VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:17:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sounding like the croc-corndog game will get moved to Baton Rouge*  (Read 17527 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2016, 06:13:37 EDT »

10EC
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:15:30 EDT »

We need that game to be played....
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:17:05 EDT »

Been hearing that too. South Carolina-LSU game last year was moved to Baton Rouge.....Spurrier's last game before he resigned.

They are also saying the UGA-USCe game might be moved to the Georgia Dome.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:21:10 EDT »

Go corn dogs, no matter where it is played.

I think they win relatively easily.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:21:45 EDT »

We need that game to be played....
I don't think there is anyway it just gets outright canceled.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 06:29:31 EDT »

I don't think there is anyway it just gets outright canceled.

It will be played, somehow......What year was it because of a hurricane we played at LSU on Monday....I think?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 06:39:48 EDT »

Anyone think Orgeron keeps the job if he does well the rest of the way? If he can open up the offense they will not be an easy out. Hope they embarrass the crocs.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:46 EDT »

It will be played, somehow......What year was it because of a hurricane we played at LSU on Monday....I think?

2005. The great comeback.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:27:22 EDT »

2005. The great comeback.
Clausen rescues Ainge

Bandit and I we're there

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 11:16:58 EDT »

Clausen rescues Ainge

Bandit and I we're there

Yep.  And the greatest part was the idjut cajun sitting right next to us, who, just prior to half, stated loudly for our benefit that "I hope they put Clausen in".

Well, he got his wish.  Too bad he wasn't around at the end.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 06:06:27 EDT »

UF is refusing to move the game and insisting it be played at Gainesville. Will announce at 1:00 PM today the starting time. So they do not care that tropical and/or hurricane force winds and up to 10 in. of rain may hit Friday. I guess no electricity, police, and medical staff on site will not be a problem. Because that is likely to happen. It will be gone by Saturday. Who cares if the roads may be impassable and dangerous. It is more important that this game be played and on SEC Network (provided there is electricity to the trucks and satellite antenna are still in Florida and working).

UF may just prove that football is more important than sanity and safety. Covering your ears and screaming "Nah, Nah, Nah. I am not listening to you." is such a mature response to a possible disaster.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 06:14:11 EDT »

UF is refusing to move the game and insisting it be played at Gainesville. Will announce at 1:00 PM today the starting time. So they do not care that tropical and/or hurricane force winds and up to 10 in. of rain may hit Friday. I guess no electricity, police, and medical staff on site will not be a problem. Because that is likely to happen. It will be gone by Saturday. Who cares if the roads may be impassable and dangerous. It is more important that this game be played and on SEC Network (provided there is electricity to the trucks and satellite antenna are still in Florida and working).

UF may just prove that football is more important than sanity and safety. Covering your ears and screaming "Nah, Nah, Nah. I am not listening to you." is such a mature response to a possible disaster.

Hm, well, it's "only" a Cat 3 Hurricaine, and Hogtown is about as far inland as it gets in Floridy.  It may not touch down anywhere near the coast contiguous to Hogtown either.  IMO, Gainesville/Hogtown is unlikely to be hit that hard.  We will see I guess.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 06:51:52 EDT »

Hm, well, it's "only" a Cat 3 Hurricaine, and Hogtown is about as far inland as it gets in Floridy.  It may not touch down anywhere near the coast contiguous to Hogtown either.  IMO, Gainesville/Hogtown is unlikely to be hit that hard.  We will see I guess.

Now a Cat 4....140MPH sustained wind. Bad storm. Gainesville is 75 miles from the coast.

I went through Hurricane David in Florida in 1979....As a crow flies we were 4 miles from the Atlantic....That one hurricane was enough for me.
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 08:02:14 EDT »

Category 3 is the threshold of a major hurricane. At the very least, it's no weather to be playing football in, even 75 miles inland.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:24:52 EDT »

Cat 4 is definitely worse...it may still be likely to mostly miss gainesville.

What I suspect is that florida would rather it move later in the year and don't want it played in br. So rather than move it now, they say it's on and if weather goes bad it will be made up later, possibly Sunday or monday. End of season not an option since sec teams no longer have bye prior to seccg.

Transparent move by florida to keep it a home game, but I don't blame them.

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 09:57:16 EDT »

Game is canceled, will not be made up, per reports.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 10:13:45 EDT »

No way they can do that. We made up our game with Florida in 2001. Push the SECCG game back a week. Problem solved.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 10:22:09 EDT »

no, it is postpones, will be made up, if required
We win out it doesn't matter
We lose one it doesn't matter
They lose another it most likely didn't matter, and they will
L$U will most likely drive whether the game is played
I guess FL after buying a new AD can't afford to. It out PU 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 10:28:55 EDT »

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 10:34:38 EDT »

no, it is postpones, will be made up, if required
We win out it doesn't matter
We lose one it doesn't matter
They lose another it most likely didn't matter, and they will
L$U will most likely drive whether the game is played
I guess FL after buying a new AD can't afford to. It out PU  

^This.....No school can have one less SEC game if it matters in the standings....Will Not happen. If we were to lose 2 SEC games and Florida were to run the table in the SEC...we would have 2 losses and Florida only 1. That can't and won't happen without them having to play the game. As you posted....it might not matter. If it does matter they will have to play it.

Heck...if you can not play a game and it doesn't matter if you make it up or not....why don't we flood Neyland next Thursday and say....we can't play Bama our field is under water and we aren't going to make it up.

Edit: Not saying to shy away from Bama...just making a point.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:20:57 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:42 EDT »

I listened to Foley live as I was driving at the time, and he said whether it would be made up is TBD, but that is the intent.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 11:31:58 EDT »

As I say above, I listed to the Foley presser because I was driving and it was on the Slimebaum show.  He very strongly emphasized that it was about safety.

What's interesting is, FSU-Miami has yet to be moved, and FAU managed to reschedule their game already although that isn't final.

Now, FSU-Miami is in Miami which is the other end of the state and also on Saturday night, both of which no doubt were factors.  Foley also mentioned that Gainseville will be swamped with folks from the coast and they want hotel rooms freed up for that.

But it does seem that UF is taking a different approach than other teams.  UNC is also not moving their game. 

So...great excuse there Foley.    

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 12:45:16 EDT »

Play it on a Sunday....Both play patsies the same weekend to.

Bottom line is...if it comes down to matter who wins the East they have to play the game.
Creek Walker
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 01:02:20 EDT »

The initial report was from Baton Rouge press and has since been corrected. But with that said, there is no rule that says they have to make up the game.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 01:43:20 EDT »

If the East is riding on it, that game better get played.  I swear to God, if the SEC sends a 6-1 croc team to the Championship ahead of a 6-2 UT team that spanked them head to head, a year after letting them keep 6 wins with a PED-enhanced QB...

But that being said, corndog fans are the LAST ones who should be complaining about this.  Recall the conversation prior to our game in 2005:

UT: We're so sorry for all you guys have gone through.  And now it looks like there's another storm headed your way.  Clearly it will be logistically impossible to play a game down there this week.  So why don't we just swap home dates?  You guys come up to Knoxville on Saturday, and we'll go down there next year.

LSU: Yeah, sorry, but that's just not going to work for us.  Our fans have lost their homes, and everything they own.  Many have lost loved ones.  Food and water are scarce across the region. What these people need right now, more than anything in the world, is to go to a football game.

UT: Really?  THAT'S what they need more than anything in the world?

LSU:  Are you being insensitive to the suffering of Louisianans?!

UT: NO, no no.  We just...

LSU: KATRINA!

UT: Okay, sorry.  What do you propose?

LSU: We're going to play on Monday.

UT: Monday?  But isn't Hurricane Rita supposed to make landfall around then?

LSU: Well, yeah.  But it's probably going to miss us.  Probably.

UT: Uh, ok.  If we play it sometime in the afternoon, that would work best for us.  That would give our people time to drive down and back up afterwards, since there are no hotel rooms available.

LSU: No, we're playing a night game.  That's what we do.  Our people need a night game.

UT: But that would mean that most of our 10,000 fans who were planning to come will have to eat their tickets.

LSU: Yeah, and since there are no rooms, you'll have to leave your band and cheerleaders at home, too.

UT: Why can't we just do it in the daytime?

LSU: BECAUSE KATRINA!  ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO FIGHT US ON THIS, AFTER ALL WE'VE BEEN THROUGH?

UT: No, no, no.  Sorry.  Just secure a few rooms for our team, and we'll be down there Monday night.

LSU: No rooms means no rooms.  Your team is going to have to come down the day of the game and go back that night.  Oh, and the airports are closed, so they'll have to bus down.

UT: Wait, isn't YOUR team staying in a hotel the night before?

LSU: Yeah.  What of it?

UT: Well, couldn't they just stay in their OWN dorms?

LSU: No.

UT: Can OUR team stay in your dorms?

LSU: ARE YOU QUESTIONING US?

UT: No, no no.  It just seems that you're taking advantage of the situ...

LSU: KATRINA!

UT: Sorry.

LSU: Now we've been through a lot, and we REALLY need this win, so you WILL be good patsies and play the Washington Generals to our Harlem Globetrotters, right?

UT: That's one option.  Or we could beat your ass with your former backup QB.  One or the other.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: