VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 07:37:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirby and Nick are worried about NIL. 😭  (Read 952 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2022, 05:54:47 EST »

First off, I’m not a fan of NIL for the most part. Having said that, it seems that what Kirby and Nick are afraid of is that they won’t be able to keep up with all of the other teams in NIL money. They are not at all worried about the “haves” and the “have nots”, so long as they can remain on the “haves” side. Hypocrites!!

https://twitter.com/djbarrios00/status/1480282948406583297
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:59:58 EST »

Yep.  They like it the way it is and want to keep it that way.

There are two sides to this. Some think the "big dogs will get bigger".  Lane Kiffin for instance, the week they played bama, specifically cited To'to and the WR from OSU (Williamson maybe?) as examples of Saban getting "just the missing pieces" and "they are so much better with those two players".  Which is true.  But I have always thought the opposite, which is that the combination of the portal with NIL will make it easier for other teams to gain ground on bama and uga.  I guess we will see.

As for the just NIL part, there have always been haves and have nots.  The NIL just makes it more open to be a have if the alumni want to step up.  How many alumni have avoided the seamy side of the under the table money will now step up? I guess we will find out.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:31:57 EST »

Let’s assume that 30M number being thrown around about A&M is accurate (and I think it is). That’s just for ONE CLASS. Multiply that by 4, and you’re looking at a “payroll” of 120M for an entire roster. For comparison, the current NFL salary cap is 143M. Now that’s not really an apples/apples comparison- 85 man roster vs 53. But remember, this is just year one of NIL. These numbers are just going to escalate, and there’s currently no ceiling, whereas the NFL number is a hard cap. We’re going to reach point very soon where most college players actually LOSE money by going pro.

That said, Saban and Smart are last ones who should be preaching on this subject. Everyone knows that they have been NIL “haves” for years, and are just worried that other well-heeled schools will crash their party, now that it’s legal. 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:24:07 EST »

I read an interesting thought somewhere this weekend: What if some of the Ivy League schools decided that they wanted to use NIL to become competitive in recruiting for football and/or basketball?

I would imagine that there are some very wealthy alumni at those schools.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 06:39:50 EST »

I read an interesting thought somewhere this weekend: What if some of the Ivy League schools decided that they wanted to use NIL to become competitive in recruiting for football and/or basketball?

I would imagine that there are some very wealthy alumni at those schools.

I was thinking that the other day. Of course, those schools would have to drastically alter their admission standards for most of these kids, and I can’t imagine that’s something they’d want to do.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 06:46:05 EST »

I was thinking that the other day. Of course, those schools would have to drastically alter their admission standards for most of these kids, and I can’t imagine that’s something they’d want to do.
That's VERY true.  I hadn't even considered that aspect.  There aren't a whole lot of Josh Dobbs and Grant Williams types playing top level NCAA athletics.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 12:43:55 EST »

I think it also goes against the grain of Ivy League schools.  They decided a long time ago not to emphasize athletics. I don't see them ever going back on that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 01:17:12 EST »

I think it also goes against the grain of Ivy League schools.  They decided a long time ago not to emphasize athletics. I don't see them ever going back on that.
I can't dispute that, but that wasn't really the point of my earlier post. The point was, what if some of them did decide to get into big time athletics with NIL.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 05:00:06 EST »

I can't dispute that, but that wasn't really the point of my earlier post. The point was, what if some of them did decide to get into big time athletics with NIL.
They won't 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: