VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 07:46:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 564 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2022, 04:07:06 EDT »

Offense:
QB: Hendo Cinco, nuf said.  The young man had himself a hell of a game

RB:  Small had a good game, got some tough yards.  Knew what to do when he got the ball in the flat on a checkdown.  

WR:  Ced who?  I thought the three main WRs had a good game.
The TEs were a bit of hot and cold but mostly hot

OL:  IMO their best game of the year.  Several times they put the fat lardass, including a TD, on his butt

Coaching:  Boy can they scheme people open.  On Bru’s long pass they had Hyatt motion from inside to outside, forcing the corner to cover him and the safety was caught not paying attention
We used motion a lot to scheme people open or late get TEs in position to block for a good gain and 1st down
On the 4th down pass late in the 4th the WR didn’t run the correct route
I absolutely agree with not going for the longish FG attempt

Defense:
DL:  We bottled up the run for the most part, though Omari Thomas had a very good game
Not a good game by Barron in my view and in fact most of the 4th he wasn’t in the game.  On one of their TDs they used Barron’s aggressiveness against him
Joseph flashed a few time
Young was held a lot but still flashed at times (in their endzone his pressure resulted in what should have been intentional grounding in the endzone as AR was a) not out of the tackle box and b) the ball didn’t reach the LOS
Could not get to the QB without vlitzing
Not their best night but far from their worse

LB:  Really had a night to forget.  Their pass drops in zone were not observed.  Mitchell was a ghost for the most part and Banks not all that much better.   IMO Beasley needs more PT.

CB:  Hadden played the best but was still lost in zone at times.  The Turnage and Rucker were just bad.  T-Mac wasn’t really tested a lot at Star.  Thought Walker was more active when he was in at Star,
We swapped field and boundary corners a LOT today, something ww hadn't done all year

Safeties:  posted elsewhere but they are, by far, the weakest link in the defense.  IMO we need to try different people there as who we are playing aren’t getting the job done.

Coaching:  played way too much zone, which we have proved time after time that we are incapable of playing well.  Did crank up the pressure at times.

Special teams: ZERO (0) punts!  KO coverage was very good.  KO returns were more aggressive and successful, gained us some good field position a couple of times.
I’ll have to look at the tape but I think the 2nd onsides kick was a bad bounce.

Also, a shout out to Mr. Napier for being a moron and going for 2 so early.  If he hadn’t then all he needed was a FG to tie at the end
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:14:06 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 04:19:54 EDT »

Also, a shout out to Mr. Napier for being a moron and going for 2 so early.  If he hadn’t then all he needed was a FG to tie at the end

I hope they give him a 9 year Jimbo type contract extension 

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 04:21:05 EDT »

Thanks for the review. I always enjoy going through your Game thoughts.

I haven’t gone back and watched it again, but I think the 2nd on-side kick took the perfect bounce for the kicking team. It also appeared to me that we didn’t rush them to block them (we laid back and let them come to us). Again, I could be wrong on all counts but that’s how it looked to me at the time.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 04:42:33 EDT »

My only comments are, I thought that for the most part we got good pressure on AR (not always though, still room for improvement there), but with a couple nice exceptions just couldn't get him down.  Give him some credit for that, he's a shifty sumbitch, but I would have liked to see us close the deal a bit more because we flushed him from the pocket quite a bit.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 03:29:46 EDT »

Highlights from last night

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/1574021148379152384?s=20&t=GeoLKrYSUaoujYGfy6ysrQ

You can see the scheming that opened up plays.
It is clear that we saw something on the gator left side of the secondary and we attacked it all day. 
That also explains why Hyatt was slotted on the left far more yesterday than the previous 3 games (probably more that all 3 combined)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 04:41:21 EDT »

Thank you for noting not attempting a long field goal late. There wasn't much to gain from it, but a ton from getting a first down.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: