VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:31:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $100K bonus to the head coach for getting to the Music Frickin' City Bowl  (Read 4008 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:08 EST »

Who drew up that contract?   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:58:20 EST »

It's been reported that Butch is donating all of it to the Gatlinburg relief??? If true?..... at least it goes to a good...very good cause.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:47:47 EST »

It's been reported that Butch is donating all of it to the Gatlinburg relief??? If true?..... at least it goes to a good...very good cause.

Nope. False Twitter rumor.  
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:17:32 EST »

Figures.....That's why I posted, If True.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:34:14 EST »

I have no problem with a coach making 100K bonus for a minor bowl game.  Any bowl is better than none at all.

It's a lot of money to us mere mortals, but head coaches in the SEC scoff at that amount.    I'll be the first to say coaching salaries are out of hand, but it starts with what we as fans are willing to pay and put up with.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 04:42:58 EST »

Let him have the bonus. Give him a raise and extension. But agree that the raise and extension is contingent on reducing his buyout to $2M paid out over 4 years. If he does not agree, no raise or extension. Let him and his agent know that the university is not satisfied with the direction of the program and player development (i.e., the assistant coaches are bad). Let him know he is free to look around and he is free to leave with no buy out. Let him no the next contract he signs is going to include disincentives to balance out the incentives. So make money and save it while you can Butch because the new chancellor and AD will have zero loyalty and reason to keep you. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:02:08 EST »

Let him have the bonus. Give him a raise and extension. But agree that the raise and extension is contingent on reducing his buyout to $2M paid out over 4 years. If he does not agree, no raise or extension. Let him and his agent know that the university is not satisfied with the direction of the program and player development (i.e., the assistant coaches are bad). Let him know he is free to look around and he is free to leave with no buy out. Let him no the next contract he signs is going to include disincentives to balance out the incentives. So make money and save it while you can Butch because the new chancellor and AD will have zero loyalty and reason to keep you. 

Sounds reasonable

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:58:47 EST »

According to one of Basilio's columns last week, Butch's agent was asking for a 2 mil increase on the buyout.

When I read that, it sounded like he was asking for something for which he knew UT would say no, thereby giving him a reason to leave.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:29:59 EST »

Right now I just don't see where Butch could go that wasn't down. Places across the country knows what resources UT puts into the program and don't do well or fail expectations it sends a message. Purdue just hired the Western KY coach......20 million for 6 years.

IMO, 2 things happen in 2017. We have a subpar season and Butch is gone not by his choice.....We have a better than average 9 or plus season and Butch leaves. Right now I'd be really surprised if he was still here after 2017.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:53 EST »

According to one of Basilio's columns last week, Butch's agent was asking for a 2 mil increase on the buyout.

When I read that, it sounded like he was asking for something for which he knew UT would say no, thereby giving him a reason to leave.

If he chooses to leave under those circumstances, good riddance.  

I have also read though, that it's not so much about the money increase as it is the vote of confidence/face type thing.  In other words, it's common to give a coach a "bump" at the end of the season, and if one is not given, it's almost seen as a rebuke.

My take...if coaches and their agents have goaded the system into accepting that as the norm, then bad on the college admins, because that's ridiculous.  On what other planet and in what other job does it work that way?  Oh wait...maybe if you consider the coach a CEO of sorts.  Hmmmm....I get it now, but any further discussion might move to PolitVol.

Having said that, after the limp way we ended this season Butch deserves a mild rebuke.  Period, dot.  If he doesn't like that, he can take his whiny arse elsewhere.

I am still pleased and appreciative of the job he has done so far this up until the last half the season this year, and I am willing to give him another year to redeem himself.  If that isn't enough, tough shizzle.  Coaching football is a MAN'S WORLD.    

And to push back the other way, first of all the rumor that he is asking for an increase in the buyout is just that...a rumor.  And even if true, I am sure his agent adapts all kinds of positions that probably seem unreasonable just as a starting point in negotiations.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:34:34 EST by BanditVol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 04:52:59 EST »

Any bonus should be automatically be forfeited for losing to Vandy. 

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:24:24 EST »

Any bonus should be automatically be forfeited for losing to Vandy. 

The reality is, that would be a contract mod.  You might as well fire the guy, it would be easier.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: