VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 03:40:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Kelley to LSU  (Read 1751 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2021, 02:06:14 EST »

Per Thamel.   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:19:07 EST »

Hmm. Good coach. We should have hired him. Will he win big enough down there? Who knows?

If Saban departs in a couple of years, and Kiffin flies the coop the west may not be looking as tough.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 04:26:58 EST »

I can see it....He has taken ND about as far as he can.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 04:32:28 EST »

It'll be really interesting to see how his personality fits down there.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 06:34:02 EST »

Not sure I can recall a year with so many big time job openings. And there may be more to come. 

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 05:13:06 EST »

10 years.....95 MILLION!   

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 05:42:01 EST »

10 years.....95 MILLION!   

That's absolutely nuts

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:51:07 EST »

Maybe we're finally gonna see a serious shake up in the college fb landscape.  Now, if only Saban would retire.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 06:45:49 EST »

$9.5/year is an outlandish salary for someone like Brian Kelly...who MIGHT be successful at LSU but probably won't be. He's a good coach, but LSU seems like a terrible fit for him.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 07:48:12 EST »

At first I didn't like the portal but now I'm all for it due to the coaches having no honesty or honor....Heck, a ND asst coach found out about Kelly leaving via a text while visiting with a recruit....he had no idea Kelly was leaving. Coaches now in the playoff hunt are leaving for other jobs.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 02:25:20 EST »

$9.5/year is an outlandish salary for someone like Brian Kelly...who MIGHT be successful at LSU but probably won't be. He's a good coach, but LSU seems like a terrible fit for him.

Disagree.  He's a Yankee for sure, so what I think you mean is he won't be as beloved as Orgeron was, who, although being shown the door, was very well liked by most LSU fans to the end (they just didn't want him coaching any more). 

He has proven he can coach.  It's also easy to observe that ND can get good, but not great, recruiting classes. Part of it is geography, part of it is the culture there doesn't appeal to some of today's athletes, and part of it is the academic and other items ND puts on the program.

Let me just quote Finebaum today "If Les Miles and Ed Orgeron could win national championships at LSU, what will Kelly do?". 

Kelly looks at LSU and sees the recruiting base and talent they can get, and unconditional support from the admin (vs string put on him at ND), and probably drools.  LSU has arguably the second best recruiting advantage in the conference.  Their state is 6th nationally in terms of D1 recruits, but they have no instate competition and a lot of Louisiana kids want to stay home.  Georgia has the best situation.  I know Texas is no. 2 nationally and Florida 3, but there is tremendous in state competition as well.

Here are the state recruiting rankings as I recall them:

1. CA
2. TX
3. FL
4 GA
5. OH
6. LA

Bama is 7th or 8th

Bottom line, give Kelly SEC talent and see what he can do.  Who cares about his personality or background?  Orgeron fit really well.  He is in Destin as I type.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 02:31:29 EST »

Here is an article ranking states in 2020 based on 4-star and higher signees only.  I guess that's a good way to do it, would still prefer to see the total numbers.  Anyway, the only big change from what I post above is that in this particular year, NC was no. 5, not Ohio.  Interestingly Tennessee was 8th.  Maybe our state is not as bad as I thought for recruiting.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/national-signing-day-recruiting-college-football-2020-Florida-Texas-Georgia-Alabama-143260166/#143260166_3

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 03:16:27 EST »

10 years.....95 MILLION!   

Riley reportedly getting $110 million for ten years, and some other perks.  We may never know that one for sure though, because USC is not a state school and so not required to disclose it.

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 12:13:25 EST »

Disagree.  He's a Yankee for sure, so what I think you mean is he won't be as beloved as Orgeron was, who, although being shown the door, was very well liked by most LSU fans to the end (they just didn't want him coaching any more). 

He has proven he can coach.  It's also easy to observe that ND can get good, but not great, recruiting classes. Part of it is geography, part of it is the culture there doesn't appeal to some of today's athletes, and part of it is the academic and other items ND puts on the program.

Let me just quote Finebaum today "If Les Miles and Ed Orgeron could win national championships at LSU, what will Kelly do?". 

Kelly looks at LSU and sees the recruiting base and talent they can get, and unconditional support from the admin (vs string put on him at ND), and probably drools.  LSU has arguably the second best recruiting advantage in the conference.  Their state is 6th nationally in terms of D1 recruits, but they have no instate competition and a lot of Louisiana kids want to stay home.  Georgia has the best situation.  I know Texas is no. 2 nationally and Florida 3, but there is tremendous in state competition as well.

Here are the state recruiting rankings as I recall them:

1. CA
2. TX
3. FL
4 GA
5. OH
6. LA

Bama is 7th or 8th

Bottom line, give Kelly SEC talent and see what he can do.  Who cares about his personality or background?  Orgeron fit really well.  He is in Destin as I type.

If he wins he will be beloved. That is all it takes.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 03:02:58 EST »

If he wins he will be beloved. That is all it takes.

At first I thought “terrible fit” but the more I think about it, I think it doesn’t really matter.  Like you say, if he wins.

They just fired the best cultural “fit” I can imagine for Baton Rouge, so…
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: