VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:33:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cord cutters... I may finally be ready to join you...  (Read 3068 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2021, 04:26:49 EST »

I think I'm finally reaching the point where DirecTV is just taking it too far with their price hikes and the value it provides, considering we also have several streaming services like Netflix and Disney+.

I know I've seen posts here about it in the past about people's experiences with different plans... some have tried them and some didn't like them.  What is anyone's thoughts on Youtube TV and Hulu?  Or, any others I should consider?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 04:35:49 EST »

I have had similar thoughts on DishTV for years.  The key is how do you get ESPN and SEC Network from streaming servieces.  If I can nail down those two, I have the rest figured out I think.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:41:34 EST »

I have had similar thoughts on DishTV for years.  The key is how do you get ESPN and SEC Network from streaming services.  If I can nail down those two, I have the rest figured out I think.

I'm comparing youtube tv and hulu now... both have SECN and ESPN, I'm almost positive.

And I realize these services are and will continue to hike their prices as well...  still, I'm paying WAY too much for Direct.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:50:31 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:23:05 EST »

I didn't realize Hulu had the SECN. Good to know. Unless you pay an arm and leg for cable to get everything you want , it is not cost affective to stay on cable. Fortunately all my housing and utilities are paid by my employer.  Pretty soon even "free tv" will cost. Do you have any idea the cheapest way to get SECN up here in the great white north.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:28:50 EST »

I didn't realize Hulu had the SECN. Good to know. Unless you pay an arm and leg for cable to get everything you want , it is not cost affective to stay on cable. Fortunately all my housing and utilities are paid by my employer.  Pretty soon even "free tv" will cost. Do you have any idea the cheapest way to get SECN up here in the great white north.

If you go to these Streaming service websites I think you can punch in your address and it will show you what's available to you.  SECN seems to be on all of them, for me.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 06:59:43 EST »

I tried all of them, and Hulu is the one I settled on. It seems to be the best value of the bunch, imo.

The cost is just becoming outrageous and as more and more people dump cable/satellite, it'll continue to go up until the price is comparable to where satellite is now. I'm still hoping for the day when ESPN decides to offer a stand-alone streaming service. I'd pay $20/mo. just for ESPN so that I don't have to pay $60/mo. for a bunch of stuff I don't watch just to have ESPN/SECN.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 07:16:01 EST »

I tried all of them, and Hulu is the one I settled on. It seems to be the best value of the bunch, imo.

The cost is just becoming outrageous and as more and more people dump cable/satellite, it'll continue to go up until the price is comparable to where satellite is now. I'm still hoping for the day when ESPN decides to offer a stand-alone streaming service. I'd pay $20/mo. just for ESPN so that I don't have to pay $60/mo. for a bunch of stuff I don't watch just to have ESPN/SECN.

Have you not heard of ESPN+? I think it’s 5.99 a month.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 08:09:42 EST »

I have youtubeTV and it has SECNetwork, but not the altchannel.  You would need ESPN+ for that.  YTV is pretty good and basically has an unlimited recording service that works pretty well.  It records all Vols hoops for me, for example.  It has all the basic cable channels except for a Weather channel, I suppose.  All local channels, tons of news channels (barf), MTV, TBS, TNT, TCM (YEAH!) AMC, ect.  Tons of sports networks including NFL network, all the ESPN channels, ACC, big 10, atc.  FOX, CBS, GOLF, blah, blah, blah.  I like to meditate with a bowling tourney on in the background from time to time.  Since I am a Prime member (which I am debating shizzlecanning) I have a firestick and can access YTV through the firestick and can also access Prime video and Netflix.  We also have the Hulu, Disney, ESPN+ bundle which is a great deal.  Prime and probably Hulu, offers decent deals to get pay channels a la cart if you want for an extra charge per month ($10 typically) HBO, Skinemax, SHOTIME, ect.  If you get one of those, you can basically stream their whole library of stuff.  It's probably better just to try HBOmax if you are thinking of adding HBO. 

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:26:42 EST »

Had YTTV, went to Hulu when YTTV went to $65,back to YTTV because far more connection problems with Hulu Live (zero with YTTV), plus the end game--inability to fast forward/rewind for many Hulu Live programs.  I don't have a single complaint about YTTV other than price.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 08:43:46 EST »

I use morestreamsnow.com

It's $25ish/month, literally 1000's of channels to choose from, including HBO/showtime/ect, the ABC/NBC/CBS line up from every city across the US, every offering of ESPN and SECN/other conference programs.

Between more streams and Youtube, I'll never go back to cable

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 09:12:52 EST »

Really liked what I was reading about Hulu so I started a free trial.  Logged into it from my home office Roku TV and immediately got an error.  Apparently Hulu doesn't jive with this new Tmobile Home Internet I'm also trying for the first time today (which is a major reason I'm now able to even consider cutting the cord).  Hulu sees it as a "mobile connection".  So idk, may give YTTV a try and see if that works.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 09:27:35 EST »

I have YTTV, Disney+, Netflix and Britbox. My bill for these, even including $87/month for internet (I have only one real option for high speed internet) is still below what I was paying just for DIrecTV. I don’t ever want to go back.

I tried Hulu, but liked YTTV better (I record every NCAA football and basketball game that’s on - every one). The unlimited DVR is just one of the great features. You could record every episode of every show and go back and watch (I think they delete after 9 months?).

Good luck.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:59 EST »

I have YTTV, Disney+, Netflix and Britbox. My bill for these, even including $87/month for internet (I have only one real option for high speed internet) is still below what I was paying just for DIrecTV. I don’t ever want to go back.

I tried Hulu, but liked YTTV better (I record every NCAA football and basketball game that’s on - every one). The unlimited DVR is just one of the great features. You could record every episode of every show and go back and watch (I think they delete after 9 months?).

Good luck.
Britbox required here as a result of spending 2+ years i the UK.  The wife loves a LOT of Brit shows

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 11:25:38 EST »

I went all cheap when I cut the cord - just an antennae.  We do have Netflix and Disney+ for the grandkids.  We also have Amazon Prime.  For sports it is mostly just OTA and there are some internet options for live sports but they are sketchy sometimes.  I'm content to wait for someone to upload the games on Youtube.  I have learned that approach really helps my blood pressure!  I do miss a DVR to skip commercials though.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 02:43:22 EST »

Have you not heard of ESPN+? I think it’s 5.99 a month.

Of course I've heard of it, but it's not a substitute for the ESPN cable network.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 03:33:31 EST »

Britbox has some really good content.

If I’m not mistaken, anything on the ESPN network can also be watched through ESPN+ app. If it’s on the app it can be streamed to a TV using a Chromecast or Firestick.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 03:37:51 EST »

So far I really like the presentation/guide of Hulu. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 06:50:39 EST »

So far I really like the presentation/guide of Hulu. 

That's what I like about it most. Still not quite as convenient as cable or satellite, but a lot closer than most of the other streaming services. I started with Sling and it drove me nuts trying to navigate to what I wanted to watch. PSVue might've been even worse.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 07:00:22 EST »

I think I'm finally reaching the point where DirecTV is just taking it too far with their price hikes and the value it provides, considering we also have several streaming services like Netflix and Disney+.

I know I've seen posts here about it in the past about people's experiences with different plans... some have tried them and some didn't like them.  What is anyone's thoughts on Youtube TV and Hulu?  Or, any others I should consider?
We use YouTube TV and have been very happy with it.  If you like to record and watch later,  they have unlimited shows and keep it 9 months.   I pick up a couple of others for special shows a couple times a year... and drop after my series ends.. like Starz.   But we get all we want in YT TV.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 07:00:50 EST »

I have had similar thoughts on DishTV for years.  The key is how do you get ESPN and SEC Network from streaming servieces.  If I can nail down those two, I have the rest figured out I think.
You tube TV has ESPN and SEC

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 09:01:19 EST »

We use YouTube TV and have been very happy with it.  If you like to record and watch later,  they have unlimited shows and keep it 9 months.   I pick up a couple of others for special shows a couple times a year... and drop after my series ends.. like Starz.   But we get all we want in YT TV.

Does YT TV have any sort of proper guide at all?  Or is it pretty much the look and feel of youtube itself?
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 09:08:25 EST »

If you don't have high speed internet at a reasonable cost, streaming is a no go. And you better not have a data cap if you want 4K HDTV.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 09:38:04 EST »

I'm an intermittent Sling user. This year I think I turned it on for two months. When football is better I'll turn it on all fall.

For easy on/off it's terrific. Also, the only reason I have it is football.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 10:05:13 EST »

If you don't have high speed internet at a reasonable cost, streaming is a no go. And you better not have a data cap if you want 4K HDTV.

Right... I've only recently been able to get what I consider stream-capable internet speeds and it's really opened up some possibilities.  We're gonna do the Hulu free trial through the weekend and if that goes well I'm gonna tell DirecTV next week that I'm no longer their customer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: