VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 09:58:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huepel, really?  (Read 3872 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2021, 02:39:05 EST »

Jeesh!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:27:30 EST »

Jeesh!
leaks such as this one are not the norm for DW hires
I suspect that this a screen, smoke, one each

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:36:05 EST »

Yep...Do not see it.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 03:51:23 EST »

I will continue to post the following at least once an hour.

"If we're going to do something this dumb just give Jarod Mayo $3 million/year and call it done."

Please note I am not advocating Mayo taking over, just saying I would genuinely prefer him to the terrible alternatives dropped.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:53:54 EST »

That would be pretty cold blooded for an AD to bolt and take his coach with him on the way out the door.

I'm pretty meh about JH. We could do worse. Maybe we could do better, but maybe not. I will say that I feel better about White making this type of hire than I would with Fulmer. Or Currie. Or Hart. Or Hamilton...

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 04:51:22 EST »

I read that some UT players started following Huepel on twitter tonight?

It would be so UT for White to go on a nationwide search and hire a coach that worked 20 feet down the hall at UCF. I said the day they announced the White hire he'd probably bring his football coach with him. I was kidding....sort of.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 05:04:00 EST »

I think this was all started by a video from VolQuest earlier tonight. I’m wondering if Brent Hubbs and Austin Price weren’t fed garbage and told that it was caviar.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:05 EST »

I think this was all started by a video from VolQuest earlier tonight. I’m wondering if Brent Hubbs and Austin Price weren’t fed garbage and told that it was caviar.
Brent has said that discussions are continuing tonight
BTW, KNS is in on it now as well

I had heard the name before Brent and AP's video
Brent is extremely conservative on breaking news vs rumours so for he and AP to go "live" tonight and break the story was, in itself, news

I do not believe it a done deal but I stand by my earlier statement that a new coach will be announced tomorrow

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 05:24:17 EST »

I agree that VQ does not report things without verification. I think it could be Heupel, but believe that if that's the case we've had multiple coaches turn us down, which is really disheartening.

I don't think anyone was reporting it until VQ broke the news.

I, too, believe that a coach is very likely to be named tomorrow. I'm just not sold on the idea that it will be Heupel (maybe because I was hoping we could do much better, especially since it appears that the administrstion was willing to pony up some significant money this time around).
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 01:03:46 EST »

Meh, if true.

As expected, I'd go back and take some of the first names we we're hearing in a heartbeat even though I was meh about them then!   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 01:24:23 EST »

Chadwell (not crazy about), Napier (like), and Elliott (light on HC experience) would be preferable. I'd even take Briles the younger.

I think not having someone who can easily explain the failures of earlier regimes hurts White's ability to sell the job. Someone familiar with each situation could allay fears about knee-jerk reactions from fans and admin.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:10:03 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 01:29:11 EST »

Hyams is reporting that White canceled an 8:00 am meeting with the football team.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 01:46:51 EST »

UT plane en route to Orlando.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 02:13:30 EST »

One of my daughters assistant principles is best friends with Tee.  He told her that Tee believed it would be Heupel as the new HC.....we will see if this is a smoke screen or true soon I expect

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 04:16:42 EST »

If it is Huepel, why do we keep hiring toddlers for big boy positions. What makes folks think an AAC coach and AD have what it takes for the SEC. They had one real good year. Having a competitive team in the AAC is not the same as having one in the SEC. What has Huepel done? Took over an undefeated UCF Scott Frost team and what? We're not even sure he is a good coach, much less one who can take over a dumpster fire in Knoxville. Really. If this is the best the boosters can do maybe we need to fire the boosters. What are they doing for us? If they have any say in this, then they are just as lame as everyone else in the athletic department. All of you proclaiming White a great hire, how is that looking to you know? Crazy stuff huh. If Heupel is the choice!

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 04:23:29 EST »

If it is Huepel, why do we keep hiring toddlers for big boy positions. What makes folks think an AAC coach and AD have what it takes for the SEC. They had one real good year. Having a competitive team in the AAC is not the same as having one in the SEC. What has Huepel done? Took over an undefeated UCF Scott Frost team and what? We're not even sure he is a good coach, much less one who can take over a dumpster fire in Knoxville. Really. If this is the best the boosters can do maybe we need to fire the boosters. What are they doing for us? If they have any say in this, then they are just as lame as everyone else in the athletic department. All of you proclaiming White a great hire, how is that looking to you know? Crazy stuff huh. If Heupel is the choice!
And went UNDEFEATED his first year
Your point?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 04:36:18 EST »

And went UNDEFEATED his first year
Your point?
In the AAC.  You already on his bandwagon? Is he who you want? Guess it doesn't matter now. He was 6-4 last year. 1-2 in Bowl games. Sounds awesome. See below.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:43:43 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 04:39:14 EST »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30787522/sources-ucf-josh-heupel-tennessee-volunteers-coach

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 04:47:51 EST »

In the AAC.  You already on his bandwagon? Is he who you want? Guess it doesn't matter now. He was 6-4 last year. 1-2 in Bowl games. Sounds awesome. See below.
Brent Hubbs:
"In his two-year stint as the offensive coordinator at Missouri, Heupel’s offense averaged 31 points (and more than 500 yards) per game. In his first year at Central Florida in 2018, the Golden Knights averaged 43 points a game. In 2019, it was again 43 points a game. In 2020, the scoring averaged dipped to 42.2 points a game.

In three seasons at Central Florida, Heupel’s teams scored below 30 points just three times."

The KEY for Heupel needs a STRONG DC Coordinator and staff
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:49:24 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 05:19:02 EST »

"In his two-year stint as the offensive coordinator at Missouri, Heupel’s offense averaged 31 points (and more than 500 yards) per game. In his first year at Central Florida in 2018, the Golden Knights averaged 43 points a game. In 2019, it was again 43 points a game. In 2020, the scoring averaged dipped to 42.2 points a game.

In three seasons at Central Florida, Heupel’s teams scored below 30 points just three times."

The KEY for Heupel needs a STRONG DC Coordinator and staff

For sure. Does no good to score 42.2 points a let the other team score 50. He lost 4 games in 2020. Will he average 42.2 in the SEC at Tennessee? Do you have any doubts? Wanna bet he never averages 42.2 in the SEC? What is your point here? He is a great hire? We will see.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 05:40:21 EST »

I guess beating Cincy, Memphis and Tulsa  means you can beat UF, UGa and Bama. Oh wait, they lost to all of them last year. And we wonder why we have this dumpster fire? They were 4th in the AAC behind Cincy, Tulsa and Memphis.  Got killed by BYU in the bowl game. Yep. Heupel is our guy. Why not?

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 05:53:44 EST »

I still hope I am wrong and Heupel ends up beating all of Saban's records?

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 06:01:51 EST »

I guess beating Cincy, Memphis and Tulsa  means you can beat UF, UGa and Bama. Oh wait, they lost to all of them last year. And we wonder why we have this dumpster fire? They were 4th in the AAC behind Cincy, Tulsa and Memphis.  Got killed by BYU in the bowl game. Yep. Heupel is our guy. Why not?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 06:22:19 EST »

You go from, Heupel really? To now acting like he is the hire of the century though I just said nothing that is not true. Take your meds already. Which is it? Is he a great hire or not? If he is 3 years from now I will acknowledge it. Hope he overachieves like nobody else.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:27:30 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 06:24:59 EST »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: