VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 03:39:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's early for a Jones post mortem, but...  (Read 1767 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:41 EDT »

What I mean is, he's not fired yet.  Nevertheless I will share the following. I watched the entire game with my best friend from college in LA.  I had business there and stayed for the weekend.  As we watched, we noted that UT almost stopped bammer on 4th and goal.  Almost got a fumble.  Almost stopped them on the next drive.  (and for those last two, hey Kongbo.... ).  Almost scored an offensive touchdown.  Then we could look back...almost beat UF four times in a row. Almost beat bammer in 2015.  Almost beat Junior and Tamu last year. Almost went to the SECCG last year.  Almost beat OU in 2015.   And so forth.

Therefore his legacy might be....almost

Now...I can already anticipate that some of you will say "Almost?  He is a turrible coach".  I get that his gameday talents might be below the standard of "almost"  So if it helps, let's say that recruiting, organizational skills, and prior to this season motivational skills are all pretty good to excellent IMO.  Player development is at least adequate (there will be some disagreement on this, but I think the problem is not development but inability to bench non-performers, which is more of a game day thing), and game day skills pretty bad to godawful. 

Thus the "almost" could be "If only he had the in game part". 

So there you go...almost. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:43:22 EDT »

I thought at times the D played pretty good in the first half.  However, Bama seemed to play reserves mostly in the second half and as droner pointed out - outgained the VOLS...

600 yds to 100 yds !

That might be the worst performance in many, many years.  Net yards usually tells the story, and when you factor in Bama platooning, good grief, Charlie Brown,

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:13:29 EDT »

I go back to the Oklahoma game here at Neyland.  Feels like that's when the rising swell of hope and optimism turned with many fans.  What could've been..
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38:55 EDT »

Appalachian State didn't help. I knew after that game that something wasn't right. We "almost" lost that game. Miami stomped Appy the next week 45-10. Plus you had all the slow starts that the Vols were lucky enough to come back and win. Just not things well coached teams have happen to them regularly.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: