VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 08:59:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is Going On: Football Coach Edition  (Read 2008 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2020, 01:25:47 EST »

Doug Mathews was adamant Sunday that Pruitt would return. Yesterday Brent Hubbs seemed confused as to what's transpiring.

The above is no surprise as Fulmer clearly doesn't want to make a move. His core competencies are bluster and stubbornness.

My theory is the powers that be want a change, but don't want to switch ADs too, which is what it would take. If this is correct we have wasted the easiest time for a clandestine two week coaching search ever.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:50:53 EST »

My belief is that today or tomorrow poot enters the portal

A few notes:
I believe that he is aware of the booster/fan base issues
I believe that there were/are demands placed upon him that he was not agreeable to
I have heard that the most powerful person in college football is the broker

You average murder mystery writer has no understanding of the level of intrigue  relative to the Hill at the moment

BTW, a "friend" and a member of the staff departed this week. 
Were there any pronouncements about a search?
While there are a few rumours of a potential replacement (mostly related to the only OL coach besides Pittman that Cheney has had), nothing to reach the level of previous staff changes (even as there was for the DL in-season)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 01:53:01 EST »

Yep. And with AU now having made their hire, there’s really no competition right now. We wouldn’t have to get in a bidding war for anyone. But instead we’ll wait another year, when Michigan, Texas, Penn State, and maybe LSU will all be in the market.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:55:20 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:01:07 EST »

BTW, Gundy's season is over and he was looking for a 3rd feeding at the trough - so he is rooting for a coaching change ...
(BTW, the entire Tylan Wallace deal was bizarre)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 03:20:25 EST »

My belief is that today or tomorrow poot enters the portal

A few notes:
I believe that he is aware of the booster/fan base issues
I believe that there were/are demands placed upon him that he was not agreeable to
I have heard that the most powerful person in college football is the broker

You average murder mystery writer has no understanding of the level of intrigue  relative to the Hill at the moment

BTW, a "friend" and a member of the staff departed this week. 
Were there any pronouncements about a search?
While there are a few rumours of a potential replacement (mostly related to the only OL coach besides Pittman that Cheney has had), nothing to reach the level of previous staff changes (even as there was for the DL in-season)

I would be quite pleased if this is how it goes down. If all this is handled on the down-low it would be most un-UT-like.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 04:08:55 EST »

I will play along --- I think that HC Pruitt will be retained. The University President and BOT will allow AD Fulmer to do the job he was hired for and rely on him for any decision to be made. I am OK with this because we can’t continue to give a coach 3 years to fix a 12 year old problem. The recruiting infractions will turn out to be lower level in nature with an internal review taking place to determine the how’s and why’s it got to the media before the investigation was completed.

Since I have already stuck my neck out and obviously on a roll – I’ll continue:

- After the Auburn bowl game, they will not retain Kevin Steele due to obvious reasons with their new coach. He will be brought over to coach LBs with an Asst. HC title for his salary.

- Steele will bring with him Wesley McGriff to coach DBs.

- Bo Davis will not come to Knoxville and instead will move to Baton Rouge to coach the DLine at his alma mater.

- Ty Simpson will commit to UT after the February signing date and be the leader in having more 2022 in-state prospects come to Knoxville.

- HC Pruitt and staff will go on to sign 8 of the top10 players in the state for 2022.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 06:14:31 EST »

I will play along --- I think that HC Pruitt will be retained. The University President and BOT will allow AD Fulmer to do the job he was hired for and rely on him for any decision to be made. I am OK with this because we can’t continue to give a coach 3 years to fix a 12 year old problem. The recruiting infractions will turn out to be lower level in nature with an internal review taking place to determine the how’s and why’s it got to the media before the investigation was completed.

Since I have already stuck my neck out and obviously on a roll – I’ll continue:

- After the Auburn bowl game, they will not retain Kevin Steele due to obvious reasons with their new coach. He will be brought over to coach LBs with an Asst. HC title for his salary.

- Steele will bring with him Wesley McGriff to coach DBs.

- Bo Davis will not come to Knoxville and instead will move to Baton Rouge to coach the DLine at his alma mater.

- Ty Simpson will commit to UT after the February signing date and be the leader in having more 2022 in-state prospects come to Knoxville.

- HC Pruitt and staff will go on to sign 8 of the top10 players in the state for 2022.

I sorta agree with the 3 year thing. Given the state of this program, I wouldn’t expect a new coach to compete for division/league titles until year 4 or 5.

That said, there has to be some upward trajectory by year 3. When you return 18 starters from an 8 win team (and bring in a couple impact transfers), you have to expect more than this.

If it were up to me, I’d let Pruitt go. But really, I don’t care. The apathy has set in, and I’ve resigned myself to more shizzlety football for the foreseeable future, new coach or not. Because let’s face it- even if we fire Pruitt, we’re not going to get the hire right. We’re UT, and that’s not what we do.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:29 EST »

I don't really even know who I'd want to if Pruitt is let go.  It's weird that I haven't even devoted very much thought to it.  None of the names I've seen really excite me.  And keeping JP most definitely doesn't excite me.  Blah.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 08:18:12 EST »

BTW, Gundy's season is over and he was looking for a 3rd feeding at the trough - so he is rooting for a coaching change ...
(BTW, the entire Tylan Wallace deal was bizarre)

It was reported in a article I read that the plan going into the game Wallace was going to play the first half and not the second....The writer didn't really buy that and I don't either...Wallace is projected to be one of the top WR's taken in the draft....IMO, he saw the Miami QB who could have gone to the draft but announced he was coming back next season go down with a knee injury and said screw it...I'm done.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 09:28:05 EST »

It was reported in a article I read that the plan going into the game Wallace was going to play the first half and not the second....The writer didn't really buy that and I don't either...Wallace is projected to be one of the top WR's taken in the draft....IMO, he saw the Miami QB who could have gone to the draft but announced he was coming back next season go down with a knee injury and said screw it...I'm done.

Quite frankly, I don't blame any of them. Yes, I know that you should want to support the team but these bowl games are meaningless. Especially to someone who is going to get paid well in the pros.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 10:30:48 EST »

That's my reading of the situation

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 05:05:23 EST »

Starting out the year, we won a bowl game against a good IU team.. Had one of the longest winning streaks in Div1 after the first 2 games extending from last year, after a terrible start last year..Covid obviously screwed everything up in the spring and the fall and then Guaranturnover showed his ugly head in the 2nd half of the jaw jaw game and the shizzle continued to hit the fan after that.. With that said, hopefully with Bailey as qb and a decent recruiting class and most of our starters returning and a few coaching changes,next year may be the turning point. With what little there is available for options of another HC, I am ok with giving JP one more year to right the ship but one year is it.. Either get it done next year or get out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: