VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 10:16:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: Pitt  (Read 9245 times)
10EC
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2021, 09:56:31 EDT »

Why did they move the ball to the center of the field before they measured it? The should have spotted right where he was tackled.

ACC Crew
Creek Walker
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2021, 10:00:56 EDT »

Call it sour grapes if you want but Pitt got a lot of help to win that game. Sure, there were plenty of things UT did bad (for starters, just get under center and sneak it on fourth and inches!!!) but when you’re the underdog you can’t overcome garbage calls like we saw all day long.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2021, 10:02:24 EDT »

https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/status/1436778953407074309?s=20

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2021, 10:02:40 EDT »

I'll complain a bit later, but I'm proud of the team for not quitting. Also, shout-out to Milton for being engaged even after coming out of the game.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2021, 10:13:57 EDT »

I thought the team played pretty well.  I even liked how Milton ran the offense - it was, of course, that he just could not get the throw to work right for him.  It was kinda mind boggling for sure - he threw amazingly consistent - consistently overthrew by 3-5 yards on just about 80% of his throws.  Even when you could tell he was trying to throw it easy, it came outta there like a cannon.  Just a fizzleing head scratcher.  Hooker threw some great passes, but it just seemed to me he ran things a little more awkwardly.  But yeah, Hooker definitely produced some yardage and some good drives.  I wouldn't quite give up on Milton yet, despite the downright dismall throwing performance.  If he can get over that hump, he will be great.  I thought the D was pretty good, just TOO DAMN THIN!  Jeez, we really need more bodies out there. 

I am liking the coaching so far.  and special teams.... wow!  How bout that?!?!?!?!?!

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2021, 10:15:53 EDT »

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2021, 10:18:36 EDT »

Why did they move the ball to the center of the field before they measured it? They should have spotted it right where he was tackled.

It's inexplicable.  Totally inept and fairly biased.  It's very likely that Pitt would scored at the end, perhaps, but the fizzleing refs help steal a TD from us there at the end... no doubt.  Hell, they tried to steal another TD from us on our previous drive.  Total unmitigated BULL SHIITE.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2021, 10:23:26 EDT »

Some crummy calls for sure. Crap happens.

So many penalties.  So many opportunities we didn't capitalize on.

But, for once it absolutely never felt like we were out of it.  Heckuva effort.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2021, 10:27:52 EDT »

Good fight.......But. At some point you have to make plays to win games. Had it down on the 4 and NADA points.....Then took it over on their 30 and throw a INT. Winners go win games in those situations.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2021, 10:29:07 EDT »

Good fight.......But. At some point you have to make plays to win games. Had it down on the 4 and NADA points.....Then took it over on their 30 and throw a INT. Winners go win games in those situations.

100%
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2021, 10:35:10 EDT »

You can blame the officials all you want, but our staff should have challenged that spot. The side judge was in no position to make that spot. Someone in the coaching box had to be reviewing that and CJH should have challenged it. There was plenty of time - that cannot be an excuse - because there was an official timeout for the measurement.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2021, 10:59:16 EDT »

You can blame the officials all you want, but our staff should have challenged that spot. The side judge was in no position to make that spot. Someone in the coaching box had to be reviewing that and CJH should have challenged it. There was plenty of time - that cannot be an excuse - because there was an official timeout for the measurement.

Yep. Also, Wright was likely in on 2nd down on the previous (?) possession.

In fairness, the officials may have never seen an American football game before today.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2021, 11:03:01 EDT »

Can’t with 2 catches and Warrwn with 3 fans a TD) in the 2nd half

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2021, 11:08:04 EDT »

I thought the team played pretty well.  I even liked how Milton ran the offense - it was, of course, that he just could not get the throw to work right for him.  It was kinda mind boggling for sure - he threw amazingly consistent - consistently overthrew by 3-5 yards on just about 80% of his throws.  Even when you could tell he was trying to throw it easy, it came outta there like a cannon.  Just a fizzleing head scratcher.  Hooker threw some great passes, but it just seemed to me he ran things a little more awkwardly.  But yeah, Hooker definitely produced some yardage and some good drives.  I wouldn't quite give up on Milton yet, despite the downright dismall throwing performance.  If he can get over that hump, he will be great.  I thought the D was pretty good, just TOO DAMN THIN!  Jeez, we really need more bodies out there. 

I am liking the coaching so far.  and special teams.... wow!  How bout that?!?!?!?!?!
thinking timing on long routes is correctable. Also worth noting that Milton only started five games at UM in a weird pandemic year with no spring or summer camps.  I am okay with Hooker, for the most part he did well, and more optimistic about Milton than before

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2021, 11:11:27 EDT »

To this point, Milton has been almost exactly want UM fans said he would be. I'm still hopeful that CJH and staff can transform him.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2021, 11:13:10 EDT »

To this point, Milton has been almost exactly want UM fans said he would be. I'm still hopeful that CJH and staff can transform him.

Didnt you think he played better today?

With the exception of long routes, of course 😂

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2021, 11:20:55 EDT »

Yeah, he throws a terrible deep ball. If he could just complete 1-2 a game it would open up a lot of things underneath. He's actually serviceable on the short/medium stuff.

Creek Walker
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2021, 11:24:40 EDT »

I thought Milton played worse today than last week, to be honest. Pitt couldn’t cover our guys deep in the first half and we just failed to cash in while we had the momentum. Though to be fair the one to Hyatt in the end zone is a ball he has to come down with if he’s going to be the receiver he claims to be. He may be the most over hyped player on the roster based on his performance the first two games.

I thought Hooker looked okay. Not great, but he gave me more to feel better about than Milton.
Creek Walker
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2021, 11:27:22 EDT »

Heupel was calling for the challenge. I’m not sure why he didn’t take the time out and challenge it himself. Unless he was thinking he just had 1 time out left and was confident in his ability to get the 6 inches on 4th down. Clearly he should’ve challenged it. But there’s also zero excuse for it not to be automatically reviewed. The guys in the booth had how long to review it and didn’t? Just an inexplicable turn of events.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2021, 11:29:36 EDT »

I don't know. I definitely don't think he played well. We should have been up 28-0 with the receivers that we had open on deep routes imo. So, I want really impressed.

If he can't compete the deep open routes I don't think he can play in this offense. He doesn't run as well as Hooker either imo.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2021, 11:33:42 EDT »

Heupel was calling for the challenge. I’m not sure why he didn’t take the time out and challenge it himself. Unless he was thinking he just had 1 time out left and was confident in his ability to get the 6 inches on 4th down. Clearly he should’ve challenged it. But there’s also zero excuse for it not to be automatically reviewed. The guys in the booth had how long to review it and didn’t? Just an inexplicable turn of events.
I just think that you must burn that last TO in that situation. Force the review. We should have had coaches in the press box telling him that Hooker had made the line to gain.

That said, blaming the 4th down failure on a lack of communication in your line is a weak response to not going under center on that 4th down. I'm always in favor of under center there.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2021, 11:41:38 EDT »

Milton seems to be able to operate the offense much more rapidly.

Hooker is a better runner.

Hooker is a better passer.

Creek Walker
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2021, 11:42:36 EDT »

I just think that you must burn that last TO in that situation. Force the review. We should have had coaches in the press box telling him that Hooker had made the line to gain.

That said, blaming the 4th down failure on a lack of communication in your line is a weak response to not going under center on that 4th down. I'm always in favor of under center there.

I just don’t get it. I hope we aren’t seeing a redoux of Butch Jones and his infallible offense. My gut says that Heup has way more P5 experience and his offense will work way better. But the reluctance to go under center in crucial down snd inches situations looked painfully familiar.

I gotta say though that for the most part I’m loving the creativity on offense. If we had a QB who could throw accurate balls we would be having fun right now.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2021, 11:45:00 EDT »

I just don’t get it. I hope we aren’t seeing a redoux of Butch Jones and his infallible offense. My gut says that Heup has way more P5 experience and his offense will work way better. But the reluctance to go under center in crucial down snd inches situations looked painfully familiar.

I gotta say though that for the most part I’m loving the creativity on offense. If we had a QB who could throw accurate balls we would be having fun right now.

Heupel is not Butch. He's mentally stable, and a solid coach. That having been said, if he sticks with Milton his fate will be the same.

I'll also say this. If Hooker had played at least a quarter last week 5,000 more tickets would have been sold. No one wants to see Milton.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2021, 11:47:19 EDT »

Milton seems to be able to operate the offense much more rapidly.

Hooker is a better runner.

Hooker is a better passer.
I agree. With our lack of depth on D, I'm not so sure that a tad bit slower is a such bad thing.

It's a refreshing change to feel like we have an offense that can potentially put points on the board. We just need adequate QB play. We don't need great, we just need adequate imo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: