans was the highest rated Juco last year and a Rivals 4-star.  So he has playing experience in Juco and maybe at Air Force which he transferred from.

Does that mean he will tear up the Vols tonight?  I guess we will find out.  And although Evans had a 162 QBR against Liberty, that doesn't mean squat.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:04:51 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: