VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 11:56:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something broke in that 2nd half against Arkansas  (Read 3926 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:47:51 EST »

...I don't know if they exposed a flaw in our defense or what, but we haven't looked right ever since. Huggins and Co. will beat us Saturday if we don't get it fixed. And the better SEC teams still to come will blow us out.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:32:16 EST »

...I don't know if they exposed a flaw in our defense or what, but we haven't looked right ever since. Huggins and Co. will beat us Saturday if we don't get it fixed. And the better SEC teams still to come will blow us out.

You and Creek are so negative. Schofield is in a slump. The team is. "We" led for 80-90% of the game. Relax.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:29:31 EST »

Just enjoy it!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:24:44 EST »

BDV, I agree, to an extent.  Our defense has been exposed, in that we are not stopping penetration very well. That, in turn, is causing breakdowns in other aspects at the defensive end.

I fully expect Barnes to remedy this, however.

Last night, in the second half, we were actually much better defensively when the high post defender got separation from the high post player (the player who was handing the ball off to the cutter).  The separation allowed the cutter's defender to through the screen rather than having to go over the top.  It also kept us from having to switch the screen, something which Vandy was exploiting.  I really don't understand why we didn't use this technique on every Vandy possession.

Teams will learn from this and attempt to attack it going forward.  It must be addressed or this team will lose some games that they shouldn't.  I trust that CRB will solve this problem and correct it for future games.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 03:57:21 EST »

You and Creek are so negative. Schofield is in a slump. The team is. "We" led for 80-90% of the game. Relax.

Stop bitching because someone has something to say. It's called a discussion forum for a reason.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 04:10:49 EST »

Stop bitching because someone has something to say. It's called a discussion forum for a reason.

Wow, we all Vols here man.  Easy...
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 04:13:42 EST »

Wow, we all Vols here man.  Easy...

You know, if he didn't want my feedback he shouldn't have dragged me into a conversation I wasn't a part of. Every time someone posts something that's anything more than a rah-rah cheerleading comment on here anymore, someone has to jump to call it negativity. It's kinda silly.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 04:29:22 EST »

I don't think anything is broke. I think Barnes is smart enough to make counter-adjustments to fix it. They will be fine. Doesn't mean they still won't lose a couple though.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 04:29:41 EST »

You know, if he didn't want my feedback he shouldn't have dragged me into a conversation I wasn't a part of. Every time someone posts something that's anything more than a rah-rah cheerleading comment on here anymore, someone has to jump to call it negativity. It's kinda silly.

I know what you're saying, we all have different perspectives.  I don't know Smokeys intentions but I know that anytime I personally allude to that I am intending it in a friendly tone.

BDV isn't wrong, that I will absolutely admit.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 04:54:20 EST »

IMO right now Pons is a liability.....Doesn't score much and his defense is lacking. Won't be surprised if his minutes are reduced. He is a freak athlete but it just hasn't clicked for him yet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:21:40 EST by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:52:07 EST »

I believe that you can expect Bob Huggins to employ some type of spread offense that utilizes dribble penetration on Saturday - at least until we show that we can stop it.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 07:26:29 EST »

Also, Admiral getting out of his current funk will help.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:48:37 EST »

Easy tiger. I thought the OP was a tad over wrought. I said Schofield is obviously in a slump as is the team. I also agree with TNPHIL that Pons is a net liability. There, see? I'm negative too but the sky is not falling imo. No rah rah. Just rational observation 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 10:53:44 EST »

We are going to lose 2-4 more regular season games. Glad one of them wasn't last night.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 05:29:11 EST »

It's difficult to maintain the intensity every game, and it is really hard to win 13 in a row. Vandy shot lights out especially first half - 70% from the three....and they normally are not that good from 3.

You can't ever count on blowing people out on the road. We're going to get everyone's best

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 09:08:15 EST »

It's difficult to maintain the intensity every game, and it is really hard to win 13 in a row. Vandy shot lights out especially first half - 70% from the three....and they normally are not that good from 3.

You can't ever count on blowing people out on the road. We're going to get everyone's best

I don't disagree with any of what you said.

Having said that, the shooting percentage of a team will increase as the quality of their shots increase.  Over the past several games, I don't think that our defensive effectiveness has been on par with what we saw through the first 14 games or so.  If we continue to give teams quality shots, they are going to continue to shoot better percentages.  I firmly believe that CRB will get this team's defensive focus back to where it was, but BDV's original post was spot on imo.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 01:56:47 EST »

Steals and blocks were still there and I like ponds putting full-court pressure. Most full-court pressure is just token but he ran up and down the court. As long as they don't put the game in his hands let him run the oppo down a little and see if they are in good shape.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: