VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:58:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looked back at last season...I had forgotten we even played Arkansas and Auburn  (Read 884 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2021, 02:03:10 EDT »

Lol...I can recall games from years ago, but didn't even remember we played those games. Had to go read the summary.  Funny thing is, we were up on both of them in the first half, actually led Arkansas 13-0 at halftime, and were close to Auburn at the half also.  But both games went to shizzle in the second half.

We coulda shoulda gone at least 6-4 last season, if not 7-3.  Pruitt just blew it.

But as evidenced by the subject line, I have mostly blotted last season from the memory banks, lol.  It may go down as the most forgettable season in Vol history.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 02:05:56 EDT »

Let me add that if not for the pandemic, likely we beat our originally scheduled OOC opponents, and let's say for arguments sake we still beat Mizzou, Junior, and Vandy.  Also that we are not caught cheating.

Then Pruitt sneaks by with 7-5, maybe even pulls another miracle bowl win out of his arse, and we are back where we started in 2020 this year.

So the silver lining in the 3-7 is that at least we got to make a change early and with a minimum of financial pain.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 03:29:55 EDT »

Let me add that if not for the pandemic, likely we beat our originally scheduled OOC opponents, and let's say for arguments sake we still beat Mizzou, Junior, and Vandy.  Also that we are not caught cheating.

Then Pruitt sneaks by with 7-5, maybe even pulls another miracle bowl win out of his arse, and we are back where we started in 2020 this year.

So the silver lining in the 3-7 is that at least we got to make a change early and with a minimum of financial pain.

We originally had OU scheduled last year. They would've beaten the brakes off us. And the Mizzou game was originally scheduled for a few weeks later. I think we played them in week 2(?). They got a lot better as the season went on and probably would've beaten us by then. I think we would've gone 5-7 with the original schedule. MAYBE 6-6, if you count Mizzou as a win.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 03:31:30 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 04:32:16 EDT »

Effective halftime adjustments were nonexistent with last year’s staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I read speculation last season that Pruitt could scheme the first half D in the week prior to the game, which allowed the team to compete in the first half.  After the half, when teams made major adjustments, our lack of quality coaching at the different position groups made it virtually impossible for the staff to counter the adjustments. I have no idea if there’s any accuracy to that, but it seems reasonable and would explain our exceptionally poor second half performances.

I’m just glad that he’s gone.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 04:46:16 EDT »

I guess firing the DL coach is technically a halftime adjustment.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 05:06:51 EDT »

I guess firing the DL coach is technically a halftime adjustment.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 01:53:32 EDT »

Effective halftime adjustments were nonexistent with last year’s staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I read speculation last season that Pruitt could scheme the first half D in the week prior to the game, which allowed the team to compete in the first half.  After the half, when teams made major adjustments, our lack of quality coaching at the different position groups made it virtually impossible for the staff to counter the adjustments. I have no idea if there’s any accuracy to that, but it seems reasonable and would explain our exceptionally poor second half performances.

I had not heard hat but the evidence seems to indicate at least some truth to that

Also, we had essentially a non existing S&C program

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 06:39:20 EDT »

Makes sense. Hell we led Georgia at the half didnt we!

Glad we closed the book on that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: