VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:10:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some observations from last nights game vs Ole Miss  (Read 1642 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:56:38 EST »

- That was a phenomenal shot by Grant Williams at the end. He had 2 guys on him, and he was fouled (not called), made the shot anyway. He's the guy who has to have the ball in situations like that.
- Had he missed, I believe Bowden would have dunked it back through - he was right there
- Not really a smart idea by Admiral to set up for that charge and let the referee make the call. It was the correct call, but he could have easily been swayed by the crowd and called it a block. IMO you just play D and let him heave a 40 footer, no chance for a foul and he likely does not make it anyway. Glad it worked out though.
- Pons is improving. That little spin move for a layup he had was sweet. He needs to do more of that.
- Turner is a scorer - he has to keep shooting. There are some who think he is selfish, he isn't. He is a streaky shooter though. He was also very good on the last play by OM on defense.
- Hopefully Bowden is out of his funk. He made a big 2 pointer down the stretch
- We need Alexander to do more than he is doing. If he isn't, Fulkerson plays more, and Fulkerson can be turnover prone. He isn't very good in halfcourt sets, but better in transition.
- Some excellent coaching moves by Barnes - fouled late to catch up so that they could send OM to the bonus if needed. It was needed.
- The play at the end after Kermit was called for the technical. Throw down the line away from the basket. Even if they got it, they would have to go the entire court, for which there was no time.

Huge win. I feel like the UT-UK game saturday is for the SEC title. I think we will beat both Auburn and MSU, and I feel either Bama or FL (both away games for LSU) will beat LSU.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 04:18:45 EST »

Good points.

It was indeed an amazing play by Grant at the end.

I also feel like Saturday's UK game is for SEC POY betwen Grant and PJ Washington.   
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 05:24:28 EST »

Grant made a great move in clutch time.  He was double-teamed, but I didn't see a foul (watched it several times in slo-mo because a friend texted me that there was a foul that wasn't called - I just don't see it).  I completely agree that he has to get the ball in that situation.

As I said in the other thread, Admiral took a HUGE gamble.  Thankfully the official made the correct call.

Pons was abused last night on the dunk!  He seems to me to have regressed rather than improved.  I'm not seeing a lot from him lately (offensively or defensively).  He is obviously a freak athlete but he has a ways to go to be a consistent contributor for a top level D1 program - which is what we are this season.  We don't need him to be a prolific scorer, but he has to get better on the defensive end, I think.

We obviously need both Turner and Bowden to be scoring points.  We are going to always have a really difficult time winning against good teams if they are not on their offensive games.

Alexander was sick, supposedly, but even when well he is weak.  He needs to add strength to play at the next level.

Fulkerson plays harder than anyone on the team.  On defense, that means he is usually very effective (although sometimes he is out of position due to hustle plays).  On offense, I get sphincter contractions every time he touches the basketball (and I'd be willing to wager he does also).

I liked that Barnes had our players helping in gap defense to start the game - it really seemed to limit their penetration at the beginning of the game.   I felt that Kermit did a good job of adjusting during the first half to our defense and Ole Miss fought back.  After halftime, though, I think CRB made some really good coaching decisions.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:01:03 EST »

Grant made a great move in clutch time.  He was double-teamed, but I didn't see a foul (watched it several times in slo-mo because a friend texted me that there was a foul that wasn't called - I just don't see it).  I completely agree that he has to get the ball in that situation.

As I said in the other thread, Admiral took a HUGE gamble.  Thankfully the official made the correct call.

Pons was abused last night on the dunk!  He seems to me to have regressed rather than improved.  I'm not seeing a lot from him lately (offensively or defensively).  He is obviously a freak athlete but he has a ways to go to be a consistent contributor for a top level D1 program - which is what we are this season.  We don't need him to be a prolific scorer, but he has to get better on the defensive end, I think.

We obviously need both Turner and Bowden to be scoring points.  We are going to always have a really difficult time winning against good teams if they are not on their offensive games.

Alexander was sick, supposedly, but even when well he is weak.  He needs to add strength to play at the next level.

Fulkerson plays harder than anyone on the team.  On defense, that means he is usually very effective (although sometimes he is out of position due to hustle plays).  On offense, I get sphincter contractions every time he touches the basketball (and I'd be willing to wager he does also).

I liked that Barnes had our players helping in gap defense to start the game - it really seemed to limit their penetration at the beginning of the game.   I felt that Kermit did a good job of adjusting during the first half to our defense and Ole Miss fought back.  After halftime, though, I think CRB made some really good coaching decisions.

Pons is definitely lost defensively, but I see some sparks from him on offense. He needs to keep learning. He has a high ceiling

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:26:09 EST »

Pons is definitely lost defensively, but I see some sparks from him on offense. He needs to keep learning. He has a high ceiling
From an athletic standpoint, he could be a superstar.  I hope that he continues to improve and reaches is potential (which could be amazing).
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:28:52 EST »

Nice to get that win. A win over UK would be just what the doctor ordered. Vols will be ready for them.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: