VTTW Board Index
May 23, 2024, 11:46:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attn Pirate, cell coverage (Verizon at least) in Neyland...  (Read 6303 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:40:15 EDT »

Has NOT improved.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 12:50:15 EDT »

Color me NOT shocked

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:37:18 EDT »

I've been to two games in the new Braves' stadium Suntrust Park this year, and I got as good or even better coverage there as I do here at home.  And that's just on Verizon's network, which you don't even have to use- because they also have wifi transmitters in every single aisle.

Wish we could do that at Neyland.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:45:18 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:07:44 EDT »

I've been to two games in the new Braves' stadium Suntrust Park this year, and I got as good or even better coverage there as I do here at home.  And that's just on Verizon's network, which you don't even have to use- because they also have wifi transmitters in every single aisle.

Wish we could do that at Neyland.

well yeah...but...it's new 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:23:32 EDT »

well yeah...but...it's new 
at ATM last year had GOOD WIFI the entire game
And while there were recent renovations that is not "new"
It is just the administration not giving a damn about the actual fan experience inside Neyland
Hell nothing says we don't give a damn than the new 3rd down atrocity
Heck, even the old people got into to 3rd down for what

That is why I was glad to see Hart go.  He talked a good game but then didn't do the square root of squat about it!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 02:29:25 EDT »

It is just the administration not giving a damn about the actual fan experience inside Neyland

That is why I was glad to see Hart go.  He talked a good game but then didn't do the square root of squat about it!

Our new third down anthem is embarrassing.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 02:48:04 EDT »

True, but College Station is just that.   Just barely enough town to support the campus out in the middle of the Texas wilderness while Knoxville is a mid-siaxed city in a heavily populated county.  Also Tamu put way more into their stadium renovation with oil money.  I don't believe UT has attempted such a major renovation of Neyland.  It has been pieced out over the years.

I did read that we are now the most profitable AD in the SEC, so you would think money is there now.

I agree that coverage SHOULD be expanded.  It's something the donor base should be very vocal about.  You should start an online petition. I will sign.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 02:50:05 EDT »

Also Pirate, I did have some issues at Tamu.  Not many, but some.  It wasn't perfect by any means. Let me put it this way...I would not have been able to watch a video, that's for sure.  And the board did occasionally open slowly.  I was concerned about preserving battery for the hour long drive back to my hotel though, so I used sparingly.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 02:53:42 EDT »

True, but College Station is just that.   Just barely enough town to support the campus out in the middle of the Texas wilderness while Knoxville is a mid-siaxed city in a heavily populated county.  Also Tamu put way more into their stadium renovation with oil money.  I don't believe UT has attempted such a major renovation of Neyland.  It has been pieced out over the years.

I did read that we are now the most profitable AD in the SEC, so you would think money is there now.

I agree that coverage SHOULD be expanded.  It's something the donor base should be very vocal about.  You should start an online petition. I will sign.

The stadium is only part of the problem.  Pretty much all of downtown/campus is a dead zone on gamedays.  If you're tailgating in the area, you can pretty much discard your phone within 4 hours of kickoff, because it will just be a useless brick.  That's something that needs to be addressed by Verizon, AT&T, etc., probably in conjunction with UT.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 03:01:49 EDT »

How about Fenway Park, which was built in 1912, and has some of the best coverage in sports?  It CAN be done.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2015/10/21/the-best-wireless-carriers-ranked-for-every-major-league-baseball-park/#1baf27e75c2b

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 03:33:43 EDT »

Also Pirate, I did have some issues at Tamu.  Not many, but some.  It wasn't perfect by any means. Let me put it this way...I would not have been able to watch a video, that's for sure.  And the board did occasionally open slowly.  I was concerned about preserving battery for the hour long drive back to my hotel though, so I used sparingly.
Thats why you own, or rent, a vehicle with a USB port, to keep the phone charged ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 04:24:28 EDT »

How about Fenway Park, which was built in 1912, and has some of the best coverage in sports?  It CAN be done.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2015/10/21/the-best-wireless-carriers-ranked-for-every-major-league-baseball-park/#1baf27e75c2b

Yes.  But my point in responding to you (and not Pirate cough cough  ) is that I was in Atlanta for the Eclipse, and I personally met 2-3 people who toured the new stadium and I also saw an interview of the person in charge of building it.  The Falcons appointed a "GM of the stadium" Scott Jenkins, and on local news in Atlanta a couple weeks ago, he talked about how they tirelessly solicited opinions from the customer base and responded.  He mentioned the wireless thing, but also how they went out of their way to address traffic via MARTA and traffic flow and parking and so forth.  He clearly did a good job.  He also clearly had a huge budget.  Atlanta is BOOMING.  No matter where I went, an interstate was being expanded it seems.  This contrasts with my first trip to see my sister in 1994, when I was told that there were not enough funds to expand the Beltway all at once so it was constantly being done a bit at a time.

So you need two things.  A leader that cares, and the $$$ to do something about it.  They obviously have both in Fenway Park.  As for Tamu, I question how great it was. I personally had some issues, though it was not as bad as Neyland.

Anyway....given VinnieVols report that our new AD was trolling the stands, and the fact that Hart, whatever else you think of him, righted the ship, NOW would seem to be the time to let our fearless leader know how important this is.  He might even do something about it.

Or just bitch.  Up to you (Pirate).   

But maybe try writing a letter?  I would, but not a season ticket holder.  Ah hell, I'll write it anyway.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:27 EDT »

Thats why you own, or rent, a vehicle with a USB port, to keep the phone charged ...

Yes.  But I didn't $40 for the phone charger cause I already had one that worked for a Droid.  The salesperson went ape shizzle over that, which I figured was the typical approach, but my old Droid barely keeps a charge on the phone, and if Google Maps is running (a real power hog) it becomes marginal.  So I hold some reserve battery to ensure I don't get lost when I am in say, the ass end of Texas.   

Also my phone is now officially 3 years old as of last month, and starts to cut out at 20%.  I could/should have bought a new car phone charger at some point , but it was rarely an issue.   I  only need to worry about it 1 or 2 times a year, at most.  Like when I am in bum fizzle texas.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 04:40:40 EDT »

The stadium is only part of the problem.  Pretty much all of downtown/campus is a dead zone on gamedays.  If you're tailgating in the area, you can pretty much discard your phone within 4 hours of kickoff, because it will just be a useless brick.  That's something that needs to be addressed by Verizon, AT&T, etc., probably in conjunction with UT.

yep. noticed the same.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 04:44:10 EDT »

Back several years ago ATT offered to place COWs around he stadium and the AD turned them down.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 04:48:11 EDT »

Interestingly, I typically have issues outside the stadium but once in, up until the around the time the teams leave the field after warmups I can get decent cell coverage.  After that - it flat sucks. 

EVERY other SEC stadium I have been to (all of them) have FAR, FAR SUPERIOR cell/WIFI coverage than Neyland, period. dot.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 05:14:12 EDT »

Interestingly, I typically have issues outside the stadium but once in, up until the around the time the teams leave the field after warmups I can get decent cell coverage.  After that - it flat sucks. 

EVERY other SEC stadium I have been to (all of them) have FAR, FAR SUPERIOR cell/WIFI coverage than Neyland, period. dot.

In fairness though, Knoxville is the biggest municipality for any SEC team save Lexington, Nashville, and Baton Rouge.  But ... come on!  Vandy and Kentucky will never have an issue on gameday.      Furthermore both cities are state capitols and likely have more municipal resources, perhaps.  As for Red Stick, we haven't played them down there since 2010, and I seriously doubt that counts and I'm not even sure you were there. 

finally, we have a lot of hills in East Tennessee and that no doubt adds to the problem.

However, having said that, I also have no doubt whatsoever that this problem can and should be fixed.  Heck, all they have to do is pipe in massive amounts of ground bandwidth with fiber optic cables and set up wireless routers.  That might be really expensive, IDK, but it can/could be done.  Outside the stadium is Knoxville's problem though.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 06:11:39 EDT »

In fairness though, Knoxville is the biggest municipality for any SEC team save Lexington, Nashville, and Baton Rouge.  But ... come on!  Vandy and Kentucky will never have an issue on gameday.      Furthermore both cities are state capitols and likely have more municipal resources, perhaps.  As for Red Stick, we haven't played them down there since 2010, and I seriously doubt that counts and I'm not even sure you were there. 

finally, we have a lot of hills in East Tennessee and that no doubt adds to the problem.

However, having said that, I also have no doubt whatsoever that this problem can and should be fixed.  Heck, all they have to do is pipe in massive amounts of ground bandwidth with fiber optic cables and set up wireless routers.  That might be really expensive, IDK, but it can/could be done.  Outside the stadium is Knoxville's problem though.
It is not the size of the town, but the number of people in and around the stadium. Florida, Alabama, LSU (haven't been there since the latest expansion) , Georgia, aTm all have stadiums similar in size (>95K) to Tennessee and they ALL have solved the problem.  Hart REFUSED to address the problem, after publicly promising he would.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:32 EDT »

It is not the size of the town, but the number of people in and around the stadium. Florida, Alabama, LSU (haven't been there since the latest expansion) , Georgia, aTm all have stadiums similar in size (>95K) to Tennessee and they ALL have solved the problem.  Hart REFUSED to address the problem, after publicly promising he would.

Yes as the 4th qtr comes to an end and the crowd starts to thin, one can magically use one's phone again.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:00 EDT »

It's still a factor, particularly if they haven't modified the infrastructure of the surrounding area.  Most other venues have ample bandwidth margin built in compared to Knoxville.

Regardless, the UTAD should absolutely do something about this. Neyland for many years was regarded as one of the premier stadiums in the country due to the game day atmosphere and size.  We have been surpassed multiple times now in size, but a relatively minor thing like game day bandwidth should not hurt the gameday experience for fans.

I am pretty sure it's not an issue in the luxury boxes.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: