VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 07:23:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Striking a balance this Saturday  (Read 722 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2022, 07:25:09 EDT »

Normally in a game like this, you want to jump out to a quick lead and then pull the starters. But when your qb is in the thick if the Heisman race, he needs style points. As great a season as HH is having, his stats don’t exactly jump off the page- especially compared to guys like CJ Stroud, who’s putting up PlayStation numbers against the weak sisters of mercy. Hooker has come out early against our two cupcake opponents thus far, but maybe they should leave him in a little longer this week.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 07:57:55 EDT »

His numbers don't jump off the page?  Leading the NCAA in yards, a TD/int ratio of 15/1, and a 70% completion rate.   An RTG of 188.

Those don't just pop off the page, they jump directly into my eyeballs and penetrate my brain.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 08:13:44 EDT »

Normally in a game like this, you want to jump out to a quick lead and then pull the starters. But when your qb is in the thick if the Heisman race, he needs style points. As great a season as HH is having, his stats don’t exactly jump off the page- especially compared to guys like CJ Stroud, who’s putting up PlayStation numbers against the weak sisters of mercy. Hooker has come out early against our two cupcake opponents thus far, but maybe they should leave him in a little longer this week.

As much as I would love to see Tennessee with a Heisman winner, they are playing for Championships.  Pull him early and get Milton as many snaps as possible.

Just my opinion
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 08:27:26 EDT »

His numbers don't jump off the page?  Leading the NCAA in yards, a TD/int ratio of 15/1, and a 70% completion rate.   An RTG of 188.

Those don't just pop off the page, they jump directly into my eyeballs and penetrate my brain.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player

Here’s the national passing leaders.

We see HH every week. We know how great he’s been. But there are Heisman voters outside the southeast who may have only seen his highlights, if they’ve seen him at all. When it comes time to cast their ballots, they may just pull up that chart and say “eh, he’s good, not great”, and pull the lever for Stroud or Caleb Williams or someone else.

Unfortunately, style points matter.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 08:38:39 EDT »

Okay, I see that actually our offense has the most yards, and I forgot we have a really good running game in addition to Hooker.  

But QBR is much more important than yards, and Hooker is second only to CJ Stroud

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

If those voting for the Heisman don't realize that, they should not be allowed to vote.  The great majority of them are informed reporters or (for the most part) former QBs, so they should be smarter voters than you give them credit for being.

And do stats really matter that much?  In spite of protests to the contrary, what seems to matter most is big wins in November.

I feel confident that it will come down to how each performs in the Georgia and Michigan games, respectively.  Since Michigan is later in the year, that's an advantage for CJ.

But...last year against Michigan, although he threw for 300+ yards and two TDs, his RTG was a lackluster 84 and they got smoked.  That actually did factor into the race between him and Young.

This year is no different.  IMO, it will come down to their respective performance in those two games.

Interestingly, Michigan is 4th in pass efficiency D while uga is 5th.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

But you know what?  Last week bammer was in the top 10 also.  They are all the way down to 21 now.  

And uga has played NOBODY (well, Oregon, but in that game they got "bad Bo").

My take...at this point could care less about the Heisman.  Keep Hooker away from injury. If he plays well against Uga and we win the game, he will definitely be the leading candidate, and then we can all hold our noses and root for the Michigan D.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:59:57 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 09:36:48 EDT »

As much as I would love to see Tennessee with a Heisman winner, they are playing for Championships.  Pull him early and get Milton as many snaps as possible.

Just my opinion

I agree. If Milton's the man next year get him game reps this year. Hendon wants the Heisman... go out against UK and Ugly and win it.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 11:44:39 EDT »

Selfishly, I couldn’t care less who wins that award that shall not be named. I’m sure that a lot of others, including HH, would love for him to win it. For that reason only, I would like for him to win it.

Having said that, the Award that shall not be named is secondary to several other things.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 01:01:00 EDT »

Selfishly, I couldn’t care less who wins that award that shall not be named. I’m sure that a lot of others, including HH, would love for him to win it. For that reason only, I would like for him to win it.

Having said that, the Award that shall not be named is secondary to several other things.

The heisman was not worthy of Peyton.  It did not deserve to have Manning’s name associated with it.  Peyton > heisman

Wherever you go, there you are.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 02:21:10 EDT »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player

Here’s the national passing leaders.

We see HH every week. We know how great he’s been. But there are Heisman voters outside the southeast who may have only seen his highlights, if they’ve seen him at all. When it comes time to cast their ballots, they may just pull up that chart and say “eh, he’s good, not great”, and pull the lever for Stroud or Caleb Williams or someone else.

Unfortunately, style points matter.
Agreed.. I could care less about the hypeman, ever since Peyton got shafted in 97.. Eyes on the real prize is staying healthy and beating UK and then jaw jaw
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 04:44:52 EDT »

Hooker staying healthy is paramount to any success we have yet to achieve, it's not worth the risk. I remember Chuck Webb ending his career against Pacific. Hooker doesn't win the Hiesman if he doesn't play the remainder of the season, that's a certainty.            
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: