VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 05:32:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We got Nico!  (Read 2479 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2022, 06:10:30 EDT »

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbXvR2LjzCM/?utm_medium=share_sheet

https://twitter.com/AustinPriceless/status/1505938864162103296?s=20&t=phphwCq_64c2XN6jGBzZKw

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:58:49 EDT »

For better or worse.

No knock on the kid himself, I hope he kills it in Knoxville. And I’m glad we’re actually swimming in the deep end of the NIL pool (I didn’t think we would).

But $8M for a kid who’s never taken a college snap? This is bad for college sports. We’re just building a giant house of cards here. 

tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 07:03:17 EDT »

My question is: Are they making seasonal agreements or college career agreements? I was going to say this is going to get ugly... but it already has.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 07:17:27 EDT »

For better or worse.

No knock on the kid himself, I hope he kills it in Knoxville. And I’m glad we’re actually swimming in the deep end of the NIL pool (I didn’t think we would).

But $8M for a kid who’s never taken a college snap? This is bad for college sports. We’re just building a giant house of cards here. 
IMO this is the biggest QB "get" since the 90's

He could be a bust but assuming he has a good head on his shoulders his skill set fits perfectly into this offense
Plus it is a beacon for more talent to take a closer look, especially for the WR room

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 08:32:08 EDT »

So Spyre Sports is the conduit. Who is the "money" man? Various companies/corporations/individuals? In return for the money, the athlete promotes products/events/in-person promotions? I still don't understand it... like at all! Lol
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 09:18:02 EDT »

So Spyre Sports is the conduit. Who is the "money" man? Various companies/corporations/individuals? In return for the money, the athlete promotes products/events/in-person promotions? I still don't understand it... like at all! Lol
A lot of the $$ come from common folk but yes, some of the big donors to the University and AD have contributed.
Do I believe the $88 number?
No, but assuming he fulfills his potential it "could" get to high numbers

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 10:43:27 EDT »

Anyone know if the $8 million is cumulative or pre-enrollment?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 10:44:33 EDT »

Anyone know if the $8 million is cumulative or pre-enrollment?
If it is true, I'm sure it is cumulative

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 11:08:38 EDT »

For better or worse.

I hate it too but gotta play the game, right? 

Seismic event for TN football.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 06:08:35 EDT »

Read on another site, famed for accuracy, from a guy whose barber is also barber to a highly placed insider that the package is around a quarter mil up front, and then 2 mil each year on the roster.  I will be checking with my barber next trip to see if this guy has any street cred.

My question is: Are they making seasonal agreements or college career agreements? I was going to say this is going to get ugly... but it already has.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 06:57:57 EDT »

suck it bama and uga....it's legal now 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 02:52:17 EDT »

For better or worse.

IMO it comes down to this: the facts are the die has been cast and either we adapt or we can forget again being competitive at the top level.          
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 03:46:54 EDT »

IMO it comes down to this: the facts are the die has been cast and either we adapt or we can forget again being competitive at the top level.          

I can understand not liking the new NIL era, I don’t like it either.  But it’s going to go on and things are going to happen whether TN participates or not.  Would our fans really prefer is to sit by and just chug along the “right” way?

I personally have no trouble separating lamenting the NIL era while being thrilled with yesterday’s news.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 04:14:17 EDT »

I don't like the NIL concept, but it is the new norm whether I like it or not. We know that all of the top level programs have been paying players for years and years, though, our favorite university included. I think it is quite obvious that NIL is destined to take payments to new levels and Nico is just one example of that.

As has been discussed here on other occasions I worry about where NIL and the portal will eventually take college athletics, but I'm in no position to change it so I'll just go with it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 05:00:50 EDT »

Oh I agree. If everyone else is going there, then we need to as well.

Now, time is of the essence. We have to win another NC before the entire sport crashes in on itself. The clock is ticking. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 06:06:16 EDT »

Like I asked before...who is out the money if he is a bust? Does he stay on the team, is he still in school going to classes. It is going to be ugly. Wil the kids pay half assed because they got the money? Will they play in bowl games?

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 07:04:48 EDT »

Probably, some very savvy folks are in the Spyre group. When this much money is involved, I'd be willing to bet that those folks have written in stipulations for bowl game NIL opportunities and the like.

I have no knowledge of how these documents can be written, by rules, but I would also be really surprised if performance doesn't end up factoring into the equation. Remember, as I read it the document was for "up to $8M.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 07:10:59 EDT »

Like I asked before...who is out the money if he is a bust? Does he stay on the team, is he still in school going to classes. It is going to be ugly. Wil the kids pay half assed because they got the money? Will they play in bowl games?

We all saw your question before, but given our limited experience on dealing with contracts for college football players, it might be best to ask yer boy Nick

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 07:13:09 EDT »

We all saw your question before, but given our limited experience on dealing with contracts for college football players, it might be best to ask yer boy Nick
⬆️⬆️⬆️  😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣  ⬆️⬆️⬆️
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 07:14:15 EDT »

Probably, some very savvy folks are in the Spyre group. When this much money is involved, I'd be willing to bet that those folks have written in stipulations for bowl game NIL opportunities and the like.

I have no knowledge of how these documents can be written, by rules, but I would also be really surprised if performance doesn't end up factoring into the equation. Remember, as I read it the document was for "up to $8M.
It does

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 10:15:54 EDT »

hm.  Maybe it has incentives?  Would that be possible with NIL?  Who knows.

But just thinking out loud and not really knowing crap about NIL and not being an expert on contracts...just common sense would suggest it's doable.

Kind of like the incentives offered by companies over the years.  For instance, there was a UNC backup whose nickname was "biscuit" because he was a good three point shooter, and some fast food company (Bojangles?) offered a free biscuit every time UNC scored over 100.  He would often get folks a free biscuit.   

So again using only common sense, I could see where an NIL would stipulate that scoring a TD brings positive attention to Nico, and thus positive attention to them, and they arrange for some event to reward him for it.

In fact, now that I think about this kind of thing is already happening. I seem to recall Alontae getting  a cookie or some such last year for making an int.   

So they likely have incentives, but just don't call them that would be my guess.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 11:02:20 EDT »

Here is what Stewart Mandell reported

He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/5-star-2023-cfb-recruit-reportedly-lands-8-million-nil-deal-media-fans-react/

No barbers necessary 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 11:22:13 EDT »

Here is what Stewart Mandell reported

He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/5-star-2023-cfb-recruit-reportedly-lands-8-million-nil-deal-media-fans-react/

No barbers necessary 
For example, several football & BB team members have had engagements at Alumni Hall (open) and subscriber only (Spyre 1951 Club) engagements with more being added

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 12:00:07 EDT »

I wonder if the O lineman that is making $100 bucks in NIL money will be happy to block for the guy making 100's of thousands of dollars a year. He might be jealous and say.."let's see you throw the ball when the DL is on top of your ass" Mr. 8 million dollar man. It will be interesting.

volsboyinsodak
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 12:29:32 EDT »

I wonder if the O lineman that is making $100 bucks in NIL money will be happy to block for the guy making 100's of thousands of dollars a year. He might be jealous and say.."let's see you throw the ball when the DL is on top of your ass" Mr. 8 million dollar man. It will be interesting.

OL don't make as much as QB in the NFL. Sales make a lot more than factory workers. Pretty much the same throughout society.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: