VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 07:58:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is the usual Friday reminder...(FINAL EDITION)....  (Read 1654 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2022, 02:30:35 EDT »

I will be leaving the office at 11:30 today as usual on Friday for the last time. I will not be coming to the office on Friday any longer because I am retiring. I will still come to the office M-Th but we will start reducing the hours. I have already alerted realtors and mortgage companies that I will be taking no new business as of today. My lease on the office runs through October of next year but it will take that long to wind it up.

My advice: Leave early on Friday.

Thank you. That is all.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:38:26 EDT by droner » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 02:38:27 EDT »

I will be leaving the office at 11:30 today as usual on Friday for the last time. I will not be coming to the office on Friday any longer because I am retiring. I will still come to the office M-Th but we will start reducing the hours. I have already alerted realtors and mortgage companies that I will be taking no new business as of today. My lease on the office runs through October of next year but it will take that long the wind it up.

Thank you. That is all.
Advice:  Early tee times Friday mornings allow one to beat the heat and will allow more time to get to know droner's liver
Congrats on the slippery slope to retirement!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 02:56:21 EDT »

I will be leaving the office at 11:30 today as usual on Friday for the last time. I will not be coming to the office on Friday any longer because I am retiring. I will still come to the office M-Th but we will start reducing the hours. I have already alerted realtors and mortgage companies that I will be taking no new business as of today. My lease on the office runs through October of next year but it will take that long the wind it up.

Thank you. That is all.

Congrats Man…
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 04:33:46 EDT »

Congrats!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 05:57:27 EDT »

Cheers!  

Enjoy some extremely overpriced adult beverages and cigars this weekend!  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 07:33:19 EDT »

Congrats dude!  Hope retirement is all it's cracked up to be for you. I'm 62, so I don't know if and when to start taking social security payments and actually retire. I'll probably work a few more years. You got any advice?

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 09:12:51 EDT »

Congrats dude!  Hope retirement is all it's cracked up to be for you. I'm 62, so I don't know if and when to start taking social security payments and actually retire. I'll probably work a few more years. You got any advice?

Retire when you can afford it. But I didn't take my social security until I was 66 and fully vested. Your fully vested age is probably higher. If you take the SS while still working and not fully vested, you will pay penalty. That's why I waited. I'm still taxed on it but there is no penalty.

Medicare at 65.
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 09:26:49 EDT »

Congratulations!

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 09:45:53 EDT »

Retire when you can afford it. But I didn't take my social security until I was 66 and fully vested. Your fully vested age is probably higher. If you take the SS while still working and not fully vested, you will pay penalty. That's why I waited. I'm still taxed on it but there is no penalty.

Medicare at 65.
I have deferred SS (fully vested), probably until I retire - which will be this or next December (was leaning towards the latter but now thinking earlier is better)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 09:46:09 EDT »

Congrats!  But I have to say, this post makes me a little sad, to say the least.  It's the end of an era.......

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 10:43:23 EDT »

Gonna miss the Friday posts....Congrats on your scaling back and just leave early on Thursdays now.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 12:06:56 EDT »

I have deferred SS (fully vested), probably until I retire - which will be this or next December (was leaning towards the latter but now thinking earlier is better)
that's me as well. Don't want to endure the penalty for taking it early.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 12:49:38 EDT »

Wow, the end of an era indeed.  Right up there with John Ward’s final game!

Enjoy, my friend!   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 01:43:08 EDT »

Enjoy, my friend!   

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 02:23:23 EDT »

I will be leaving the office at 11:30 today as usual on Friday for the last time. I will not be coming to the office on Friday any longer because I am retiring. I will still come to the office M-Th but we will start reducing the hours. I have already alerted realtors and mortgage companies that I will be taking no new business as of today. My lease on the office runs through October of next year but it will take that long to wind it up.

Thank you. That is all.

Congratulations!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 02:32:07 EDT »

Congrats!!! Enjoy it!!!

I retired last June at 62. My wife had been retired for two years when I retired. My new job is golf every M-W-F morning. I highly recommend it. I took my SS - I was blessed to be able to do it at that time and none of us know how much time we have left. After 38 years teaching I figured that I has earned a release.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 04:41:41 EDT »

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  I retired on the exact day I turned 59.5 and have never looked back. Some people miss working but I am really good at being retired. Enjoy!

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 05:24:42 EDT »

Enjoy, my friend!   

Your post is the ultimate compliment, even if it is the ultimate overstatement.

Thanks, Vinnie.   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 04:40:28 EDT »

Congrats!!! Enjoy it!!!

I retired last June at 62. My wife had been retired for two years when I retired. My new job is golf every M-W-F morning. I highly recommend it. I took my SS - I was blessed to be able to do it at that time and none of us know how much time we have left. After 38 years teaching I figured that I has earned a release.
Hope you have a great retirement. I'll be 62 in December. I've talked to some guys who missed going to work after retirement and some who didn't. I think most of it is you that have got to have some reason to wake up in the morning. Some folks don't plan for that aspect and are lost. Golf is a great reason to get up every morning. I'm jealous.

volsboyinsodak
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 06:39:10 EDT »

Hope you enjoy retirement and drink plenty of that fine wine!   Congrats droner! 

As for SS, I took it when I retired at 62.5 but I wasn't working...I'd rather live on SS than using my IRA for now.  After 5 years, I got bored and started back working 18 hours a week and loving it!  After a year long battle with breast cancer and surviving that, I decided sitting around at home was boring and it was time do something for me -- so I'm working with an OT as her personal assistant and meeting so many great people!   Funny how life is -- 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 07:23:42 EDT »

Hope you have a great retirement. I'll be 62 in December. I've talked to some guys who missed going to work after retirement and some who didn't. I think most of it is you that have got to have some reason to wake up in the morning. Some folks don't plan for that aspect and are lost. Golf is a great reason to get up every morning. I'm jealous.
I was really worried, even up until the last day of work. Now, though, I find it amusing that I was worried about it. I was blessed to find a new golf group just as I retired that consists mainly of other retired individuals. On days when I'm not golfing (4 days a week), I have plenty of honey-do's to keep me busy.

My advice to anyone would be that unless you absolutely love what you are doing and it completely fulfills you, retire at the earliest possible date. Enjoy your time because we don't know how much (or how little) we might have left here on Earth.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 12:15:44 EDT »

Hope you enjoy retirement and drink plenty of that fine wine!   Congrats droner! 

As for SS, I took it when I retired at 62.5 but I wasn't working...I'd rather live on SS than using my IRA for now.  After 5 years, I got bored and started back working 18 hours a week and loving it!  After a year long battle with breast cancer and surviving that, I decided sitting around at home was boring and it was time do something for me -- so I'm working with an OT as her personal assistant and meeting so many great people!   Funny how life is -- 

Glad things are going well for you, Granny!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 06:17:33 EDT »

Take it from a guy who's been retired for several years...Make sure you have something to do...I'm a huge golfer and played on average 4 days a week....The weekends were for me and the wife because she's 11 years younger than me and still working...I did chores around here to take things off her and then off to the golf club and our daily 11:30 tee times of anywhere between 12-16 of us. On the days I didn't play I got stuff done around the house....

Covid in 2020 kind of hurt the golf...I got hurt in a fall in Feb 2020 and was out of commission for 4 weeks...when I healed then Covid was hitting full force and the country was starting to shut down....I have a 84 year old mother that lives 10 blocks from me I see after so I was trying to keep myself safe for her....and me so I choose to stay away from the golf course until things settled ....That took a huge love away from my life and friendships at the club. In April 2021 I decided to start practicing and get ready to get back into golf....Then in may 2021 I had a stroke and also DKA and spent 5 days in ICU and several days in the hospital....Due to my stroke I spent 5 and a half months of rehab....couldn't drive for 6 months etc etc....The stroke effected my balance real bad. I went for several months like I was two thirds drunk all the time....Through rehab and home exercises I'm back to 80% of normal when back in November I was 50% and in August I was around 20%. My goal is by next Spring to work my way back to the course....I hit about 20 balls a few weeks ago before the heat and drought hit here....Not real bad but not good. Balance means everything in the golf swing.

Whatever you do in retirement make sure you have something to do....Sitting is a sin. There are retirement groups here that folks join and stay active....Come hell or high water I'm going to play golf again. I miss the gang and they miss my money.  

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:22:07 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 03:07:28 EDT »

Take it from a guy who's been retired for several years...Make sure you have something to do...I'm a huge golfer and played on average 4 days a week....The weekends were for me and the wife because she's 11 years younger than me and still working...I did chores around here to take things off her and then off to the golf club and our daily 11:30 tee times of anywhere between 12-16 of us. On the days I didn't play I got stuff done around the house....

Covid in 2020 kind of hurt the golf...I got hurt in a fall in Feb 2020 and was out of commission for 4 weeks...when I healed then Covid was hitting full force and the country was starting to shut down....I have a 84 year old mother that lives 10 blocks from me I see after so I was trying to keep myself safe for her....and me so I choose to stay away from the golf course until things settled ....That took a huge love away from my life and friendships at the club. In April 2021 I decided to start practicing and get ready to get back into golf....Then in may 2021 I had a stroke and also DKA and spent 5 days in ICU and several days in the hospital....Due to my stroke I spent 5 and a half months of rehab....couldn't drive for 6 months etc etc....The stroke effected my balance real bad. I went for several months like I was two thirds drunk all the time....Through rehab and home exercises I'm back to 80% of normal when back in November I was 50% and in August I was around 20%. My goal is by next Spring to work my way back to the course....I hit about 20 balls a few weeks ago before the heat and drought hit here....Not real bad but not good. Balance means everything in the golf swing.

Whatever you do in retirement make sure you have something to do....Sitting is a sin. There are retirement groups here that folks join and stay active....Come hell or high water I'm going to play golf again. I miss the gang and they miss my money.  
Sorry to hear about your problems. I'll be praying for you.

I completely agree with you about staying active. I'm not a 'sit around' type of individual and retirement would never worked for me if I had retired to the recliner.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 12:34:19 EDT »

Congrats!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: