VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 03:15:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who coaches special teams???  (Read 755 times)
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2022, 02:03:34 EDT »

... we need a change. One thing about Johnny... he had (cafego). It seems like this team shows susceptibility to fake kicks once or twice a year. Hell Vanderbilt got away with one on us.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 02:08:26 EDT »

Eckler (sp?) I believe. I must have missed a fake punt or fg. Don't recall that happening.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 02:21:53 EDT »

Eckler (sp?) I believe. I must have missed a fake punt or fg. Don't recall that happening.

The subject is coaching. Not fake punts or fake field goals.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 02:27:38 EDT »

The subject is coaching. Not fake punts or fake field goals.

Lol. Read your OP. Prick! I told you who the coach was. Easy google for ya hoss 
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 02:36:35 EDT »

Lol. Read your OP. Prick! I told you who the coach was. Easy google for ya hoss 

You obviously want drama. I wasn't looking for any. Still not.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 02:41:29 EDT »

You obviously want drama. I wasn't looking for any. Still not.

You don't find a problem with your tone re: "the subject"? The onside kick was very deliberate. No fake. Bru did not go to the ball. He waited. I'm sure he was coached differently. IF that is what you're talking about. Don't care. I will resume my policy of avoiding your posts.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 02:49:57 EDT »

You don't find a problem with your tone re: "the subject"? The onside kick was very deliberate. No fake. Bru did not go to the ball. He waited. I'm sure he was coached differently. IF that is what you're talking about. Don't care. I will resume my policy of avoiding your posts.

I'm fine with you not posting venom at me when you flavor my posts with your misunderstanding (misreading). I wish you had done so this time.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 02:53:59 EDT »

I'm fine with you not posting venom at me when you flavor my posts with your misunderstanding (misreading). I wish you had done so this time.

Dude YOU mentioned fake punts & kicks. I thought I must have missed one in THIS game. I guess you were just arbitrarily babbling about the possibility. Later Tater.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 03:08:06 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 03:04:23 EDT »

Dude YOU mentioned blocked punts & kicks. I thought I must have missed one in THIS game. I guess you were just arbitrarily babbling about the possibility. Later Tater. 

I didn't mention "blocked" anything. Not that I'm aware of... I will chalk that up to your babbling. Why not just leave me alone or wait until you find some grace within yourself before you post to me again.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 03:06:31 EDT »

I didn't mention "blocked" anything. Not that I'm aware of... I will chalk that up to your babbling. Why not just leave me alone or wait until you find some grace within yourself before you post to me again.

Fake not blocked.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 03:24:40 EDT »

Fake not blocked.

However hard a kicking team tries to disguise an on side kick it is still generally classified as a fake kick. Generally speaking the same coach who coaches defense of an on side kick also coaches defending fake punts and fake field goals. And yes, you were correct... I was generally speaking about the returner surging forward to receive the ball before it travels the 10 yards. But I was also speaking about the blocking. A return setup should be abandoned when an onside kick is perceived. The blockers should surge block not stand around and wait for their counterpart to reach them. The contention between you and I... Got nothing to do with me.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 04:32:42 EDT »

If this is about that last recovery on the 2nd offsides kick,they got a really lucky bounce.  Which is typically what it takes...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 04:44:33 EDT »

If this is about that last recovery on the 2nd offsides kick,they got a really lucky bounce.  Which is typically what it takes...

It stopped being about the game really quickly and turned into a personality clash. I agree they got a lucky bounce... but I contend that situational coaching could have prevented that recovery. It's not a civil war matter though.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 04:46:21 EDT »

It stopped being about the game really quickly and turned into a personality clash. I agree they got a lucky bounce... but I contend that situational coaching could have prevented that recovery. It's not a civil war matter though.

Was going all the way back to your OP.  Could be that some better coaching helps there, but that was an exceptional bounce.  If that type bounce could be done repeatedly teams would go for onsides way more often.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2022, 04:50:45 EDT »

Was going all the way back to your OP.  Could be that some better coaching helps there, but that was an exceptional bounce.  If that type bounce could be done repeatedly teams would go for onsides way more often.  IMO.

It addition to what you say... If I were an opposing coach gaming UT... I'd try and exploit this latent tendancy.
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2022, 04:54:25 EDT »

The onside kick was well-executed...or Florida got exceptionally lucky, however you want to put it. But you cannot just stand and watch that kick. You have to be proactive and go get it. Poorly executed on Tennessee's part.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2022, 04:55:40 EDT »

The onside kick was well-executed...or Florida got exceptionally lucky, however you want to put it. But you cannot just stand and watch that kick. You have to be proactive and go get it. Poorly executed on Tennessee's part.

looked to me like we had a guy with  a bead on it that was narrowly cut off by the gaytor player...its worth a rewatch though

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2022, 05:02:07 EDT »

looked to me like we had a guy with  a bead on it that was narrowly cut off by the gaytor player...its worth a rewatch though
Just watched the highlights - Bru had a bead on it and the ball nose dived before he could get there (very similar to the 1st onsides that he recovered

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: