VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 02:29:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Pitt rank in the SEC?  (Read 1233 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:03:03 EDT »

I think they are about as good as Kentucky, which is widely picked to finish 3rd in the East. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 06:10:02 EDT »

My take on Pitt is "meh." Their defense was porous and they have no running game. Their QB is good and they're fundamentally solid, but they'll struggle against better teams.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 06:23:21 EDT »

Agree their defense is not so good and run game looked iffy.  Actually last year they were only 111 in rushing, though some of that is probably not needing to run.  For yards per attempt they were .... also 111. 

Okay yeah they have a shizzlety rushing attack.

Having said that, they are one of the favorites to win their division in the ACC.

I am looking at it like this...if they are about the level of Kentucky, that means that if the team learns the right things from this game and improves, our chances of beating Kentucky and Mizzou go up.

I do recognize that UK is completely different than Pitt though, with a good D and strong running game, but still iffy at QB although likely improved from last year.

All things said though, from what I have seen of our team so far I'd rather face a strong run game than a good QB.  Still early though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 01:31:37 EDT »

Agree their defense is not so good and run game looked iffy.  Actually last year they were only 111 in rushing, though some of that is probably not needing to run.  For yards per attempt they were .... also 111. 

Okay yeah they have a shizzlety rushing attack.

Having said that, they are one of the favorites to win their division in the ACC.

I am looking at it like this...if they are about the level of Kentucky, that means that if the team learns the right things from this game and improves, our chances of beating Kentucky and Mizzou go up.

I do recognize that UK is completely different than Pitt though, with a good D and strong running game, but still iffy at QB although likely improved from last year.

All things said though, from what I have seen of our team so far I'd rather face a strong run game than a good QB.  Still early though.

I don’t think they’re anywhere close to UK. This might be the best UK team ever. They could even upset UF for 2nd in the East.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 11:13:07 EDT »

I don’t think they’re anywhere close to UK. This might be the best UK team ever. They could even upset UF for 2nd in the East.
A lot of people are saying that. I don't see it.  Mizzou was a 500 team last year, but without any quality wins (unless you count LSU) and even lost to us, and flirted with the idea of losing thier opener to Central Michigan at home.  I'm not reading too much into this one win by UK.

Having said that, on paper UK does look good.  They have one of the best RBs in the league, a solid line, seem to have found a decent QB (it's early though) and have their usual solid defense under Stoops (that just gave up 28 points).  They also finally got over the hump with Florida a few years ago, so yeah, I could see them upsetting Florida, maybe.

But for me, that's just it. We will find out how good UK really is in two weeks when they play the gators.  They will catch them after the bammer game, which may help.  Should be interesting to see.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 02:33:46 EDT »

I think Ky will beat Fla. Ky's QB is mobile enough to keep plays alive and makes quick decisions and very accurate throws. I think they end up 2nd in the East and Ark may be 2nd in the west....I just can't believe these 2 have turned their programs around while we've been attempting to for TWENTY years!          
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 05:13:12 EDT »

I think Ky will beat Fla. Ky's QB is mobile enough to keep plays alive and makes quick decisions and very accurate throws. I think they end up 2nd in the East and Ark may be 2nd in the west....I just can't believe these 2 have turned their programs around while we've been attempting to for TWENTY years!          

I'd say our "rebuidling project" has been 12 years, I'm not counting the last 6 years of the Fulmer regime.  But that is more of a detail, your point is unfortuantely on target.

Two comments. One, Arkansas stock is sky high.  I'd sell if I held any.  Their coach indirectly acknowledged this in the post game presser, he said something like "I will eventually lose a game and people will be angry with me, but I'm pretty popular right now" (that's probably not an exact quote, but basically what he said).   Having said that, there is absolutely no doubt they are much improved.  OTOH, you have to also look at how long they have been down.   They have not had a winning record since 2015.  They did go 11-2 in 2011, so they haven't been down as long as us, but they did hit a lower bottom.  All of which is to say, don't just look at the guy they have now, look at all the failures they had.

As for Kentucky, Stoops had three losing records in a row, though he did improve in those three seasons from what they had before.  There is something to say in that case of the administration and fanbase sticking with him.  I guess when it's football at Kentucky there tends to be more patience.  The other thing is that the best record Stoops has had so far is 10-3.  That would be barely acceptable at UT after 6 years, but it's great at UK.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 12:05:27 EDT »

Yeah I heard Arky's coach say that, but I mean honestly it's rare someone goes undefeated in our conference and I'd say 10-3 in the SEC would be acceptable after 6 years, heck we held onto Fulmer with him going up and down like a yoyo. I'd 10-3 every year over what I've endured the past 20, we've become irrelevant over the past decade (I don't say this lightly, my blood runs as orange as any).       
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 06:27:51 EDT »

10-3 would be our best record since 2007. I'd take it in a heartbeat also.  But it wouldn't be enough in the long run at UT.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: