VTTW Board Index
May 29, 2024, 06:41:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is such a weird game.  (Read 1094 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2022, 12:44:21 EDT »

It's our best chance to burn some double coronas in 15 years. Gameday's in town. SEC Nation's in town. Win this game, and we're in the drivers seat for the SECC game, and maybe even bigger trophies. Hendon Hooker would be the odds-on Heisman favorite. Vol Nation and Knoxville is buzzing like it has for no other game since, when? Florida '96? This is the very definition of "big game". And yet...

...We're still playing with house money.

Seriously, would a loss tomorrow demoralize you at all? Would it set this program back in the least? We're already at least 2 years (if not more) ahead of schedule. We go straight chalk the rest of the way and we're 10-2 and almost certainly in a NY6 bowl game. That's probably the worst case scenario. Did anyone see that coming 6 weeks ago?

We have a whole country in our corner tomorrow. Everyone wants to see someone, ANYONE break up this 5-6 team cabal that seems to comprise the playoff every. single. year. For now, we're the media darling. We're America's team. That's not going to last, of course- especially if we can build on this success and the world gets a taste of our very, uh, "special" fanbase. So be it.

The pressure will be there, someday. But not this year. This game is now an opportunity, not something to dread. In fact, I want Bryce Young to play and be at 100%. If we're going to end this streak, I want them to have zero excuses.

Nothing to lose. Bring it.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 12:47:02 EDT »

It's our best chance to burn some double coronas in 15 years. Gameday's in town. SEC Nation's in town. Win this game, and we're in the drivers seat for the SECC game, and maybe even bigger trophies. Hendon Hooker would be the odds-on Heisman favorite. Vol Nation and Knoxville is buzzing like it has for no other game since, when? Florida '96? This is the very definition of "big game". And yet...

...We're still playing with house money.

Seriously, would a loss tomorrow demoralize you at all? Would it set this program back in the least? We're already at least 2 years (if not more) ahead of schedule. We go straight chalk the rest of the way and we're 10-2 and almost certainly in a NY6 bowl game. That's probably the worst case scenario. Did anyone see that coming 6 weeks ago?

We have a whole country in our corner tomorrow. Everyone wants to see someone, ANYONE break up this 5-6 team cabal that seems to comprise the playoff every. single. year. For now, we're the media darling. We're America's team. That's not going to last, of course- especially if we can build on this success and the world gets a taste of our very, uh, "special" fanbase. So be it.

The pressure will be there, someday. But not this year. This game is now an opportunity, not something to dread. In fact, I want Bryce Young to play and be at 100%. If we're going to end this streak, I want them to have zero excuses.

Nothing to lose. Bring it.
I'd rather beat uga, as that puts us in the drivers seat to get to Atlanta
I win tomorrow doesn't matter if we lose to uga

However, being the greedy person I am I want to win both games!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 12:52:12 EDT »

I'd rather beat uga, as that puts us in the drivers seat to get to Atlanta
I win tomorrow doesn't matter if we lose to uga

However, being the greedy person I am I want to win both games!

If I can only pick one, I'd rather win tomorrow. Then we'd likely be in good position for the playoff even if we lose to UGA, and we wouldn't have to face bammer again (in Atlanta, where they NEVER lose) to get there. Besides, we have a (much) longer losing streak to these gumps. Plus I live here now. It's personal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 01:01:46 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 12:53:04 EDT »

So, are you guys going to do it tomorrow, or not?  Are you going to eat at the grown ups table, or remain at the little kids table?  Has UT arrived?

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 01:30:52 EDT »

This game is going to be a stomach turner. I can already feel the adrenaline. I would love for this streak to end. If both teams play their best, who knows who wins. I just worry about their depth and running the ball might wear our short-manned defense down.

volsboyinsodak
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 02:00:55 EDT »

I would not pick... I want them both.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 03:06:27 EDT »

At the beginning of the season I thought 8-4 was improvement. Now, 10-2 seems to be the floor unless the rails fall off.

It is just such a good feeling to actually go into one of these games thinking that we at least have a chance. It’s a great feeling and I’m going to enjoy it. I’ll be bummed if we don’t win, but I’m really stoked with the direction this program seems to be moving.

If CJH and crew can attract a few more high level SEC-type players (especially on the defensive side of the ball) I think this program is well on the way to being ‘back’. I’m super impressed by the progress that this staff has made.

As a side note, I think that the expansion of the playoffs will make it easier for schools other than Bama, UGA, and OSU to recruit more of the top level athletes.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 03:21:54 EDT »

Absolutely nothing to lose tomorrow which I think make Heupel & the team dangerous. If we lose, still might catch them in SECCG. I don't think we are ready for prime time just yet, couple more recruiting & transfer portal cycles. But, hey, we played ourselves into this position. Let's have fun!
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 03:50:30 EDT »

If CJH and crew can attract a few more high level SEC-type players (especially on the defensive side of the ball) I think this program is well on the way to being ‘back’. I’m super impressed by the progress that this staff has made.

There are NINE 5-stars scheduled to be at the game along with an army of 4 stars… in recruiting, getting them here is a big part of the battle.  They are going to have an experience they will never forget.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 03:51:21 EDT »

...........especially if we can build on this success and the world gets a taste of our very, uh, "special" fanbase.

Yep. That's us.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 04:06:20 EDT »

There are NINE 5-stars scheduled to be at the game along with an army of 4 stars… in recruiting, getting them here is a big part of the battle.  They are going to have an experience they will never forget.

The bad news is that probably half of them are here to see bammer. But maybe our performance on the field can change some minds.

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 04:15:53 EDT »

The bad news is that probably half of them are here to see bammer. But maybe our performance on the field can change some minds.

This ends here…. Tomorrow.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 02:17:40 EDT »

Agreed, they'll see Bama too, but there little argument that the experience at Neyland is 5x's what you get in Tuscaloosa. UT is fresh, Bama is stale and boring.

It's going to be rocking, and it's a huge part of being in college, the day-to-day life they'll live, and it matters a lot.

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 05:29:31 EDT »

I do not expect to win. Obviously I want to win, but I think we need to be at full strength to beat Alabama, and we aren't. The only thing that would disappoint me about this game is if we come out and get boat raced, a la 2016. We need a good showing. Reasonable people understand that this is year 2 of what was expected to be a lengthy rebuilding project and we're way ahead of schedule. If we're competitive and send a signal that Alabama's days of flat-out dominating this series are gone, I think that'll be enough when the sun comes up tomorrow.

I'm torn on whether I'd rather beat Alabama or Georgia. Obviously if there were nothing else at stake, give me Alabama over Georgia any day. And it's way past time to end this streak. But we can't win the East without beating Georgia...plus if we could find a way to beat UGA we would have an opportunity to play Alabama again at full strength. I suppose that a win over Alabama and a loss to UGA gives us a chance of sneaking into the CFP if UGA beats Alabama in the SECCG but it's such a long shot that I wouldn't be pinning any hope on it.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 06:01:09 EDT »

I do not expect to win. Obviously I want to win, but I think we need to be at full strength to beat Alabama, and we aren't. The only thing that would disappoint me about this game is if we come out and get boat raced, a la 2016. We need a good showing. Reasonable people understand that this is year 2 of what was expected to be a lengthy rebuilding project and we're way ahead of schedule. If we're competitive and send a signal that Alabama's days of flat-out dominating this series are gone, I think that'll be enough when the sun comes up tomorrow.

I'm torn on whether I'd rather beat Alabama or Georgia. Obviously if there were nothing else at stake, give me Alabama over Georgia any day. And it's way past time to end this streak. But we can't win the East without beating Georgia...plus if we could find a way to beat UGA we would have an opportunity to play Alabama again at full strength. I suppose that a win over Alabama and a loss to UGA gives us a chance of sneaking into the CFP if UGA beats Alabama in the SECCG but it's such a long shot that I wouldn't be pinning any hope on it.

Tillman is out. I would assume McCullough is out. Word is Hadden may be out. Anybody got any info? Not good. But not insurmountable in theory lol. 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 06:49:19 EDT »

Absolutely nothing to lose tomorrow which I think make Heupel & the team dangerous. If we lose, still might catch them in SECCG. I don't think we are ready for prime time just yet, couple more recruiting & transfer portal cycles. But, hey, we played ourselves into this position. Let's have fun!
I agree. Our ranking is pretty generous. I think we haven't been truly tested. The opponents we have played so far were not as good as advertised. Decent, but not real good. A win today would change that perception greatly. If we can get off to a fast start and make them have to throw instead of running the ball would be a great help. Like many Vols games in recent history, we just don't know.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 07:03:27 EDT »

Our odds of stopping the run are pretty good, our per carry run D is 7th in the country. OTOH, they have Jamir who is averaging the most ypc in the country. That definitely  a match up to watch.

Having said that, while Jamir is a legit elite rb, IMO he snuck a few against defenses game planned to stop Bryce after Bryce was injured. He won't have that element of surprise in Neyland.

I guess we will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: