VTTW Board Index
June 05, 2024, 06:25:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we drop this notion that officiating can never decide a game?  (Read 2417 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2019, 01:29:09 EST »

If officiating is THAT inconsequential, then why even have referees? Just let both teams self-officiate on the honor system.

Yes, we made some critical mistakes down the stretch that cost us the win. The refs also made some critical calls that cost us the win. Both of these things are true. Even with our mistakes, if that game is called with a straight whistle, we win. Period.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:08:25 EST »

This is a forum where UT fans express their opinions. I don't think that we will all ever agree on everything. That's OK with me and I try to respect the views of people who post here. If I have ever offended anyone here, I apologize.

I absolutely think that officials affect games. Maybe we can all agree on that?    Good officiating is a positive influence and poor officiating isn't. So yes, officiating can decide the outcome of a game - good or bad.

As to the LSU/UT game on Saturday, I personally do not think that there was a gross number of missed calls. Calls were missed, as will always occur because officials are human. There were also what I thought were questionable calls that were missed: no F2 on Reid and a possible hook-and-hold late on Grant (not sure about this one - I don't have a complete understanding of the rule I guess).

As I've stated elsewhere, I think that the disparity in fouls was largely due to the fact that LSU attacked the paint and not that officials were out to get UT.  For the majority of the game, UT was satisfied being on the perimeter and taking jump shots.

If Anthony Jordan is an LSU fan, he should never have been in this game. Its a bad look regardless of whether the fix was on or not.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:10:06 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 02:35:32 EST »

This is a forum where UT fans express their opinions. I don't think that we will all ever agree on everything. That's OK with me and I try to respect the views of people who post here. If I have ever offended anyone here, I apologize.

I absolutely think that officials affect games. Maybe we can all agree on that?    Good officiating is a positive influence and poor officiating isn't. So yes, officiating can decide the outcome of a game - good or bad.

As to the LSU/UT game on Saturday, I personally do not think that there was a gross number of missed calls. Calls were missed, as will always occur because officials are human. There were also what I thought were questionable calls that were missed: no F2 on Reid and a possible hook-and-hold late on Grant (not sure about this one - I don't have a complete understanding of the rule I guess).

As I've stated elsewhere, I think that the disparity in fouls was largely due to the fact that LSU attacked the paint and not that officials were out to get UT.  For the majority of the game, UT was satisfied being on the perimeter and taking jump shots.

If Anthony Jordan is an LSU fan, he should never have been in this game. Its a bad look regardless of whether the fix was on or not.

You didn't offend me. And my post wasn't directed only at you. You are far from the only one here who has said this. Hell, I'VE said it- whenever we played poorly and were undeserving of the win. When that happens, you won't hear me complaining about missed calls.

But we didn't play that badly on Saturday. Certainly well enough to win (mistakes aside). 22 of our 67 FGAs were from the perimeter. For LSU, it was 25/65. And yet, they took 31 FTs to our 16. So I don't buy that we didn't go inside. That FT disparity alone decided the game.

Was Jordan biased? Well, he blew his whistle more than the other two refs combined. He was in the middle of nearly every questionable call. He was the crew chief, and he allowed  Will Wade to berate his crew nonstop for 40 minutes. I've seen Coach K get T'd up for less. I can't claim to know what was in his head, but it sure isn't a good look.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 02:56:09 EST »

Glad to hear that I didn't offend, BDV. Sometimes I can come across that way (most always unintentional  ).

Except for stopping penetration on defense, I thought that we played a great game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=401082992

When I look at that shot chart, it looks to me like we played a game much more away from the bucket than LSU. That's not surprising, because it's part of what this team is.

Free throws definitely were the difference. I just think they were attacking us more offensively.

I completely agree with you on the Jordan situation.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 04:17:52 EST »

Of course no one was bitching in the first Vandy game when Williams shot 23 free throws by himself. What was the foul disparity in that game? Sometimes it is just the way the flow of the game goes. No two are alike. The Vandy rematch was definitely not the same as the first one.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:36 EST »

That is just it. We actually played a pretty solid game. Williams really played well defensively on Naz Green, totally took him out of the game. Offensively Grant didn't really get going till late, but he was fouled a lot in that game and many did not get called. We need Bowden to steop up, he has not done much in the last 2 games
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:46:49 EST »

Of course no one was bitching in the first Vandy game when Williams shot 23 free throws by himself. What was the foul disparity in that game? Sometimes it is just the way the flow of the game goes. No two are alike. The Vandy rematch was definitely not the same as the first one.

And you weren't bitching about how terrible a coach Rick Barnes is when we were winning 19 straight, but you sure did change your tune as soon as the Vols dropped a couple of games.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 09:06:13 EST »

And you weren't bitching about how terrible a coach Rick Barnes is when we were winning 19 straight, but you sure did change your tune as soon as the Vols dropped a couple of games.
**WARNING** Responding to a TROLL **WARNING**

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 10:33:25 EST »

I never once said he was a bad coach. I said he needs to show some good coaching moves. Have the Vols looked like a well-coached team since they got to the meat of a schedule?  They have looked lazy and make too many bone-headed moves that well coached teams don't make. Barnes is a good coach. They have lost 2 of their last three and haven't looked as well coached during that span. He let a back up guard own them and do layup drills for LSU.  I'm sorry if that truth escapes you.  If they can get it together and beat UK in Knoxville, they might do well in the tourney. We shall see.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 04:08:16 EST »

**WARNING** Responding to a TROLL **WARNING**

Sometimes I forget what my mama taught me about arguing with fools.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 03:58:56 EST »

DITTO

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: