VTTW Board Index
May 29, 2024, 02:38:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I’m telling you, it’s going to happen.  (Read 5555 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:45:50 EDT »

We’re about 6 weeks away from getting the band back together. I’d like to say we will have then reached peak stupid, but this is Tennessee football. There’s ALWAYS a higher peak.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/vols-need-to-fire-jeremy-pruitt-hire-phillip-fulmer/

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 04:56:04 EDT »

I fully expect it as well. I emailed my dad after the GaSt loss and detailed how it was going to go down. And said, this is just for the record when it all shakes out so there's a record that I predicted it.

I've never seen a fan base turn on a coach so quickly. Pruitt still has a lot of support, which is to be expected when you're two games into your second season. And Wes Rucker is working overtime to haul water for him. But the deck is completely stacked against him at this point. Even if UT routs Chattanooga, which should happen, it's staring a 1-6 start right in the face.

So the stage is set. Now it just has to play out. I don't think Fulmer hired Pruitt with the intent that he would fail, but I think it's working out in Fulmer's favor.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 05:03:14 EDT »

So what do you guys think should happen?  Stick it out with Pruitt?  Fire him now?  Fire him later?  I'm curious.

I know what's happened and we can hash and rehash how we've got to this point.. but we're here, what should be our next move?
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 05:15:13 EDT »

So what do you guys think should happen?  Stick it out with Pruitt?  Fire him now?  Fire him later?  I'm curious.

I know what's happened and we can hash and rehash how we've got to this point.. but we're here, what should be our next move?

If I were AD, I would have Pruitt on an incredibly short leash right now. If UT struggles to beat (or, heaven forfend, loses to) Chattanooga, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger. Take your pick on who is named interim coach -- Tee, Chaney, Ansley -- because I'm not sure it matters. I don't think anyone wants to fire a coach early in the season, so that gives Pruitt most of (if not all of) the rest of the season to redeem himself, assuming his team takes care of business against UTC. Forget beating teams like Georgia and Alabama; can Pruitt's team play competitively and with heart? Can they continue to show improvement? Can Pruitt hold the recruiting class together? But I also guarantee you I'd be quietly putting out feelers to guys who aren't currently coaching and are approachable. Everyone will assume that means someone like Urban Meyer...but I think Urban's a jerk and if he read some of the things I've said about him on Twitter, he wouldn't even take my call. Here's why: Pruitt has a long way to go to show that he can resurrect this program, and if there's a convincing case to be made that he can't turn it around, it's better to go ahead and cut losses ASAP and try to get the right guy in place. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but a team with a new coach usually makes its most improvement between year one and year two. Not only did Tennessee not improve during the off-season, this team actually regressed. That's almost unfathomable. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong. If Pruitt can beat Chattanooga, he gets at least another month to start proving me wrong. If his team doesn't just lay down and quit during that stretch of four ranked teams, he gets the rest of the season to prove me wrong.

More to the point of this thread, I don't think Fulmer should place himself in a coaching capacity under any circumstance. Not that I think he might not be a better option than Pruitt, even 11 years removed from his last coaching gig, but all it would do is divide the fan base. And if I were Fulmer, as badly as he wants redemption, I'd be thinking about the risk I'm placing on my legacy at the University of Tennessee by returning to the sideline.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 05:19:10 EDT »

I saw photos of Fulmer on the sidelines and Pruitts post game presser and Fulmer wasn't in a coat and tie like you see most ADs he was dressed in coaching attire..shoes, pants, shirt and ball cap. Some posters replying to those photos were posting that it's just a matter of time until Fulmer pulls a Barry Alvarez.

When Fulmer was hired and he hired Pruitt which he could keep under his thumb I posted that before it was over Fulmer would pull a Alvarez even if it was for just a game or 2....I posted it as a tongue and cheek post....sort of

Folks, if we were to fire Pruitt in year 2 what coach could we ever get down the road that saw a coach not even make it through his 2nd season? I could see it after year 3....but not year 2. Besides I don't think even Fulmer with his ego would take over a team like we have now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:22:26 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:25:48 EDT »

I saw photos of Fulmer on the sidelines and Pruitts post game presser and Fulmer wasn't in a coat and tie like you see most ADs he was dressed in coaching attire..shoes, pants, shirt and ball cap. Some posters replying to those photos were posting that it's just a matter of time until Fulmer pulls a Barry Alvarez.

When Fulmer was hired and he hired Pruitt which he could keep under his thumb I posted that before it was over Fulmer would pull a Alvarez even if it was for just a game or 2....I posted it as a tongue and cheek post....sort of

Folks, if we were to fire Pruitt in year 2 what coach could we ever get down the road that saw a coach not even make it through his 2nd season? I could see it after year 3....but not year 2. Besides I don't think even Fulmer with his ego would take over a team like we have now.

Agree. We've got to live with it through three years. And firing a coach during the season isn't a good move. We should not have fired Fulmer during the season. Not that we didn't need to make a change, but we should have waited until the end of the season. We keep this up and we may never leave the wilderness. And Fulmer needs to get in his office and stay there.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:33:07 EDT »

Folks, if we were to fire Pruitt in year 2 what coach could we ever get down the road that saw a coach not even make it through his 2nd season? I could see it after year 3....but not year 2.

Yep.  I know we're all upset, trust me I am too... but I honestly wonder.. as bad as this year has started out, what's worse in the long run?  Continued instability by shuffling the coach out every 2 or 3 years or suffering while Pruitt figures it out?  As miserable as I am, canning Pruitt during or after year 2 is going to do more harm than good I'm afraid.  Who are we gonna get after doing that?

I don't know if Pruitt's a bad coach yet... I do know he's not a good head coach (yet?). 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:34:48 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:41:17 EDT »

Agree. We've got to live with it through three years. And firing a coach during the season isn't a good move. We should not have fired Fulmer during the season. Not that we didn't need to make a change, but we should have waited until the end of the season. We keep this up and we may never leave the wilderness. And Fulmer needs to get in his office and stay there.

A article like this should not even be allowed at this point and Fulmer should take away their access to the program...Not a good look! But not sure that Fulmer doesn't like the attention. When Fulmer was hired as the asst to the President (or whatever is was) long before he became AD I knew something like this was going to happen.

As far as Fulmer staying in his office as you said....Ain't happening. I posted early on that before it's over Pruitt and Fulmer would have a big conflict at some point and I still believe it.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 06:44:03 EDT »

Good grief I hope not! Fulmer was fired because his W-L record was like a roller coaster and that was with him being the HC for 16 yrs. Everyone is forgetting that Pruitt has been here for a little over a year and took over a VERY BAD TEAM. If Fulmer takes over we deserve the inevitable laughing stock status that we will achieve because no coach will ever want to come here and attempt to fix things and trust me, Fulmer ain't going to do any better and then what?          
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:00:46 EDT »

Good grief I hope not! Fulmer was fired because his W-L record was like a roller coaster and that was with him being the HC for 16 yrs. Everyone is forgetting that Pruitt has been here for a little over a year and took over a VERY BAD TEAM. If Fulmer takes over we deserve the inevitable laughing stock status that we will achieve because no coach will ever want to come here and attempt to fix things and trust me, Fulmer ain't going to do any better and then what?          

His record was a roller coaster....the last 5-7 years.  It was pretty consistent prior to that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 08:10:06 EDT »

There are a lot of variables in that question. The biggest of which is Pruitt's buyout. Can we afford to pay it? Especially since we're still paying Butch for another two years? I'm not privy to all of UTAD finances, so I can't really answer that question. If the answer is no, then we're probably stuck with him for a while.

I was never onboard with the Pruitt hire from day one, so I'd fire him yesterday if money were no object.

Here's the ironic thing, and getting back to the subject of this thread: I think Fulmer taking over in mid-season (or anytime) would be an absolute disaster. But if I'm wrong, he's also probably the best-case scenario. Say he takes over after the bammer game (because you KNOW he's not coaching in that one), rights the ship and guides us to a 4-1 or 5-0 finish, maybe even a minor bowl game. The he coaches for another couple 8-ish win seasons at (and this is key) his current AD salary. Which, frankly, he owes the university because he's the one who hired Pruitt and signed off on this huge buyout in the first place. That would be the best outcome anyone can hope for. But as I said, expecting him to succeed now, 11 years after hanging up his whistle, is probably a pipe dream.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 08:25:26 EDT »

BDV, I thought of that also.  The Pruitt buyout could be handled if Fulmer coaches at his current salary.  It's like no extra money for the University, and Fulmer could keep the staff intact, for the most part, so no buyouts there either. 

Uh oh!  That might be workable.....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 08:31:50 EDT »

Fulmer underachieved every year after winning the NC! Heck he couldn't consistently beat Spurrier and now we have a ton of great coaches in the conference....he'd be a complete disaster. Like I said, Pruitt inherited a VERY bad team, first SEC winless team EVER! Give him 2 more years and let's see if he's a coach or not....if we continue jettisoning coaches every 2-3 years we'll never have a good team again.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:02 EDT »

Fulmer underachieved every year after winning the NC! Heck he couldn't consistently beat Spurrier and now we have a ton of great coaches in the conference....he'd be a complete disaster. Like I said, Pruitt inherited a VERY bad team, first SEC winless team EVER! Give him 2 more years and let's see if he's a coach or not....if we continue jettisoning coaches every 2-3 years we'll never have a good team again.

Hm, well, I think he turned the corner on SOS finally.  Last 4 were 2-2, with probably the best win of any of Fulmer's all too few against spurrier in the last year, which may have influenced SOS decision to leave.  Granted, in that stretch, there is no excuse for losing the 1999 game, but 2000 was at least a rebuilding year. 

Ah, 2001.  So much was lost in the game following the Florida game.   

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 08:41:54 EDT »

My cousin is on the newly stocked Board of Regents and she told me that there are grumblings that Cutcliffe will be fired soon at Duke.  If that happens, the Board has already given Phil permission to fire Jeremy and bring in Cut as a co-head coach with Phil.  Can you believe that?  Amazing..    Actually, I am totally joking, but my cousin really is on the Board - very proud of her.

Personally, I think we should give Pruitt this year and the next, as long as we don't slide into some horrific season.  And don't get me wrong, I think some of you are sugar coating what has happened here - this is the worst looking ball team to wear the Orange - Ever.  Ever.  I am not over-hyping or over reacting.  This has been an absolute zero type of start when looking at it with some historical perspective.  If we can limp to a 4 or 5 game season, give him one last season to show some promise - if we don't go bowling after the 2020 regular season, maybe do the painful coaching change operation yet one more fizzleing time.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 09:15:11 EDT »

Agreed. He inherited the worst team in UT history (i.e. ZERO SEC wins) and he's had 1 year to work with them and 1 recruiting class that he was able to select and target with purpose. He has so much youth that it's insane and needs at least 2 seasons to really right this ship. We are here because of knee-jerk and/or belated actions, we have to stop or we will be in a perpetual spin out!         
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:41 EDT »

There are also examples out there were schools have reaped benefits of being patient and enduring some painful years with non proven guy and it's worked out.  Clemson is the best example.  Heck, Kentucky is in a lot better spot than they used to be.  I guess the trick is to know when the guy ain't it and to reboot, or when the guy is worth suffering with.  I think it became obvious to everyone with Dooley and Butch, when they proved themselves to be clueless and both somewhat lost their respective teams in the end.  Idk, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but there seems to be much more substance there with Pruitt.  If you listen to some of his answers yesterday, he gets it.  And he's surrounded himself with big time assistants.  So maybe, just maybe it'll be different this time?   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 10:13:13 EDT »

There are also examples out there were schools have reaped benefits of being patient and enduring some painful years with non proven guy and it's worked out.  Clemson is the best example.  Heck, Kentucky is in a lot better spot than they used to be.  I guess the trick is to know when the guy ain't it and to reboot, or when the guy is worth suffering with.  I think it became obvious to everyone with Dooley and Butch, when they proved themselves to be clueless and both somewhat lost their respective teams in the end.  Idk, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but there seems to be much more substance there with Pruitt.  If you listen to some of his answers yesterday, he gets it.  And he's surrounded himself with big time assistants.  So maybe, just maybe it'll be different this time?   

I feel the same way. He doesn't seem like he's completely lost without a map

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 12:18:29 EDT »

In my opinion Phil should be shown the same door out that Pruitt will be shown, if it happens.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 04:27:52 EDT »

In my opinion Phil should be shown the same door out that Pruitt will be shown, if it happens.

Spoken like a true bammer.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 04:32:50 EDT »

My cousin is on the newly stocked Board of Regents and she told me that there are grumblings that Cutcliffe will be fired soon at Duke.  If that happens, the Board has already given Phil permission to fire Jeremy and bring in Cut as a co-head coach with Phil.  Can you believe that?  Amazing..    Actually, I am totally joking, but my cousin really is on the Board - very proud of her.

Personally, I think we should give Pruitt this year and the next, as long as we don't slide into some horrific season.  And don't get me wrong, I think some of you are sugar coating what has happened here - this is the worst looking ball team to wear the Orange - Ever.  Ever.  I am not over-hyping or over reacting.  This has been an absolute zero type of start when looking at it with some historical perspective.  If we can limp to a 4 or 5 game season, give him one last season to show some promise - if we don't go bowling after the 2020 regular season, maybe do the painful coaching change operation yet one more fizzleing time.

lol.  dook would never fire Cut, he's there best coach since SOS, maybe even better than SOS record-wise.

I agree that we look as bad as we ever have.  Probably the worst start in our history, or at any rate since Neyland arrived in the mid-20s.  But what I was saying in my mulligan thread is that if we continue to improve as much as we did from G State to BYU, then Pruitt might just be the right guy. I'm willing to give him that chance.

On a different topic, what are you working on these days?  Last I heard it was New Horizons, but that's pretty much shut down, no?  Do you have a new mission?

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 03:09:42 EDT »

I don't care if Nick Saban or Jesus himself was the UT coach right now.Until we get depth and a few more solid recruiting classes and the ones we do have right now get more game time experience,this is gonna happen.It's not pretty but it is what it is.
Is only the second game of his second season and folks are talking about firing him.
Pruitt was never a head coach before,he's gonna make mistakes obviously and hopefully get better and become a great coach but I do believe this team will get better as the season goes on.
Am looking forward to seeing how well they play against Fla. They may get blown out but they may surprise some folks.
Is way too early to write this team and this coach off just yet imo.
Go Vols!!

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 03:37:36 EDT »

AMEN Crockett ! I was telling my dentist yesterday (he's a UT grad) to calm down and remember that Pruitt inherited the only team in UT history to go winless in the SEC and he's had one year to work with that team and one hastily thrown together recruiting class and one planned class. He needs 2 more years at least to be able to show what kind of coach he will be.         
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 04:51:54 EDT »

AMEN Crockett ! I was telling my dentist yesterday (he's a UT grad) to calm down and remember that Pruitt inherited the only team in UT history to go winless in the SEC and he's had one year to work with that team and one hastily thrown together recruiting class and one planned class. He needs 2 more years at least to be able to show what kind of coach he will be.         
Yep! Having Bituli back on defense will help a lot and if Thompson somehow gets cleared and is able to come back will help too. The O-line needs to solidify and give JG confidence.I think he's just been shell shocked from all the hits from last year but his play will improve if the O-line comes together and if the running game continues to get better,taking the pressure off of him.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 06:01:08 EDT »

lol.  dook would never fire Cut, he's there best coach since SOS, maybe even better than SOS record-wise.

I agree that we look as bad as we ever have.  Probably the worst start in our history, or at any rate since Neyland arrived in the mid-20s.  But what I was saying in my mulligan thread is that if we continue to improve as much as we did from G State to BYU, then Pruitt might just be the right guy. I'm willing to give him that chance.

On a different topic, what are you working on these days?  Last I heard it was New Horizons, but that's pretty much shut down, no?  Do you have a new mission?

Yeah, I agree that Duke will probably never fire Cut - he was an incredible hire for them. 

I have been working on Parker Solar Probe for the last 5-6 years - full time since 2015 when the MESSENGER program ended.  We launched last year in August and just completed our 3rd close approach ("Encounter") to the Sun.  Our first 3 encounters have been at 0.17 AU to the sun.  On Dec 26 we are going to do a Venus fly by maneuver that will reduce our orbit even further - down to 0.13 AU.  We will keep doing a Venus flyby for every 3 Solar Encounters and further reduce our perihelion as the mission progresses.  We plan on operating the mission through 2025, as long as the spacecraft holds up.  The Lab just won the huge Dragonfly mission to Titan, so everyone here is excited about that.  I would love to work a little on that mission, obviously.  We are also partnering with JPL on the Europa Clipper mission, but I am not involved in it, at this time.  What has been going on at Marshall?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: