VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 08:13:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC Expansion with Sooners and Horns  (Read 4700 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 06:36:49 EDT »

This is way further along than was being put out yesterday.  It's pretty much done, and it wouldn't be to this point unless Sankey knew the votes are there to make it happen. 

The Superconference concept is here.  The SEC isn't going to stop with 18, look for a couple more schools to be added, too. 

And the ACC and Bigcan'tcountconference will follow suit. 

The ACC better gird their loins. You know the BIG has their eyes on ND, and the SEC has their eyes on several others.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 07:42:53 EDT »

Reports
... been in the works for 6 months
... A&M kept out until last week
... $73M buyout (per school) to leave the BIG12 in 2022
... SEC office will pay $100M of the buyout

Another nail in the proverbial coffin that is “traditional college sports”. Imo, of course.

Other conferences have, you bet, begin scrambling to catch up since this announcement was made public.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 07:53:31 EDT »

Reports
... been in the works for 6 months
... A&M kept out until last week
... $73M buyout (per school) to leave the BIG12 in 2022
... SEC office will pay $100M of the buyout

Another nail in the proverbial coffin that is “traditional college sports”. Imo, of course.

Other conferences have, you bet, begin scrambling to catch up since this announcement was made public.
Reports indicate that the two schools will formally opt out of the package renewal Monday
Then it becomes when and how much
I suspect the buyout will end up less than the $73M each

Now reports that Kansas is courting the Big Can't Count
West Virginia won't be far behind for either the BCC or the ACC

Bottom Line: The Big 12 will not be a P5 conference going forward

As an aside, I bet the SEC goes after 2 ACC schools
Resulting in 16 schools divided between 2 conf & 4 Divs

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 08:27:01 EDT »

Reports indicate that the two schools will formally opt out of the package renewal Monday
Then it becomes when and how much
I suspect the buyout will end up less than the $73M each

Now reports that Kansas is courting the Big Can't Count
West Virginia won't be far behind for either the BCC or the ACC

Bottom Line: The Big 12 will not be a P5 conference going forward

As an aside, I bet the SEC goes after 2 ACC schools
Resulting in 16 schools divided between 2 conf & 4 Divs
You could be right about the buyout.

The ACC has never seemed interested in WVU and I’ll not sure what they bring to the table at this point.

In the near future, I do think that it’s possible you might see a 20 team SEC with no regular season crossover football games, only the SECC.
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2021, 09:35:48 EDT »

I like it!

SEC North:

Tennessee, Vandy, Mo, Ky, Cocks, Okie, Ark, Ole Piss

SEC South:

Turd, Barn, LSU, GA, FL, Texas, State, A&M

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2021, 10:07:44 EDT »

The BIG could get value with UNC, and probably Clemson. I don't think UVA moves the athletics needle, as impressive as their academics are.

However, UNC likes running their little fiefdom.

I don't like it, but we should grab Clemson to forestall that grab, and then take FSU.

If the BIG has to take NC State and Duke with UNC they're not getting their money's worth.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2021, 10:29:25 EDT »

From a competition standpoint Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc wouldn’t want to move to either the SEC or the Big 10 imo. That being said, things are in motion that could likely force schools to do things that will force them to make moves.

It will be interesting to watch the repercussions if this Texas/OU deal does indeed go through.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2021, 10:33:23 EDT »

From a competition standpoint Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc wouldn’t want to move to either the SEC or the Big 10 imo. That being said, things are in motion that could likely force schools to do things that will force them to make moves.

It will be interesting to watch the repercussions if this Texas/OU deal does indeed go through.

Competition standpoint is zero factor.  It's all about what can maximize the $$$$$$ from TV and marketing rights.  

With the football playoff soon going to a 16 team tourney, and it is coming, the SEC will still have an opportunity to put a minimum 4 teams, and as many as 6 or 7, teams in the playoff every year.  And getting to the playoff is the goal.  Get there you have a shot to win a natty. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2021, 01:06:08 EDT »

I like it!

SEC North:

Tennessee, Vandy, Mo, Ky, Cocks, Okie, Ark, Ole Piss

SEC South:

Turd, Barn, LSU, GA, FL, Texas, State, A&M

yep, that looks fair.  Vols would still probably end up 4th in the North. That ain't funny.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2021, 01:24:22 EDT »

Competition standpoint is zero factor.  It's all about what can maximize the $$$$$$ from TV and marketing rights.  

With the football playoff soon going to a 16 team tourney, and it is coming, the SEC will still have an opportunity to put a minimum 4 teams, and as many as 6 or 7, teams in the playoff every year.  And getting to the playoff is the goal.  Get there you have a shot to win a natty. 
I completely agree. That’s what I was trying to express, although I didn’t word it very effectively I guess.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2021, 02:32:42 EDT »

If you have access to a VQ account, go read the thread titled “ Texas Longhorn War Room Rivals Only Share”.

It’s a great read.

For those who don’t have access, it’s basically a rundown of the last week’s events and the cutthroat attitude that Texas and OU took in regards to the future of the Big12.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2021, 02:55:43 EDT »

If you have access to a VQ account, go read the thread titled “ Texas Longhorn War Room Rivals Only Share”.

It’s a great read.

For those who don’t have access, it’s basically a rundown of the last week’s events and the cutthroat attitude that Texas and OU took in regards to the future of the Big12.
Keep calm!
All is well!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 05:16:26 EDT »

Keep calm!
All is well!
Yep.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 03:38:25 EDT »

The ACC better gird their loins. You know the BIG has their eyes on ND, and the SEC has their eyes on several others.

In listening/reading the people I most trust, this whole thing started when the ACC reached out to Texas and Oklahoma, who in turn decided to make a run at the SEC before considering the ACC.  Looks like the ACC outsmarted themselves on this one. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2021, 04:32:19 EDT »

College football has been my favorite sport since going to Neyland for the first time and watching the Vols vs. UCSB in 1971.  At that time, the SEC was a 10 team Conference where winning the Conference and getting to the Sugar Bowl was huge. The National Champion was crowned via an evolving system that generally worked and always generated interesting discussions.

The regular season in college football, which is probably the greatest seasons in sports has been hanging on by a thread. What the plan looks to be now is 20 team conferences where two teams could conceivably play each other 3 times in a season. Rosters shift every year via the portal, throw in NIL and we are looking like the NFL on Saturdays.

I get it that times change, nothing stays the same, and money talks, but I fear there is a point not too far off where people start to lose interest? We can at least possible be a pod champion.
Creek Walker
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2021, 05:09:09 EDT »

College football has been my favorite sport since going to Neyland for the first time and watching the Vols vs. UCSB in 1971.  At that time, the SEC was a 10 team Conference where winning the Conference and getting to the Sugar Bowl was huge. The National Champion was crowned via an evolving system that generally worked and always generated interesting discussions.

The regular season in college football, which is probably the greatest seasons in sports has been hanging on by a thread. What the plan looks to be now is 20 team conferences where two teams could conceivably play each other 3 times in a season. Rosters shift every year via the portal, throw in NIL and we are looking like the NFL on Saturdays.

I get it that times change, nothing stays the same, and money talks, but I fear there is a point not too far off where people start to lose interest? We can at least possible be a pod champion.

I'm not generally a Fudd who hates change just because it's change. But on this subject I agree. I have loved college football all my life, but with every major change I enjoy it just a little bit less. I go back and watch videos of the old games from the '80s and '90s -- not just UT games -- and yearn for the good ol' days.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2021, 06:29:54 EDT »

I'm not generally a Fudd who hates change just because it's change. But on this subject I agree. I have loved college football all my life, but with every major change I enjoy it just a little bit less. I go back and watch videos of the old games from the '80s and '90s -- not just UT games -- and yearn for the good ol' days.

Agree 100%...but those days are gone. I loved the days of listening to UT games on the radio and the picture that was drawn for you that made you feel like you were sitting on the 50 yard line. Not many can remember those days but the ones that can know what I'm talking about.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2021, 07:17:54 EDT »

Agree 100%...but those days are gone. I loved the days of listening to UT games on the radio and the picture that was drawn for you that made you feel like you were sitting on the 50 yard line. Not many can remember those days but the ones that can know what I'm talking about.

Too bad we have a TV guy doing radio play by play now who has no idea how to paint a picture.  Or pronounce the names correctly.  I still much prefer listening to games on radio, and still do Braves baseball games more often than not. 

Also enjoy listening to West Coast games as I go to bed via the Sirirus/XM app on my phone. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2021, 08:16:16 EDT »

Too bad we have a TV guy doing radio play by play now who has no idea how to paint a picture.  Or pronounce the names correctly.  I still much prefer listening to games on radio, and still do Braves baseball games more often than not. 

Also enjoy listening to West Coast games as I go to bed via the Sirirus/XM app on my phone. 

Radio play-by-play in general is a lost art. I listen to other SEC broadcasts and I'm convinced Bob Kesling is one of the best in the SEC...which is really sad because he's just not good. Like you said, he's a TV guy. When he's doing TV, he does fine. But his radio broadcasts are almost intolerable. With John Ward, the words just flowed and you knew exactly what was going on before the play — I formation, receivers split to either side, etc. — and you also knew what was going on DURING the play. With Bob, there's no rhythm. Even worse, he'll be describing a play as if it was a mundane play and it'll wind up being a 15-20 yard gain. His only saving grace for the past 20 years has been Priest. I know a lot of people didn't like Tim. I did. But now he's gone.

And obviously John Ward was a cut above just about anyone to ever get behind a mic, but there were a lot of good ones who weren't replaced as they retired in the '80s and '90s.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2021, 09:14:46 EDT »

Dad and I would listen to other broadcasts on random AM stations while driving back from hunting in Scott and/or Fentress County. Most had homers, but many could at least paint some sort of picture. Good times.

I think the future may hold good stuff as well. I envision a lot of streamed alternate broadcasts which could vary from educational to entertaining. I'd love to see a smart broadcast with a good high school coach or two. Network color guys are fine, but they give sanitized explanations. I'd tune in to hear a coach be blunt about a team picking on #52 because he's always out of position or something.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2021, 11:05:09 EDT »

Dad and I would listen to other broadcasts on random AM stations while driving back from hunting in Scott and/or Fentress County. Most had homers, but many could at least paint some sort of picture. Good times.

I think the future may hold good stuff as well. I envision a lot of streamed alternate broadcasts which could vary from educational to entertaining. I'd love to see a smart broadcast with a good high school coach or two. Network color guys are fine, but they give sanitized explanations. I'd tune in to hear a coach be blunt about a team picking on #52 because he's always out of position or something.

As somebody who has had literally hundreds of high school coaches on the air with me  at one time or another, be careful what you wish for.   Talk about coachspeak and cliches. Most of them would make Butch Jones sound like a professional  broadcaster.   

Just saying.....

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2021, 11:44:11 EDT »

As somebody who has had literally hundreds of high school coaches on the air with me  at one time or another, be careful what you wish for.   Talk about coachspeak and cliches. Most of them would make Butch Jones sound like a professional  broadcaster.   

Just saying.....

There was a sporting goods store here that every year for years and years hosted a preseason BBQ for all the high school football coaches and staffs all over West TN about 2 weeks before the season kicked off.....It was held on Sat around noon and back in the 70's-80's there would be 35 or more schools and staffs attending.....You never heard so much BS in all your life...it got so deep you needed to  be wearing duck waders. And every school there (even though several schools played each other) was going 0-10 on the season....LOL
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2021, 02:06:32 EDT »

There was a sporting goods store here that every year for years and years hosted a preseason BBQ for all the high school football coaches and staffs all over West TN about 2 weeks before the season kicked off.....It was held on Sat around noon and back in the 70's-80's there would be 35 or more schools and staffs attending.....You never heard so much BS in all your life...it got so deep you needed to  be wearing duck waders. And every school there (even though several schools played each other) was going 0-10 on the season....LOL

I rest my case, Your Honor.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2021, 03:02:59 EDT »

Herb's greatest challenges might be highly entertaining. I love Phil's story about the BBQ.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: