VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 05:42:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy with the win ... but  (Read 764 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2022, 05:23:26 EDT »

The Vols need to start putting teams away when they have the chance. Second half, numerous times we had that shot but blew it with stupid penalties and dropping passes . That killer instinct..... getting that 4th down play.....etc

Some things I liked
- DL is getting better, they really knocked around the PITT OL and QB in first half
- Hadden keeps playing well, need more of him
- FG kicking

Some things that need to be corrected
- Punting, special teams - ugly
- Run game was weak. Wright has more explosion but you can't fumble. Would have liked to see Sampson
- Hooker needs to look for more guys than Tilman. Need to see more thrown to Bru

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 05:27:48 EDT »

The Vols need to start putting teams away when they have the chance. Second half, numerous times we had that shot but blew it with stupid penalties and dropping passes . That killer instinct..... getting that 4th down play.....etc

Agree with this , but have a bit different take. I would say offense was stagnant in 3rd but woke up in 4th.  D let a few through but generally played well in second half.

What kept them in it was the fizzleing turnovers.  Eliminate those and Vols cruise to an easy win.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 05:32:43 EDT »

- Hooker needs to look for more guys than Tilman. Need to see more thrown to Bru

Hyatt had like 14 catches???
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 05:35:18 EDT »

11 but I agree with the sentiment and was going to point that out, as well.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 07:01:56 EDT »

Hyatt did well with the outs, would like to see him more on slants too

Bru needs more touches.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 06:02:54 EDT »

Pretty much agree with all, but I would add that pass protection must improve.  This is a far more experienced OL now, yet we didn't block run or pass very well.  Still, with the offense not hitting on all cylinders and with horrible punt/return play----we won.  How many time would that have happened in the last 15 years? 

Some things I liked
- DL is getting better, they really knocked around the PITT OL and QB in first half
- Hadden keeps playing well, need more of him
- FG kicking

Some things that need to be corrected
- Punting, special teams - ugly
- Run game was weak. Wright has more explosion but you can't fumble. Would have liked to see Sampson

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 06:41:58 EDT »

To get to where we want to go we have got to get a running game....right now it's just not good. IMO, with our types of back that aren't good creating their own lanes we have to create them up front with wider splits....We are in there toe to toe and trying to run between the tackles/ends and it's not working...We don't have a Derrick Henry back there that's going to punish folks...

Also Hooker might need to get back further....He stands very close to the LOS and it has to be harder to see the field. He needs to create more time a lot. He's not great at throwing on the run....more time would help. Our offense surprised and even shocked a lot of folks last season....not going to be the case this year against good defenses. It's why our running game has to be a lot better....JMO
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 08:22:01 EDT »

To get to where we want to go we have got to get a running game....right now it's just not good. IMO, with our types of back that aren't good creating their own lanes we have to create them up front with wider splits....We are in there toe to toe and trying to run between the tackles/ends and it's not working...We don't have a Derrick Henry back there that's going to punish folks...

Also Hooker might need to get back further....He stands very close to the LOS and it has to be harder to see the field. He needs to create more time a lot. He's not great at throwing on the run....more time would help. Our offense surprised and even shocked a lot of folks last season....not going to be the case this year against good defenses. It's why our running game has to be a lot better....JMO

Agree on run game. Small seems to me to be slow, but he runs with power. Wright has explosion but fumbles. I think we need to see more of Sampson and JW

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 10:29:28 EDT »

Really good breakdown 'Nut

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 06:44:47 EDT »

Transfers and injuries have not been kind to the run game, for sure 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: