VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 04:22:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Um... question here.  (Read 3488 times)
10EC
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:04:34 EDT »

Does anyone not give Butch a break for the insane amount of injuries to this team?
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:15:36 EDT »

That's a fair question. Had Jones beaten OU and UF last year, he'd get a pass for the injuries this season, but by achieving the bare minimum in 2015, he set 2016 up as an all-or-nothing deal.

Even then, he could have gotten away with dropping A&M if he didn't lose to SC. Compounding that loss is the fact the Vols have looked unprepared in wins.

In 1992, no one complained about losing 17-10 to eventual national champion Alabama. Losing to bad Arkansas and South Carolina teams got Majors.

However, those loses wouldn't have finished him had the 1990 squad not underachieved so much, and to some extent the '91 team.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:22:03 EDT »

Does anyone not give Butch a break for the insane amount of injuries to this team?
not this week
We were better (on paper) than the team we played Saturday night
The speed and talent level was obvious watching it in the stadium (and even commented in by the SCe fans around me)

The one area that has killed us are the injuries to the secondary.
Having both Cam and Forman out has hurt us badly and Saturday night
Losing both Micah and then Evan in the 4th killed us.  I imagine film review was, err interesting, for Warrior (DB9 looked like he wanted to make Warrior his 4th sack of the game after their last TD)

The injuries to the DTs has the potential to hurt us going forward but we should get healthier in the secondary with first Forman, Micah and Berry and then Cam returning

One thing that concerned me was once in the 2nd half Kirtland was slow to get up and he was favoring an ankle when he did
He kept playing that series and subsequent but stilll a concern

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:56:15 EDT »

I agree with these guys. The whole body of work must be considered. If Tennessee looked good in the five wins, and put up a good effort against South Carolina, I'm okay with injuries costing us a game. But Tennessee looked disinterested, out-schemed, out-hustled, out-coached, etc., against South Carolina. I can't blame injuries for that egg we laid in Columbia. So then I back up and start paying closer attention to the fact that we really haven't played a complete game of football at any point this season, even when everyone was healthy.

I've given Butch a pass for three years. He doesn't get a pass any longer from me. It's time to put up or shut up.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:49:26 EDT »

I don't have a problem giving him a pass if he would just learn to face adversity with a little more grace.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:09:21 EDT »

I don't have a problem giving him a pass if he would just learn to face adversity with a little more grace.
I don't watch press conferences generally. I would say that Coach Jones is likely more disappointed than anyone else. I would have difficulty being nice & graceful today. That aside, everything was still on track until Saturday night even with all the injuries. The offense was statistically remarkable against tamu. And infamous for 7 turnovers. Then the bama ass whipping, but still on track. Jones ain't going anywhere. So, as a fan, he has to get a pass. What choice do I have? ;) I think we will see a new OC & OL coach at a minimum. I'm no football expert, but I do know just a couple players or even coaches can lead to big swings in success, or failure at this level.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:18:19 EDT »

I don't watch press conferences generally. I would say that Coach Jones is likely more disappointed than anyone else. I would have difficulty being nice & graceful today. That aside, everything was still on track until Saturday night even with all the injuries. The offense was statistically remarkable against tamu. And infamous for 7 turnovers. Then the bama ass whipping, but still on track. Jones ain't going anywhere. So, as a fan, he has to get a pass. What choice do I have? ;) I think we will see a new OC & OL coach at a minimum. I'm no football expert, but I do know just a couple players or even coaches can lead to big swings in success, or failure at this level.

1988... started out 0-6? Let that damn tanneyhill beat us? Or are my years running together?
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:32:01 EDT »

1988... started out 0-6? Let that damn tanneyhill beat us? Or are my years running together?

Tanneyhill was 1992.  South Carolina wasn't in the SEC yet in 1988.  

I was at that game, or rather the circus.  They were filming scenes from the movie The Program that day and Tanneyhill beat us.  That was the game that Mose Phillips scored in the last minute on one of the best runs in UT football history to make it a 1 point game, and then Johnny goes for two and throws it to Little Man Stewart on the 2 point conversion attempt on a swing pass at the 8 yard line and he was stuffed.  

And it was the following week that Majors was fired.  That was the third of three losses in a row, Arkansas, Bama, and South Carolina.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:34:24 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: