VTTW Board Index
June 06, 2024, 08:08:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking ahead  (Read 717 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2022, 05:26:24 EDT »

With the free Covid year still in the mix, it’s hard to say exactly what we stand to lose after this season, but it looks to be a lot. Juniors like Hyatt and McCoy will have decisions to make. Hooker, Tillman, Wright, Young, Banks- all gone. In the past, next year would be looking like a rebuild season. But I think we’re about to hit the portal like never before, and I think we’ll be one of, if not THE most attractive portal destination.

I would encourage any underclassmen who have the opportunity to go get that money. Not because I’m trying to push them out the door, but I’m excited to see how CJH can build this roster in his own image.

So will next year be a step back? Probably. But maybe not depending on the portal. But beginning in 2024, I think we’re back to stay. It’s exciting to think about.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 07:45:50 EDT »

I thought Heupel and company would have hit the portal much more than they did on defense especially....It appears on the surface that Hype isn't real big on transfers. IMO they are hit and miss and most don't transfer to sit and watch. I would have thought after last season we'd brought in a boatload of DBs and linebackers in the transfer market...and transfers on the defensive side would have been knocking down our doors.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 07:52:43 EDT »

I thought Heupel and company would have hit the portal much more than they did on defense especially....It appears on the surface that Hype isn't real big on transfers. IMO they are hit and miss and most don't transfer to sit and watch. I would have thought after last season we'd brought in a boatload of DBs and linebackers in the transfer market...and transfers on the defensive side would have been knocking down our doors.

True, but wasn't UT alleged to be under a self-imposed scholarship limit?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 08:01:14 EDT »

I don't think Heupel will ever hurt for receivers or qb imo. Keyton may come back to supplement the youngsters. I'd Hyatt is definitely gone. McCoy? 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 08:08:58 EDT »

True, but wasn't UT alleged to be under a self-imposed scholarship limit?

Yeah. It was never officially confirmed, but most agree that we held back last year to appease the NCAA. I’m assuming the shackles are off this year.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 08:18:48 EDT »

We cut ourselves 5 scholarships...As bad as our DBs and linebackers were we still could have taken transfers over high school recruits that have to develop.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:20:44 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 08:24:30 EDT »

Yeah. It was never officially confirmed, but most agree that we held back last year to appease the NCAA. I’m assuming the shackles are off this year.

And if that’s the case, then it will actually be a good thing, because I think we’re going to be in the running for a different class of transfer now as opposed to then. If we had filled out the roster with a bunch of 3* guys then, we might not have room for the 4 and 5*’s I think we’re about to land.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:29:58 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 08:25:09 EDT »

We cut ourselves 5 scholarships...As bad as our DBs and linebackers were we still could have taken transfers over high school recruits that have to develop.

Right. It will be interesting to watch the off season. I suppose "git shirts" remain an option to open spots.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 08:48:13 EDT »

we did take at least 3 DNs on the portal, without much success

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 09:01:24 EDT »

we did take at least 3 DNs on the portal, without much success

DBs? If not, what is a DN?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 09:02:53 EDT »

Taking portal players is a crap shoot...Just don't think Heupel is big on transfers.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 09:43:13 EDT »

DBs? If not, what is a DN?
typing is rockets science

Besides, spell checking is for sissies

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 10:33:58 EDT »

Taking portal players is a crap shoot...Just don't think Heupel is big on transfers.

I mean, he currently has a transfer leading the Heisman race. If he wasn't big on them before, he has to have at least softened his stance by now.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 12:04:16 EDT »

I think we were attractive last year, but this year we're a magnet. That having been said, I think we only take 4 or 5.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 03:47:42 EDT »

I mean, he currently has a transfer leading the Heisman race. If he wasn't big on them before, he has to have at least softened his stance by now.

Didn't have much choice at QB....Damn near all the QBs transferred out and Harrison Bailey couldn't play in Heupels system....Didn't leave much to work with. He tried all he could to play the QB he got to transfer here....To his credit he was smart enough to know that wasn't going anywhere.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 03:55:41 EDT »

Hendon didn't have to use the portal, as he had graduated from Va Tech.

That said, its not like Heupel turned his nose up at Bru.  I think he is fine with the portal, and I expect to see some success with it in the off season.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: