VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 09:52:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, we're #1.  (Read 2097 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:16:26 EST »

Last time this happened, we lost at Vandy two days later. Guess who we play next?

I don't think history repeats itself this time. But honestly, I could do without this bullseye at this point in the season. The last poll is the only one that matters.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:17:22 EST »

C'mon, enjoy being "the man"!

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:12 EST »

I took the family to the Texas game when we beat them and became #1. My son called me last night to ask if I remembered the last time we were #1 and I said yes, he said we didn't stay there long because we lost our next game to Vandy....."guess who we play next"? This team is different though....IMO by far the best team we've had in my lifetime. This team plays selflessly, has a good and deep bench..I'm not worried, Vandy is going DOWN!!!               
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:32:18 EST »

Last time this happened, we lost at Vandy two days later. Guess who we play next?

I don't think history repeats itself this time. But honestly, I could do without this bullseye at this point in the season. The last poll is the only one that matters.

That was a much better Vandy team. If we lose to this one we have no business at #1 anyway
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:42:10 EST »

@PatMurrayWBIR

"Every team in the top ten of the AP poll has at least two players on its roster that were ranked in the top 100 as prospects. Except Tennessee. Tennessee has zero."
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:10:57 EST »

I took the family to the Texas game when we beat them and became #1. My son called me last night to ask if I remembered the last time we were #1 and I said yes, he said we didn't stay there long because we lost our next game to Vandy....."guess who we play next"? This team is different though....IMO by far the best team we've had in my lifetime. This team plays selflessly, has a good and deep bench..I'm not worried, Vandy is going DOWN!!!               

I think we beat Memphis that particular year and were #1 after that game. The #1 ranking is meaningless at this point. A nice mid-season accomplishment, but that's it. Lots of work to be done. I hope the team knows this.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:24:58 EST »

Yep....beat Memphis to go to No.1 and the 48 hours lost to No.15 Vandy.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:40 EST »

Regular season doesn't matter. Just win enough games to make the dance and then don't screw the pooch and be one and done there. I worry about plateauing to soon and waiting until the dance to play a bad game. Happens all the time to teams.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:26:07 EST »

On PTI today Cornheiser said we are having a better season than Duke. Wilbon said he would bet on Duke going farther in the tourney. Both like Barnes though. That's the difference between a program like UT and Duke.  Let's see what Barnes does next year with this team. The Dukes of the world just reload. They are title contenders consistently. Can Barnes keep the Vol program an annual top 5 or 10 team like Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Michigan St. It will be hard.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: