VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:52:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Braves fans, brace yourself for more 350' "infield flies"  (Read 1765 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:27:06 EDT »

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27739363/ump-center-2012-infield-fly-flap-work-braves-cardinals-nlds

How could any sports league be this tone-deaf? 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:59:43 EDT »

Hm, well it was 7 years ago, it was one play, and do you really think the exact situation would come up again?

I guess I don't understand what happened.  The infield fly rule is designed to protect runners, actually.  Did the runners on first and second attempt to tag up and then get thrown out?  The batter was out regarldess, right?  What harm was done to the Braves?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:01:51 EDT »

Hm, well it was 7 years ago, it was one play, and do you really think the exact situation would come up again?

I guess I don't understand what happened.  The infield fly rule is designed to protect runners, actually.  Did the runners on first and second attempt to tag up and then get thrown out?  The batter was out regarldess, right?  What harm was done to the Braves?

It should not have been called an infield fly. It was in the outfield.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:07:14 EDT »

It should not have been called an infield fly. It was in the outfield.

Ah.  So the player that let the ball drop, did not do it because of the infield fly rule, but because another player was approaching?   In which case, yeah, now I get it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 07:09:58 EDT »

Yeah, it was way outside the infield. So MLB can GTH.  Stupid decision, I agree.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp1NByUwVNs

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 07:17:40 EDT »

FWIW, this guy says (a), it doesn't matter if it's in the infield, just that an infielder is catching it, (b) that the determination of "ordinary effort" by the SS was correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLiA2-oIrY

I can still see room for dispute, but did not know it was the type of player and not actual location.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:55 EDT »

FWIW, this guy says (a), it doesn't matter if it's in the infield, just that an infielder is catching it, (b) that the determination of "ordinary effort" by the SS was correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLiA2-oIrY

I can still see room for dispute, but did not know it was the type of player and not actual location.

I'm not a BB official, but his argument is baloney.  How can you judge intent?  It looked like fair effort, but then he waived himself off because he thought his OF was coming in.  Now, he could have pretended to do that or maybe it was a legit waive off in his mind.  Regardless, there is absolutely ZERO obvious intent to let the ball fall.  the SS acted like he thought the LF was coming up.  Also, there is no way the LF could have thrown the runners out.  I've seen this happen many times and NOT get called - and I don't watch a whole lot of BB.  What a total screw job that was.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 09:04:22 EDT »

When a SS has to range 75’ behind the infield dirt line, that’s never “ordinary effort”.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 11:08:50 EDT »

I umpired for many years on the high school....American Legion....and small college level. Yes...the ball can be in the outfield, out of the infield area and be called the IFR. At times it can be a hard judgement call. I've been calling the bases and had the ball hit over my head looking straight up and I'd throw up my arm and call the IFR and when it came down it was caught 15 yards further towards the outfield than I thought it would. That ball call do funny things. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 05:59:32 EDT »

I'm not a BB official, but his argument is baloney.  How can you judge intent?  It looked like fair effort, but then he waived himself off because he thought his OF was coming in.  Now, he could have pretended to do that or maybe it was a legit waive off in his mind.  Regardless, there is absolutely ZERO obvious intent to let the ball fall.  the SS acted like he thought the LF was coming up.  Also, there is no way the LF could have thrown the runners out.  I've seen this happen many times and NOT get called - and I don't watch a whole lot of BB.  What a total screw job that was.

Yeah I think the judgment part of the call was questionable for sure.  Looked to me like a screwup by the SS.  Ump probably did blow it. What I didn't know was that the call goes by the player, not the location. Otherwise it was complete BS.  I don't think the ump blew it on purpose by any means though, just made a questionable call.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: