VTTW Board Index
June 11, 2024, 12:34:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any thoughts on the NCAA vote today  (Read 3604 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2019, 10:05:42 EDT »

To allow players to make money from their likeness, name, image, etc.

Personally I'm worried about the corruption that could result from this. I know that the current system is already corrupt, but openly allowing payment to players could potentially lead to some real problems, I'm afraid.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 10:08:01 EDT »

suxes, is a horrible idea

another step towards paying players openly, which is probably what will eventually happen

having said that, if they are going to implement it, they should require players to be very transparent about finances.  Kind of "go make money off your name, but you have to sign over to the NCAA the ability to  monitor all your finances". That would fly like a lead brick, but it's what I would argue for if I were on the committee.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:21:04 EDT »

I understand the idea, but it is opening a huge can of worms. How do they keep the scrubs happy? Will it be just another case of the rich getting richer in the end.? How will the star at ETSU market his likeness the same as a Bama star? And you know every player thinks they are all world.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:38:59 EDT »

I don't like it at all.  And "it's already happening anyway" isn't a valid reason to me.  All this will do is make it worse. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:50:08 EDT »

College football as we know it ended today.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 11:50:13 EDT »

Well, it probably means tha EA Sports will be back in the NCAA business, so there's that.

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 01:26:23 EDT »

Well, it probably means tha EA Sports will be back in the NCAA business, so there's that.

I know that's the obvious assumption, but will it really? I can't imagine the logistics of making it happen, let alone the $$. The courts have established that an artistic representation of a football player with the same skin color and jersey number constitutes the likeness of an actual player. Theoretically, EA Sports would have to license the likeness of ~70 players on 130 teams. That's a far cry from the Madden franchise, where EA is licensing the likeness of ~50 players on 32 teams + some free agents.

I'm sure all of this has already been discussed somewhere. I haven't read it but haven't looked for it. I just can't imagine the roadblocks that would now be thrown up after the O'Bannon case. Is it possible that we see an NCAA Football franchise that is more like the early college football video games — i.e., only a handful of the top programs are included? I can't imagine that would sell very well. But EA Sports had already stopped including the FCS teams by the time NCAA Football ended.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 03:47:30 EDT »

Most of you sound like a bunch of old church ladies griping about everything that is wrong with the world as they see it. Nothing (I repeat NOTHING) the NCAA did yesterday is going to change college sports. The NCAA was going to lose every case in federal court. Every time their is a change to NCAA I hear the same old tired arguments. The NCAA did not OK anything. They just tried to put off until 2021 change that they think could reduce the money flow to them.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 04:11:14 EDT »

My thoughts are that they are amateur athletes.  If they want to be paid, then they should be able to go to the NFL out of high school. However, if they don't make it on an NFL roster, then they SHOULDN'T be able to ever be allowed to go back to college on a scholarship. Don't you think that would cut the number of kids that think they are NFL ready down to a small amount? If they want to go to college after not making it on an NFL roster, it would have to be on their own dime. Makes sense to me. Like I said in the post before, all of these kids think they are all-world. 99% aren't.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 04:34:45 EDT »

I know that's the obvious assumption, but will it really? I can't imagine the logistics of making it happen, let alone the $$. The courts have established that an artistic representation of a football player with the same skin color and jersey number constitutes the likeness of an actual player. Theoretically, EA Sports would have to license the likeness of ~70 players on 130 teams. That's a far cry from the Madden franchise, where EA is licensing the likeness of ~50 players on 32 teams + some free agents.

I'm sure all of this has already been discussed somewhere. I haven't read it but haven't looked for it. I just can't imagine the roadblocks that would now be thrown up after the O'Bannon case. Is it possible that we see an NCAA Football franchise that is more like the early college football video games — i.e., only a handful of the top programs are included? I can't imagine that would sell very well. But EA Sports had already stopped including the FCS teams by the time NCAA Football ended.

They could pay the college kids a lot less.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 05:52:32 EDT »

Opens up a whole new can of worms.

Since they can now profit from their likeness, I expect that their scholarships will become taxable income, as well.   

And that's not a good thing. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 06:07:44 EDT »

Most of you sound like a bunch of old church ladies griping about everything that is wrong with the world as they see it. Nothing (I repeat NOTHING) the NCAA did yesterday is going to change college sports. The NCAA was going to lose every case in federal court. Every time their is a change to NCAA I hear the same old tired arguments. The NCAA did not OK anything. They just tried to put off until 2021 change that they think could reduce the money flow to them.

Yeah honestly what the NCAA did yesterday just seems like a stall tactic meant to appear to go with the flow of these states passing legislation putting this stuff into law, but you hear things like "within the framework of college blah blah blah".. yeah they didn't vote to change anything.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 06:42:47 EDT »

College football as we know it ended today.

yes. If they let anybody pay them. Then everybody will be able to pay them.

Boosters will go crazy.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 07:19:57 EDT »

yes. If they let anybody pay them. Then everybody will be able to pay them.

Boosters and shoe companies will go crazier than they already are.

Quote corrected. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 09:28:03 EDT »

I rarely gripe about anything the NCAA does, but this decision smells to high heaven. You are definitely swimming against the tide on this one. 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:28 EDT »

The NCAA took no steps to implement this as of now, at least as I understand it. They did lay the groundwork for future measures, though.

I sincerely hope that when the dust settles and all is done that there will be very little change. I fear that won't be the case. Here's to hoping for the best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: