VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:30:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: #FreeCadeMays update  (Read 2863 times)
10EC
« on: September 29, 2020, 03:03:19 EDT »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-tennessee/college/tennessee/football/vols-could-learn-fate-of-cade-mays-9-28-20

League Presidents to vote this week impacting all 3 transfers.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 10:39:26 EDT »

Sounds very positive 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 04:39:52 EDT »

Count me as one of the folks who hopes that these transfers are not approved.

While I would like to have Mays on our offensive line this year, I think that once this door is opened it will be impossible to close.  It was discussed on VQ today and someone suggested the following scenario as a possibility if undergrads can transfer in-conference without sitting a year:  Ainsley (insert name of any coach here) moves to Georgia to take a job and our entire defensive backfield (insert any position group here) follows him.  While that is a drastic example, it is possible and would lead to free-agency and recruiting of players from other conference schools, I would think.

A lot of people think that it is only a matter of time before the NCAA begins allowing a one-time-only transfer for any athlete without having to sit a year.  If that is allowed within the conference, however, we will be facing those players in future conference games.

Personally, I don't want this to happen to college football.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 08:07:28 EDT »

I think this will be a one time exception for the pandemic

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 12:43:23 EDT »

I don't think that door can be closed once it's open.

Why should the virus have any impact on this anyway?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:13:26 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 04:51:42 EDT »

I don't think that door can be closed once it's open.

Why should the virus have any impact on this anyway?

They have already extended everyone's eligibility and are likely going to bump up scholarship limits as a result.  Why not also approve 3 transfers?  That's a nit compared to the other changes, 

I think they could close the door easily by making it clear its a one time deal. They aren't going to keep the extended eligibility and/or scholarship limits either.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:51:32 EDT »

These three are not losing any eligibility by sitting this year.  That's already an advantage.  I don't see why that should be extended further.

Your views on how things work in the real world are just different from mine, I suppose.  In my world, once an exception is made everyone in the future points to that exception as a reason why their exception should be allowed.  I will be very, very surprised if these three are allowed to play this season and undergrad transfers in future seasons are denied.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 07:34:53 EDT »

JMO....If there is a vote this week I think it will be the rule going forward. I would not have a problem if they said the transferred player can't play against the team they transferred from for 1 season. KY played Auburn so that would have already happened for KY...Not sure where the kid at Ole Miss transferred from?

Also if it does ever pass there should be a transfer by date enforced...No transfers during Fall camp etc. Put in that the transfer has to be announced after the season and by the end of Feb. for example.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 08:45:33 EDT »

JMO....If there is a vote this week I think it will be the rule going forward. I would not have a problem if they said the transferred player can't play against the team they transferred from for 1 season. KY played Auburn so that would have already happened for KY...Not sure where the kid at Ole Miss transferred from?

Also if it does ever pass there should be a transfer by date enforced...No transfers during Fall camp etc. Put in that the transfer has to be announced after the season and by the end of Feb. for example.

I would 100% agree that if they allow transfers there should be rules and guidelines on when and how those can occur. 

As I've said previously, my own personal opinion is that all undergrad transfers should ALL be subject to sitting a year.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 09:44:29 EDT »

I would 100% agree that if they allow transfers there should be rules and guidelines on when and how those can occur. 

As I've said previously, my own personal opinion is that all undergrad transfers should ALL be subject to sitting a year.

I agree 100% on undergrads...Do not want free agency. I'm not a fan of grad transfers either.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 09:54:10 EDT »

I agree 100% on undergrads...Do not want free agency. I'm not a fan of grad transfers either.
Grads is where we may disagree
Yes, I know there are games played
However, if a student athlete has finished his degree then IMO he or she has satisfied their contract and should be free to transfer to another school if he or she chooses
YMMV

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 02:15:54 EDT »

I don't love grads being able to transfer but think that a legitimate argument can be made for that much more easily than for undergrads.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:41:49 EDT »

Jeff I can understand a general concern, but going back to your specific concern - the whole Tennessee defensive backfield transfering - I just don't see it being a concern.  And if it is, it could benefit the Vols as much as help them.  Georgia franklly has had more transfere than just about any other SEC team the last few years. I know that was just a random example you threw out, but I don't see wholesale transfers in those numbers.

I suppose from a contractural pov i agree that undergrads should sit.  There needs to be some limitation.  However as you are well aware that rule has been widely over turned by the NCAA already, particularly in cases of high profile QBs. 

But I am going to continue to disagree that this sets an "unoverturnable" precedent.

You are discounting something very obvious I think.  This is not a normal time. Anyone in the future trying to point back to now, the response is "there was a pandemic".  That will work for the free year of extra eligibility.  That will work for bumping up scholarship limits. I see no reason it would not work for transfers.  It's a helluva answer, quite frankly.  And that is in fact how the real world works from my knothole (since you seem to imply that I am unfamiliar with such, lol).

I will confidently predict that the SEC will re-establish this limit, and there will not be any fuss over it from the schools. 

However, I do believe it might be OBE by the changes the NCAA is implemnting.  In the bigger picture, the NCAA is using the relaxed eligibility/transfer rules as a sop to athletes demanding to be paid.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 08:42:19 EDT »

Bandit, first and foremost I never intended to downplay your opinion or imply that you were seeing things "through a knothole".  I respect your right to your view, even though I have serious concerns that it will prove accurate.  I actually hope that you are correct and I am wrong about future transfers within the conference.  I simply meant that we have different views of this.

My example was extreme - it was simply a possibility that I read earlier that day on VQ.  Let me propose a more plausible example:  (1) UT develops a very good QB.  (2) That player spends a couple of years playing here and his reputation is very good.  (3) One of the other power teams in the SEC is a good QB short of being a serious title contender for year three of this player's tenure while we are not realistically in play for a national title.  (4) That player decides to transfer for his junior and senior seasons and plays immediately.  Personally, I think that things along this line would be commonplace if undergrads are given free reign to transfer within the conference.

UGA may be experiencing transfers because they have an abundance of talent - talent that doesn't want to sit the pine.  I'm very hopeful that very soon UT will be back in that position, which could very well lead to our transfer numbers increasing to current UGA levels.

I realize that the NCAA is likely to start handing out transfers without requiring those players to sit out a year.  When and if that happens, those issues will need to be addressed.  From what little I've read it seems that some other conferences have not, in the past, been in favor of immediate eligibility for in-conference transfers.  Conferences would always have the option to limit those transfers within their own league.  Again, that would be largely dictated by the processes put in place by conferences at that time.  The SEC has now preemptively stuck its foot in the door for allowing them in the future, imo.

Now, for more pressing matters:  have a great weekend and GO BIG ORANGE!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:44:51 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: