VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 06:34:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well after the first game I felt encouraged by our defense  (Read 1148 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 11, 2021, 11:30:32 EDT »

Today I dread seeing what SEC teams are gonna do to us. Credit the D for getting several stops in the fourth quarter when they needed to but for most of the game aside from the first quarter Pitt just carved us up. The middle of the field was there all. day. long. We couldn’t cover the middle of the field to save our lives. Couldn’t get pressure on the QB and couldn’t cover the middle of the field. That’s a bad combo against anyone with a decent QB.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 11:40:07 EDT »

Pitt's offense annihilated the D for 27 of their points in the 2nd qt (it could have been more except for some defensive stops). Part of that was short field problems, but the 2nd qt was tough to watch.

Other than that, I thought the D was serveable.

Having said that, most SEC offenses (and defenses) are likely going to be hard on this team. It's more than likely going to be a long season. I really hope that I have to eat those words.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 11:42:40 EDT »

Our defense lacks talent, but seems to tackle o.k. This is an upgrade over last year.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 11:44:04 EDT »

Our defense lacks talent, but seems to tackle o.k. This is an upgrade over last year.

They do tackle better than any D we have had in recent years.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 11:53:08 EDT »

And great pursuit by all 11 to boot

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 11:53:13 EDT »

The DL (and I include Tyler Barron) is playing light years better than the last few years.  
Banks is balling out - yeah he plays on the edge but in my view I can accept that
BTW, he split out to cover a wide out to the boundary today - they the the other way but he was covering his man, something he was incapable of last year
Burrell started a bit slow today but played very well late - was covering like glue

But we are woefully thin on defense - for example, when Banks was serving his sentence for the WWE move his replacements were a huge step down

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 02:56:22 EDT »

The second quarter was awful, though in fairness they did get a TO that helped them a bit.  Not sure what it is about the second quarter with this team so far, that's two in a row in which we absolutely sucked on both sides of the ball.

I wasn't surprised that our D did poorly.  BG was not really a test for the D.

I am also pleasantly surprised by the DL play, though there were times the QB had too much time to throw.  Secondary played well at times also. We are thin at LB, maybe that's why they were able to be open in the middle of the field on intermediate routes all day long.

I think unfortunately the D is just going to have to take some hits this season.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 03:08:16 EDT »

The second quarter was awful, though in fairness they did get a TO that helped them a bit.  Not sure what it is about the second quarter with this team so far, that's two in a row in which we absolutely sucked on both sides of the ball.

I wasn't surprised that our D did poorly.  BG was not really a test for the D.

I am also pleasantly surprised by the DL play, though there were times the QB had too much time to throw.  Secondary played well at times also. We are thin at LB, maybe that's why they were able to be open in the middle of the field on intermediate routes all day long.

I think unfortunately the D is just going to have to take some hits this season.   
To be fair, Milton turned the bal over and they held Pitt to a FG, not a bad result

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 03:41:06 EDT »

We have to view points per play, not points per game as a key stat. Pitt ran 98 plays today, and we gave up 41 points. If you figure a normal game would have 70 plays that's the equivalent of giving up just over 29 points.

EDIT: Correction in post below on number of plays
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:05:50 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 04:55:59 EDT »

We have to view points per play, not points per game as a key stat. Pitt ran 98 plays today, and we gave up 41 points. If you figure a normal game would have 70 plays that's the equivalent of giving up just over 29 points.

Sheesh. I didn't know it was that many plays. We cannot survive letting the other team run 98 plays. We just don't have the depth.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 05:08:46 EDT »

My above post was incorrect. I repeated what I saw on an official source that must have accidentally transposed numbers.

Pitt had 45 rushes, 37 pass plays, and 7 punts for a total of 89 plays excluding kickoffs.

https://utsports.com/sports/football/stats/2021/pittsburgh/boxscore/17969

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 11:38:30 EDT »

My above post was incorrect. I repeated what I saw on an official source that must have accidentally transposed numbers.

Pitt had 45 rushes, 37 pass plays, and 7 punts for a total of 89 plays excluding kickoffs.

https://utsports.com/sports/football/stats/2021/pittsburgh/boxscore/17969

Thats still a lot.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: