VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 11:33:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DishTV is having a dispute with Disney  (Read 847 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:22:39 EDT »

No ESPN channels at all!   

Fortunately I have already begun my transition to streaming.  A buddy gave me his old Roku a couple months ago and I get Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu free through my provider.  So I am currently watching the SECN through Roku.  The menu is a bit of a pain, I have to click multiple times to get to the SECN, but I can get used to that.

What I might miss if I permanently pull the plug (and I really want to!) is the "back" feature, which doesn't seem to work for streaming.  Or does it?

To be clear what I mean is that Roku apparently doesn't allow me to back up on live streaming.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I have become accustomed to having my own replay capability. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 08:46:47 EDT »

When I moved here, I signed up with my local cable provider. After a week of dealing with their overpriced, freezing up 3 times per day, remote with 2’ range BS, I dropped them and got Direct TV Stream through roku. I’ve been very happy with them so far. They’re the priciest of the live TV streaming services, but they’re the only one with Bally Sports, which I can’t live without.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 09:28:50 EDT »

No ESPN channels at all!   

What I might miss if I permanently pull the plug (and I really want to!) is the "back" feature, which doesn't seem to work for streaming.  Or does it?

To be clear what I mean is that Roku apparently doesn't allow me to back up on live streaming.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I have become accustomed to having my own replay capability. 

I use Roku with YoutubeTV. I record EVERY college football game played. If you set a game to record on my system, you can go back. Through the ESPN app I cannot rewind the game videos.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 02:18:52 EDT »

Streaming services aren't safe from these disputes. Apparently Sling subscribers lost ESPN access today as well.

I put more fault on ESPN than the cable/satellite/streaming providers. The primary reason cable and satellite are losing subscribers in droves is the price. And the primary reason their price is so high is ESPN. The more subscribers they lose, the more the providers are pressed to keep their costs down, which is impossible because ESPN's costs are always going up. I get it to a point...every single game is available on TV now because ESPN is pouring billions of dollars into providing live content, and that cost can only be recouped from subscribers. But ESPN also wastes a crapton of money trying to insert itself into every political issue that is even remotely sports-related, the vast majority of which the average sports viewer couldn't care less about. Not to mention the elaborate sets and personnel for GameDay, etc. I guess that's important to a lot of people...but it's not to me. I wish there was an alternative to ESPN that would focus on game broadcasts and game broadcasts alone.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 02:32:29 EDT »

Streaming services aren't safe from these disputes. Apparently Sling subscribers lost ESPN access today as well.

I put more fault on ESPN than the cable/satellite/streaming providers. The primary reason cable and satellite are losing subscribers in droves is the price. And the primary reason their price is so high is ESPN. The more subscribers they lose, the more the providers are pressed to keep their costs down, which is impossible because ESPN's costs are always going up. I get it to a point...every single game is available on TV now because ESPN is pouring billions of dollars into providing live content, and that cost can only be recouped from subscribers. But ESPN also wastes a crapton of money trying to insert itself into every political issue that is even remotely sports-related, the vast majority of which the average sports viewer couldn't care less about. Not to mention the elaborate sets and personnel for GameDay, etc. I guess that's important to a lot of people...but it's not to me. I wish there was an alternative to ESPN that would focus on game broadcasts and game broadcasts alone.

DISNEY!!!! That’s all that needs to be said, imo.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 04:05:08 EDT »

Disney is attempting strong armed robbery

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 05:09:19 EDT »

My impression is that Disney wants to hurt Dish and Sling and is succeeding.

I have overpaid for Dish for way too long, happy to move over to streaming, which likely will be complete by end of year, but I do want to be able to replay live games. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 05:10:51 EDT »

I use Roku with YoutubeTV. I record EVERY college football game played. If you set a game to record on my system, you can go back. Through the ESPN app I cannot rewind the game videos.

How do you record things?  Do you have your own DVR?

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 05:14:38 EDT »

My impression is that Disney wants to hurt Dish and Sling and is succeeding.

I have overpaid for Dish for way too long, happy to move over to streaming, which likely will be complete by end of year, but I do want to be able to replay live games. 

With YTTV, you can record all games that are available through YTTV. You can also rewind live action through YTTV, but SECN+ is not available through YTTV. You can use your YTTV login to watch SECN+ games using the ESPN app but I don’t think games watched using that app allow for rewind/replay.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 05:17:38 EDT »

With YTTV, you can record all games that are available through YTTV. You can also rewind live action through YTTV, but SECN+ is not available through YTTV. You can use your YTTV login to watch SECN+ games using the ESPN app but I don’t think games watched using that app allow for rewind/replay.

thanks!

Yeah, I was using ESPN + today, doesn't allow either freezing the game or rewinding.  That is way too useful to give up.

It sounds like it won't ever work for the SECN though, and I mostly watch SEC games.  But I'll figure something out...

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 05:17:42 EDT »

How do you record things?  Do you have your own DVR?
You don’t actually record anything. I just set YTTV to “record” all college football games, all college basketball games, and all PGA events. After doing this, you have access to every game on their servers for a period of 6 months (I think it's 6 months).

With YTTV, you could actually "record" every show that they offer every day.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 05:19:33 EDT »

thanks!

Yeah, I was using ESPN + today, doesn't allow either freezing the game or rewinding.  That is way too useful to give up.

It sounds like it won't ever work for the SECN though, and I mostly watch SEC games.  But I'll figure something out...
SECN is available through YTTV so you can "record", rewind, etc. It's only SECN+ games that require using the ESPN app.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2022, 06:05:54 EDT »

SECN is available through YTTV so you can "record", rewind, etc. It's only SECN+ games that require using the ESPN app.

Ah okay, good to know. I guess I need to get YouTubeTV

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 06:25:12 EDT »

I just checked. The DVR storage is unlimited and is saved for 9 months.

This link explains how it works: https://www.techjunkie.com/youtube-tv-dvr-works/
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 05:22:30 EDT »

Yeah Disney is losing it's ass with Disney + and the parks and wants sports fans to pay for their losses. Screw 'em, I can go to the local bar and watch games, I applaud Dish for refusing to submit.       
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 02:48:44 EDT »

Disney channels are back on Dish

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 03:25:23 EDT »

I'm pretty fortunate, our house is within range of a 5G tower, so we were able to cut the tie to cable completely by using a Nighthawk M5 5G cellular modem and a 4K firestick.

I just use ad free Youtube throughout the year, and Youtube TV during the season to what the games in 4k (it's a bit pricey, so ONLY during the season).

The best part is we can travel with this setup and have great connection most everywhere we go

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: